LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Clear Bra

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-08, 08:20 AM
kmaahs
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Clear Bra

3M is the most famous of these products and the most expensive. Does any one have insights into the differences between it and ClearShield, Invisible Mask, Ventureshield or any others? Do they all use the same type of material, perhaps purchased from 3M? Insights into their possible different quality levels, or have you had experience with any of these, especially other an 3M?
Old 10-07-08, 08:33 AM
1989Lexus
Lexus Test Driver

I have 3m on my car... I got it installed from the dealer. After a few months in the sun it started turning yellow. I had it replaced @ the dealer because i have the lifetime warranty from peeling/yellowing. Ive been hearing alot of good things about Venturabra? but Im not sure where to get. As long as you have a lifetime warranty from peeling/yellowing. I dont think it matters which one you get as long as it protects your front bumper/hood/mirrors.

Good Luck.
Old 10-07-08, 11:13 AM
garyr
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the 3M shield on my car now for about 8 months.....No problems. My front end was starting to get chipped so I had it installed $600.

You should get something, whatever your choice.

I'll tell you a story that sold me on 3m. I have a 750 pound motorcycle parked in my garage next to the LS. Long story short it got knocked over into my car. the end of the handlebar came to rest on my mirror. So the bike was half way over just the end of the bar was resting on the folded mirror holding up the bike. The 3m clear shield that was over the mirror protected it from getting scratched. Their is only a small mark in the plastic 3m product not on the paint.

You get what you pay for. Not saying the other product are bad but I did my research at the time when I purchased it and 3m had the thickest coating. Once it's on you can't see it.
Old 10-07-08, 11:16 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

3m have more orange peel and yellow more easily than ventureshield, but it's more durable in terms of retaining shine imho. i have ventureshield now and used to have 3m so i could tell the difference
Old 10-07-08, 12:26 PM
sellshomes
Pit Crew

I have 3-cars with 3m ClearBra, all were put on by the same professional installer. Its expensive, but cheaper than a paint job over and over again.

None of my cars have yellowed with 3M, except my Viper is yellow to start with.
Old 10-07-08, 02:55 PM
Whipple1
Rookie

Originally Posted by sellshomes
I have 3-cars with 3m ClearBra, all were put on by the same professional installer. Its expensive, but cheaper than a paint job over and over again.

None of my cars have yellowed with 3M, except my Viper is yellow to start with.
Have you or anyone cleared over the rear bumper,Im only asking because I have never had one installed before
Old 10-07-08, 04:24 PM
sellshomes
Pit Crew

I ClearBra'd the rear deck lid where it might get dinged up from packages or what not.
Old 10-08-08, 02:47 PM
phoenix_DD
Driver

wouldn't the ding leave a mark in the clearbra? or does it help a lot and prevents dings? Sorry, I don't know much about clear bra except that it protects the paint from any harm.
Old 10-08-08, 03:30 PM
LeX4u2nV
Driver School Candidate

The clear bra won't help from dings but it helps from scratches and chips big time, especially the front end. It also protects from love bug season here in Florida. The whole front end could be black from dead love bugs over here.

I had the 3M clear bra installed on my 2005 Chevrolet Corvette and it has saved my front end from a TON of rock chips since the car is so low. When I had mine installed it came with a 5 year warranty against yellowing and peeling so I wasn't worried about it discoloring. I have an orange corvette so I can't tell if it turned yellow or not on the body, but I had the headlights covered and those are still crystal clear.

The key is to have someone with lots of experience install the shield, I think some of the yellowing may be due to what lubricant installers use on the film because I always here stories of clear bras turning yellow, no matter what brand it is.
Old 10-19-08, 05:33 PM
rueym
Driver

Originally Posted by 1989Lexus
I have 3m on my car... I got it installed from the dealer. After a few months in the sun it started turning yellow. I had it replaced @ the dealer because i have the lifetime warranty from peeling/yellowing. Ive been hearing alot of good things about Venturabra? but Im not sure where to get. As long as you have a lifetime warranty from peeling/yellowing. I dont think it matters which one you get as long as it protects your front bumper/hood/mirrors.

Good Luck.
did you take it to the carwash and purchase the sealant/wax applied by the machine? This will make it turn yellow quicker as the film lets the paint breathe and it absorbs the color pigments of the wax.
Old 10-19-08, 05:37 PM
rueym
Driver

Originally Posted by kmaahs
3M is the most famous of these products and the most expensive. Does any one have insights into the differences between it and ClearShield, Invisible Mask, Ventureshield or any others? Do they all use the same type of material, perhaps purchased from 3M? Insights into their possible different quality levels, or have you had experience with any of these, especially other an 3M?
i was sold on the 3m as they said to look at the warranty on the 3m it is more competitive than the other brands which basically only cover the film in ideal situations. The 3m will be covered for 5 years vs the others claim lifetime, but this one states most undesirable outcomes are covered.
Old 10-21-08, 02:55 PM
Nospinzone

Received 419 Likes on 323 Posts

Personally, I don't like these clear bras. I can always see the line no matter how good the bra or how well it was applied. I know they offer protection, but I prefer the clean look without it, recognizing that there could be tiny dings here and there.
Old 10-21-08, 03:47 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Nospinzone
Personally, I don't like these clear bras. I can always see the line no matter how good the bra or how well it was applied. I know they offer protection, but I prefer the clean look without it, recognizing that there could be tiny dings here and there.
that's why you do the whole hood
Old 10-21-08, 08:11 PM
Vi-Tuyen
Driver

I bough the car and it has 3M came with it, now the 3M turn yellow. will the warranty cover this? anyone know?
Old 10-21-08, 09:07 PM
LeX4u2nV
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Vi-Tuyen
I bough the car and it has 3M came with it, now the 3M turn yellow. will the warranty cover this? anyone know?
the 3M warranty will cover it

Quick Reply: Clear Bra