LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Headlights: Small New Discovery that I Made

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-08, 05:45 AM
luxury1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Headlights: Small New Discovery that I Made

I am sure that many of you already know this but I wanted to share something I found yesterday that some of you might not know.

I always drive with my headlights on in the LS460 and when I get out I rely on the auto shut-off. I really like the convenience of the auto shut-off except in rare instances where I like to leave the lights on for better visibility (such as parking lots or a busy street).

Up to this point I didn't think that there was a way to leave the lights on but I found that you can. After turning off the car simply turn off and on the lights with their switch to make them stay on. I can't believe it took me two years to discover something so simple but I thought I would share for those of you who were in the dark like me.

Last edited by luxury1; 11-30-08 at 04:41 AM.
Old 11-29-08, 11:25 AM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Yup, when the car does everything for you, sometimes it takes a while to discover the manual features. Actually I knew about how to leave the lights on, as a corollary I know someone who was driving his new Lexus at night and was expecting the lights to come on 'because it's automatic' and didn't realize for a few minutes it was set on manual.

But yes it can be useful to leave the lights on, although the auto-off time delay has been there since previous LS generations, for security as you leave the car at night. If you leave it on for some time, don't forget to not drain the battery.
Old 11-29-08, 01:01 PM
Helmar
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by encore888
... I know someone who was driving his new Lexus at night and was expecting the lights to come on 'because it's automatic' and didn't realize for a few minutes it was set on manual ....
I've always considered this a Lexus service safety issue.

1. They turn the lights from automatic to off and don't put them back to auto. More than once I've been driving at night following a service appointment and didn't notice that my lights weren't on for a while.

2. Same thing for the proximity sensors. They turn those off, and I assume that they're on. I've grown used to them and depend on them while parking. I've come within an inch of a big repair bill....

I guess that's a danger to getting too used to automatic features. When they stop working without notice you can get in trouble.

HBH
Old 11-29-08, 02:11 PM
Johnny
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

When the trusted nanny leaves town, things can sometimes get messy...
Old 11-29-08, 11:04 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

why would you ever want to leave them on?
Old 11-30-08, 01:41 AM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Helmar
I've always considered this a Lexus service safety issue.

1. They turn the lights from automatic to off and don't put them back to auto. More than once I've been driving at night following a service appointment and didn't notice that my lights weren't on for a while.

2. Same thing for the proximity sensors. They turn those off, and I assume that they're on. I've grown used to them and depend on them while parking. I've come within an inch of a big repair bill....

I guess that's a danger to getting too used to automatic features. When they stop working without notice you can get in trouble.

HBH
Interestingly, I helped out a friend who took delivery of their LS 430 several years ago--the SmartAccess, Park Assist, etc. were all set to 'off' at delivery The dealer did send a technician to their home for the first service appointment, he was there to answer questions and would probably have turned on the features (but I already told them how to do it themselves).
Old 11-30-08, 04:49 AM
luxury1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
It is all about keeping the car in good condition so I leave them on in several instances;

1.) I am in a parking lot and I don't get an end spot. I leave them on so people think that someone is in the car (I have tinted windows so they can't see in) and they are more careful with their car doors.
2.) When I have to parallel park the car on a city street. Many people will back up and lightly hit your car when parking (this is how some idiots know they are far enough back). Thus if I leave the lights on they are less prone to do this as they think that the owner is really near by or someone is in the car so they are more careful.
3.) If I have to park in a place where I am more prone to getting hit like near the corner on a busy city street.

Those are the big ones. I won't leave them on though if I am going to be away from the car for more than 30 minutes.
Old 11-30-08, 08:14 AM
Helmar
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
If you're referring to my post, I don't leave them ON. I leave them on AUTOMATIC, and Lexus service turns them to OFF, which is the issue.
Old 11-30-08, 09:49 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

lol no helmar, im not reffering to your post. i always leave it on automatic.

but this thread was posted because people want to leave their headlights on...i was just curious as to why since this could drain the battery...fairly quickly. lol