LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Am I crazy?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-08, 08:22 AM
JustBob
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Am I crazy?

So I have been planning on getting an LS 460 L once my Land Cruiser was paid off, which just happened. Have been looking at them all year, reading this forum etc.

I want a vehicle that is superb for long drives, away from cities. Trips that might last 5 to ten days. Not to mention a great ride when work purposes do take me to larger urban areas like the Bay Area. I'm ready for luxury and willing to pay what it costs.

Then I went to a local car show that kinda tripped me up. There was a beautiful black MB SL55 there, with the top down. And I thought "but I always wanted a fun car too, and I already have two five passenger vehicles." I thought maybe the SL could be the trip car as well. Borrowed a friend's for the weekend. Uh uh. Fun for a few hours.

While driving this car though, met up with a guy with a brand new Audi A8L. Very comparable to the 460L. But upon research, known as a bit more of a "drivers car." (Don't shoot me, I'm just repeating what others are saying).

I went and test drove one, it's fabulous. I like the MMI interface better than the touch screen (I have the touch in my LC). Of course we all know the german cars don't treat us like idiots, you can operate the nav while you drive (voice or direct input). There are a lot of little touches that are super nice.

We located a new 2008 in my colors, with all the options I want save one (dual pane windows- rare). I have to say I'm much more taken with the interior of the A8. Without even negotiating we are at 77k, which is under invoice (must have similar manu rebates in place, as an identical 09 msrp's at 90k). And I just found out the sales mgr is a good friend of one of my biz partners.

I'm not expecting the Audi to compare to the Lexus from a maint point of view (would be great, but I'm being real).

Has anyone else here driven, considered the A8? All of the reviews are glowing, just like the 460. The real world easy highway mileage is less. Where according to many of you the 460 can get 30-33mpg in the right conditions, the Audi will manage 25-27 (it only has a six speed tranny). 3 or 5 mpg difference does not matter to me.

So, am I crazy?
Old 10-28-08, 08:29 AM
jlawr
Lead Lap

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

My biggest let down in the A8 was the sound system -- it's good, just NOT as good as Mark Levenson IMO. For long drives, that was a factor for me.
Old 10-28-08, 08:34 AM
JustBob
Driver

They have two sound systems. The standard is Bose, with like 10 speakers. The upgrade is B&O, with like 17. Since there aren't that many 2008's left, I don't really have a choice, this car has the standard system.

Unfortunately (or fortunately in this case), my hearing is sort shot anyway. I have tinnitus, hyperacussis and hearing loss. So I'm no longer that discerning....
Old 10-28-08, 09:00 AM
Johnny
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Former Audi owner here. Take the cars out for the weekend and really get to know them, like you would a woman. Go with your heart. Me, I would never go back with Audi, too many electrical problems. AUDI is no longer built by Germans as it once was, which has affected its quality rating, imho, but that's just me.
Old 10-28-08, 09:06 AM
JustBob
Driver

Thx Burnaby, what year was your Audi?
Old 10-28-08, 09:46 AM
jlawr
Lead Lap

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

I listened to the B&O Sound System and Still wasn't impressed. Sounds like you really want the A8! Good Luck!
Old 10-28-08, 10:51 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

another thing i am not sure is audi reliability, especially you will be on the road a lotq
Old 10-28-08, 10:55 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 219 Likes on 147 Posts

I love the A8's styling inside and out, it probably is a better driver's car, but besides questionable reliability, it also rides significantly less smooth & plush than the LS460 ...
Old 10-28-08, 11:11 AM
Johnny
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by justbob
thx burnaby, what year was your audi?
1998-100 & 2002-A6

Problems: Air Conditioning, Stereo System replaced three times & still failed. Last failure could not be repaired so Audi literally abandoned me. Dash lights failed repeatedly. Heating system sucked, but AWD was amazing...
Old 10-28-08, 12:44 PM
LeslieRC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here's my 2-cents:

`05.5 A4 - 0 problems
`06 S4 - 0 problems

Personally, although I think the LS460 is a good car, I still would choose the A8 because of the AWD feature. However, my favorite car in this class is the S8.
Old 10-28-08, 02:34 PM
Nospinzone

Received 419 Likes on 323 Posts

I did take a look at the A8 when I was looking to buy in 2007. The A8 definitely has some positives, particularly its driving characteristics. I liked the exterior styling, but the interior didn't impress me, but of course that is strictly subjective. I also wasn't keen on its worst than average reliability rating in Consumer Reports (that's the same reason the MB S550 was eliminated).

But to answer your question, car decision notwithstanding, yes, you are crazy!
Old 10-28-08, 03:53 PM
cheez80
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

hello,
rarely post here, but i've been considering an ls460 for myself, while my dad has an 07 a8 swb.

umm... the telematics (nav, screen resolution, etc) are much better on the 460, but i do like the sexy motorized screen that the a8 has (i like to drive with it retracted at night) as well as all of the nice aluminum interior details (brake pedal, door openers, center armrest buttons, etc). the in-dash changer of the 460 is much nicer and more accessible; the a8 has its changer in the glovebox, which is a bit of a reach when you're trying to load cd's from the driver's seat. the a8's zf transmission is amazing -- it'll do rev-matching downshifts. another problem is that the a/c barely copes with the sometimes 108*F weather we have in LA, and you can't really feel the seat ventilation unless it's like 60* out. the biggest problem with the a8, though, is the shiny quattro logo glued onto the wood trim on the dash: when you're driving away from the sun, it just shines into my eyes like crazy. maybe that's just how i sit, though. might want to check it out before you pull the trigger!

but the a8 has been perfectly reliable, and it's really a blast to drive. tons of grip, even with the all season (not the summer performance) sport pack tires.

good luck!

Last edited by cheez80; 10-28-08 at 03:55 PM. Reason: added some more info
Old 10-30-08, 04:12 AM
carfanmd
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

A8 is a great driving car with the comforts of the LS. Not to say the LS is not also a great driving car...they are very different. LS is more isolated (AWD is less so steering and suspension wise IMO), but they are vastly different. I have Lexus and Audi and I love both. My only concern on the A8 is the residuals. Ask the dealer about the leasing numbers and you will be surprised by the low residuals on the A8. I don't know why but it will be shown you you in black and white. If you want an A8, and I love the car, buy a nice clean low miles used one and let the previous owner eat the monster depreciation. Also know the body is aluminum so it is more of a challenge to repair if damaged. Good luck with your choice. You really can't go wrong with either. BTW, the MMI is nice once you get used to it. I have the B&O sound which is as good as the ML IMO. Again, enjoy and drive safe.
Old 10-30-08, 05:36 AM
luxury1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ultimately it is going to come down to what you like more. We like the LS more but the Audi forum would swear by Audi. The great thing is that you can't make a mistake here, both are superior cars!
Old 10-30-08, 05:58 AM
JustBob
Driver

Thanks everyone, especially CarFanMD for the encouraging words.

Well, I pulled the trigger yesterday. 2008 White A8L, with the Amaretto interior (several different colors, the seat leather is a rich, light brown).

I ended up buying it, using .009 financing (60 mos). This great rate trumped buying a used one. The car is at a SoCal dealer, so I won't get delivery until this weekend.

Sadly, there's no active Audi forum, that I can find anyway, like this great forum!

I always looked forward to the day when I'd be posting pics of my nice new ride, like all the others I have enjoyed here. Guess I could still do it if anyone is interested.

Quick Reply: Am I crazy?