LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Just got my 2009 All Wheel Drive LS-460

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-08, 05:32 PM
Johnny
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Patric
Beautiful car.

How does that air suspension ride with AWD? Its an option I would have picked had it been available in 07 on the SWB cars.

Thanks;

Pat
I can answer that, since I've been driving the 600 for a while now.

Very different coming from the SWB 460.

My wife obviously likes the Comfort mode, it is very, very plush. I use this one 80% of the time. This ride impresses me a lot - better than the best limo. Definitely RR/Bentley class ride.

The Hybrid mode is a lot like my previous 460. Seldom use this one.

The Sport mode is very firm, especially when coming from the Comfort mode - almost bone jarring. I use this one before entering turn at higher speeds, and at higher than normal speeds - the suspension talks to you in this mode. Coming from sports cars in my past, I appreciate this mode if and when it is appropriate - nice to have it when I need it.

Also, the air suspension is much quieter and in control going over speed bumps (no squeaks, which was a problem with my 460). And of course, the ability to lift the car a couple inches at will is a bonus, when going over high curbs.

I imagine the AWD doesn't affect the suspension characteristics a whole lot, so my guess would be that L cars would be the same. Tires would be a greater ride factor on the other hand. So going from the stock 18" to lower profile tires would be quite noticeable. At least, I noticed a big improvement from my 460's 18" to the 600's 19". Maybe Andrew or others can shed a light on even lower profiles.

Last edited by Johnny; 10-28-08 at 08:09 PM.
Old 10-28-08, 07:15 PM
fiordav
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by WhitBaby
Dunno if you noticed when test driving the '08 LS460, but it really turns sharp.

Does your AWD turn as sharp?

Whit
The 2008 that I test drove had the same feel with regard to sharp turn in. but to be honest, that test drive did not allow for much spirited driving. Both cars feel like like what they are - large luxury cars. The ride in my 2009 AWD L-460 is a little quieter and smoother in the comfort setting than I remember in that 2008 test. There is some body roll, but it is not objectionable, since the darn thing rides so nice ! It is not a BMW nor does it try or want to be. I can't think of a better car to cruise long distances in. Update - I finally figured out the advanced park assist - it works very well ( once you get that initial alignment down ! ). I will post some pics as soon as it stops raining around here. Don't want any bad karma ! This thing is one sweet ride.
Old 10-28-08, 08:53 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 219 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by bruceko
Did the dark colored floor mats come standard with the car?
My light colored ones are impossible to keep clean.
My Alabaster interior came with those^^ dark gray mats too, not the light ones, & they also include another set of black all-leather rubber mats as well.
Old 10-29-08, 07:07 AM
Dan-O460
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by bruceko
Did the dark colored floor mats come standard with the car?
My light colored ones are impossible to keep clean.
The darker mats came standard with the car. My understanding is that Lexus is moving in that direction for just the very reason you cite. When I brought the car back to the dealer to install the chrome wheels, a service technician checked the fit of the mats because there had been some concern expressed by Lexus that some of the mats were not fitting properly. My mats were fine.
Old 10-29-08, 08:03 AM
vietdeluxx
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats.. Welcome to CL. That is a pimp ride!
Old 10-29-08, 10:50 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan-O460
The darker mats came standard with the car. My understanding is that Lexus is moving in that direction for just the very reason you cite. When I brought the car back to the dealer to install the chrome wheels, a service technician checked the fit of the mats because there had been some concern expressed by Lexus that some of the mats were not fitting properly. My mats were fine.
umm, 2 weeks ago i worked on a brand new 08 ls460l and the mats were still the light color. but yes it gets dirty fast
Old 10-29-08, 11:02 AM
ufoundme1
Driver School Candidate

Congrat's on your new car!
Old 10-30-08, 10:51 AM
Dan-O460
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by rominl
umm, 2 weeks ago i worked on a brand new 08 ls460l and the mats were still the light color. but yes it gets dirty fast
Thanks for the additional info. Perhaps my dealer overstated their understanding or the direction is being taken with the 2009s. Either way, I am glad for the darker mats.
Old 10-30-08, 05:16 PM
Craig B
Pole Position

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts

I have black interior and just use the Lexus all weather mats. The all weather mats are great...

Craig
Old 10-30-08, 05:51 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Yep, love the all weather mats, been using them since day one, except the one for the executive seat that I have to wait for them to order it in ...
Old 10-30-08, 06:19 PM
Mark_Nimda
Rookie

I wasnt aware they made an AWD LS460. That must be awsome in bad weather.

It takes awhile to figure out the Park assist. I have used it a few times just to say i did it and to impress a couple of people But its probably more of a "That's cool" toy than it is usefull. The Nav Unit is awesome, better than my previous LS430.

As far as being a new Lexus owner, I am on my 3rd Lexus and let me tell you something. You have no idea of what you are about to experience. I have owned over 20 automobiles from some of the top rated manufacturers and there is no car built like a Lexus. Nor is any service like Lexus service. You will be treated like royalty my friend. In fact, to be honest, i sometimes feel uncomfortabe with the aristocratic-like treatment I receive because I'm no different than anyone else. I am just fortunate to be able to afford one of the finest automobiles in the world

Congrats again. Enjoy and post up your experiences!
Old 10-30-08, 10:43 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Gojirra99
Yep, love the all weather mats, been using them since day one, except the one for the executive seat that I have to wait for them to order it in ...
you are STILL waiting for yours?!
Old 10-31-08, 06:10 AM
Dan-O460
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by WhitBaby
Dunno if you noticed when test driving the '08 LS460, but it really turns sharp.

Does your AWD turn as sharp?

Whit
Trading up from driving a Cadillac STS for ten years, I find the tighter turning radius on the 460L refreshing. Being ignorant of what I was missing, I am truly enjoying the driving capabilities of this great car.
Old 10-31-08, 06:21 AM
Dan-O460
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Patric
Beautiful car.

How does that air suspension ride with AWD? Its an option I would have picked had it been available in 07 on the SWB cars.

Thanks;

Pat
I finally got around to experimenting with the air suspension system. I agree with Burnaby, the "Comfort" setting is like floating on a pillow. If not for some road noise, you wouldn't even realize there were any bumps in the road. The "Sport" setting gives you more feedback from the road but still a pretty luxurious ride. For the most part, I've kept the suspension in the standard mode and I am enjoying the best of both worlds. However, to increase the awe of my passengers, I will put it in "Comfort" mode and listen to the pleasing tones of contentment.
Old 10-31-08, 08:13 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by rominl
you are STILL waiting for yours?!
No, I said since DAY ONE in my post except for that special mat for the executive seat, I waited a week for that, remember I took a picture to show you as soon as I got it ?

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...48#post3469248

Quick Reply: Just got my 2009 All Wheel Drive LS-460