LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Low Fuel Light 460L - Is it accurate.

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-08, 08:58 PM
terrain
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Low Fuel Light 460L - Is it accurate.

When the low fuel light comes on we usually have 60 miles left. Has anyone tested to see if this is accurate - IE - driven close to the amount of miles it says you have left before refueling?
Old 12-13-08, 09:03 PM
Johnny
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

It is accurate. I've driven the car at least 60 miles, but I think Lexus by displaying "Low Fuel", are covering your butt. Your driving conditions and idling time are two unknown variables that can drastically affect the amount of miles left in the tank.
Old 12-13-08, 09:05 PM
terrain
Pole Position

Good to know - this is only our 2nd low fuel light.

Nother Question - When you fill up it appears to automatically sense the amount of fuel you have in the tank - is this true? I'm used to having to re-set the computer but with the LS it must have a sensor that tells it how much gas is in the tank ??? I don't remeber our S doing this.
Old 12-13-08, 10:34 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

well, if the light comes up, you probably have around 3 gallons of gas left. use that as a reference
Old 12-13-08, 11:53 PM
3alwi
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it is right

i tried it

u can drive more than what it is written
Old 12-14-08, 10:12 AM
terrain
Pole Position

I'd imagine the LS is not too bad to push on a flat -- but given an incline I bet its a 'Bi..' -- Note to self "Get Gas".
Old 12-14-08, 04:45 PM
terrain
Pole Position

Update - at about 40 miles left it went to "LOW FUEL".... probably drove another 20 until I filled up. It took the car longer that I thought it should to register that it was not "LOW FUEL" - probably a good 3 miles when it registered. Now if I can only get rid of the Low Tire Pressure Message - and I also have a "MASTER WARNING" message...
Old 12-14-08, 09:50 PM
wickedt
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by terrain
Now if I can only get rid of the Low Tire Pressure Message - and I also have a "MASTER WARNING" message...
There is a button under the dash above the gas pedal labeled 'SET', believe that will reset the low tire pressure message. It's just left of the volume control trim box.
Old 12-14-08, 10:39 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

oh and btw, pretty much in most cases, even when it says 0, there is still gas. some people in the gs forum already tried, 0 and another 10 miles, still going.

they are brave
Old 12-14-08, 10:40 PM
terrain
Pole Position

Nice - thanks. I did a serach about low tire pressure on this forum and "WOW" it has been discussed in depth! Found the switch and re-set my tire pressure... all measured the same 'cept 1 was one up. All warning lights are off.

The panel that houses the switch and the volume switch for the beep's is quite flimsey - feels like its held on with a few zip ties.
Old 12-14-08, 11:27 PM
rueym
Driver

Originally Posted by rominl
oh and btw, pretty much in most cases, even when it says 0, there is still gas. some people in the gs forum already tried, 0 and another 10 miles, still going.

they are brave
if they are not brave maybe short on a few bucks to gas up, or too lazy or no time.
Old 12-15-08, 04:48 PM
slybydesig
Rookie

From experience and threw other forums, it is never wise to let a tank go below 2/5ths. There are just to many components that depend on gas constantly working its way threw the system. I try my best to full up after 1/2 a tank. It may be extreme but it has helped to never stall do to know gas. Also I heard here in Cali they can ticket you for not having gas and being stranded on the road. I don't know if that true or not.
Old 12-15-08, 05:25 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by slybydesig
From experience and threw other forums, it is never wise to let a tank go below 2/5ths. There are just to many components that depend on gas constantly working its way threw the system. I try my best to full up after 1/2 a tank. It may be extreme but it has helped to never stall do to know gas. Also I heard here in Cali they can ticket you for not having gas and being stranded on the road. I don't know if that true or not.
just tell them your car broke down, they can't ticket you for that
Old 12-15-08, 06:01 PM
luxury1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You have to be careful about running low as you can bring impurities through your fuel system. Consider a glass that has crumbs in it, most of the crumbs will settle to the bottom. Thus when you are lower your fuel is more dirty.
Old 12-15-08, 08:34 PM
terrain
Pole Position

Agreed - When getting a new car I always like to know how many miles you have when the light comes on - in this case it seems to come on at 60 to 80 miles left which is pleanty to make a fuel stop. I usually fill when it gets a bit above the E.

Quick Reply: Low Fuel Light 460L - Is it accurate.