LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Clear Bra

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-08, 11:45 PM
rueym
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Nospinzone
Personally, I don't like these clear bras. I can always see the line no matter how good the bra or how well it was applied. I know they offer protection, but I prefer the clean look without it, recognizing that there could be tiny dings here and there.
i used to not like the line but then again the advantage is that you know it's there to serve a purpose. Heck all cars have a line that separates the hood and the fenders, so if you say to yourself it's just a line to serve a better purpose you accept it.
Old 10-21-08, 11:50 PM
rueym
Driver

Originally Posted by Vi-Tuyen
I bought the car and it has 3M came with it, now the 3M turn yellow. will the warranty cover this? anyone know?
i think they will cover the warranty if you had the receipts. i dunno how it will work if you didn't have the receipts of the installer. I checked my warranty card and it requires you have it to claim it filled out to have the coverage.
Old 10-22-08, 06:02 AM
alsilverbullet
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 18 Posts

I have 3M film on all my cars and have no issues with either turning yellow. I always use Plexus plastic proctector on the clear bras especially after a wash. This gives the film a nice shine as well as keeps it soft. In past experiences I have noticed that when the film gets hard/dry it starts to turn yellow. I believe putting a protectant on it helps. I also keep my cars in a garage so I am sure that also helps.
Old 10-22-08, 11:36 AM
Vi-Tuyen
Driver

Originally Posted by rueym
i think they will cover the warranty if you had the receipts. i dunno how it will work if you didn't have the receipts of the installer. I checked my warranty card and it requires you have it to claim it filled out to have the coverage.
holly crap. I called Sewell Lexus and they said it suppose to be like that on the white car (not my Ls but on my RX350). they said on the white car the 3m film is yellow ,Is this True? or should I contact 3M about this?
Old 10-22-08, 11:47 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Vi-Tuyen
holly crap. I called Sewell Lexus and they said it suppose to be like that on the white car (not my Ls but on my RX350). they said on the white car the 3m film is yellow ,Is this True? or should I contact 3M about this?
definitely not true.....

if that's the case, tell them to apply one NEW piece (small) on the hood right by the old piece. ask them to do that in front of you, and see if there is any yellowing right there.

if yes, then i guess nothing you can say. if not, tell them to explain how "yellowing" of clear bra is part of its "feature"

and in short, there should be no yellowing, period
Old 10-22-08, 02:54 PM
Whipple1
Rookie

What is involed in removing the bra if it gets damaged? Does it damage the paint?
Old 10-22-08, 02:58 PM
slybydesig
Rookie

I took my boss's car to get the ClearBra, or Roadblock package. Its one of the best moves he made for his car. I was there when they started to apply the film. They where eager to have me watch and took pride in their work. I saw the car that evening and wow, for the protection and increased value its worth a very hard to see line. The set up came with a Life Time Warranty and they would repair any yellowing, pealing and even very minor rock ships that affect the film. If anybody is in San Diego and wants a place to get this done, let me know and I will pass on their information to you.
Old 10-22-08, 02:59 PM
slybydesig
Rookie

Originally Posted by Whipple1
What is involed in removing the bra if it gets damaged? Does it damage the paint?
No. If its down by a professional. I would say its much like window tinting. If you get a seasoned professional to apply or remove you should be fine.
Old 10-22-08, 03:29 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by slybydesig
No. If its down by a professional. I would say its much like window tinting. If you get a seasoned professional to apply or remove you should be fine.
i think it should say if done right, it shouldn't damage the paint. but if you just randomly pull, even for professionals, you can pull the paint up as well. sometimes moisture and heat needed
Old 10-23-08, 08:11 AM
slybydesig
Rookie

Originally Posted by rominl
i think it should say if done right, it shouldn't damage the paint. but if you just randomly pull, even for professionals, you can pull the paint up as well. sometimes moisture and heat needed

Sorry I did mean done, I was thinking and typing at the same time.

We also were given a solvent to use strictly on the clearbra every six months. They gave us a 6 year supply of this solvent and said don't use normal waxing on the treated areas because this will increase the chances of yellowing in time.
Old 10-23-08, 08:44 AM
zzzzdoc
Lead Lap

I put 3M on my Lambo. Clearly the risk of rocks hitting the front was more than I was willing to risk. The native paint does look much better (there are some imperfections in the 3M when stretched to fit complex curves), but it has probably saved me a ton in repainting.

I also had heard that the Ventureshield looked better, but after my installer was at my house ready to install it, he changed his mind as he was having issues with it.

Do the whole hood - no lines, as Henry said.
Old 10-23-08, 10:58 AM
slybydesig
Rookie

ZZZdoc, how do you like the LS430UL in comparison to your LS600L?
Old 10-24-08, 06:57 AM
zzzzdoc
Lead Lap

Different cars. Each with pluses and minuses. The LS600hL is more refined, and you are higher up, the LS430 has the bigger trunk. Each is mindless to drive. Point and go.

Not sure which is quieter with the gas engine going. Might be the LS430UL.

Can't lose with either.

BTW, I tried removing a clear bra from a co-workers car with a heat gun. We gave up after a while. I think pros can do it easier, but hers was a monster.
Old 10-24-08, 08:21 AM
sellshomes
Pit Crew

3M-saw it removed from a car recently, it came off real easy.
Old 10-24-08, 08:34 AM
kalvano
Lead Lap

We use ClearMask here, and it's been great. No yellowing at all.

For anybody looking to have it done, have it done by a pro. I've seen two done by people who thought we were ripping them off ($600 for the whole front end), and it looked terrible. I mean really bad. There is a reason it costs so much, and most of that is paying a pro to do the installation.

Quick Reply: Clear Bra