LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Lexus technology slip

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-08, 05:56 PM
Nospinzone
Forum Moderator

Received 431 Likes on 333 Posts

Originally Posted by luxury1
there was so much complaining and i always thought to myself; these people don't know how lucky they are.
bingo!!!!!
Old 12-17-08, 07:48 PM
Mike_TX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Nospinzone
bingo!!!!!
Just think much luckier we could be, though! (And at these prices, maybe we ought to be.)
Old 12-17-08, 08:26 PM
terrain
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a feeling that even at these prices *Say Fire Sale* the LS460 is still one of their tip profit vehicles.
Old 12-17-08, 11:23 PM
BenLS460
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think that Lexus Navi are awesome.... Easier to use than BMW or any others.... LOL If the graphic on the Navi is better then i'm sure i will have no complain at all
Old 12-18-08, 11:20 PM
PHCMA
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mike_TX
Those of us who have used some other mfr's systems know that Lexus is way behind the curve in some areas of technology. Probably the most obvious one is voice recognition, with navigation coming in second.

I cannot understand how a big company like Toyota can't - or doesn't - purchase the best voice recognition software/hardware available for its flagship sedan. If you've used an Acura VR system, you know how unusable the Lexus one is by comparison. It's flat embarrassing, and I have ended up not using my LS's VR at all as a result. It's just too inaccurate and inconsistent to be of any use.

The LS's nav system is certainly functional, but it lacks so many helpful features that others incorporate into theirs. And now, live doppler weather radar is available as part of XM Weather (and actually in production vehicles), and the intro for the 2010 RX suggests all it's going to get is the silly little "smiling or frowning sun" icons with temperature ranges.

I absolutely love my LS460, but I also love tech, and especially useful tech. I've actually written Lexus to make constructive suggestions about the nav, but I have little hope they'll make it into production even though others have those features now.

The bottom line is that I find it puzzling Lexus makes a premier automobile, yet chooses to use yesterday's technology features in it. Perhaps the only worse example is Mercedes, whose nav and VR systems are stone-age. And since Lexus has imitated M-B from the very start, I guess they feel high tech isn't necessary.

I guess this has been a rant, but I'm hoping Lexus is planning on bringing its tech into the 21st century pretty soon ... like maybe before I'm ready to trade again.

I am just happy that Lexus puts in technology that works and is reliable. something the Germans seem to have a problem with. There is so much interest around the Nav system in cars today. IMO the best thing the car manufacturers could do is put a blank mounting system in and allow a quick way to change out the Nav and Radio systems. The Nav system you have today is obsolete in 18 months. With internet coming and sync this will be the driving force for people to buy new. If you want to keep your LS for many years with out it being outdated the aftermarket might be the way to go when they get up to speed on the LS. If you really want to understand the Lexus Tech you need to do more reading about the drive train, electric steering, safety systems and control systems. This is where Lexus shines.The Nav is on the bottom of the list for many.. ( I for one turn the screen off find it annoying when not in use).

"since Lexus has imitated M-B from the very start" Really who do you think is copying now..If Lexus started making cars when MB started their would be no MB. It is about Philosophy in Manufacturing and Engineering. I know I want my car and my TV built and Designed by Japanese people they seem to have the pursuit of perfection thing down pat....The Germans are just trying to keep up.
Old 12-19-08, 12:24 AM
Johnny
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

The only "major" improvement they could make to current systems would be real-time nav, which would be updated on-the-fly. IOW, the data stream would be situated on a platform such as the Internet or better yet, dedicated satellite links. However, subscriber fees might be a little pricey at the onset to pay for development costs. Real-time mapping is not even available on the Internet, so my suggestion is a mere pipe dream - on the other hand, perhaps the military already have a working model.

Until then, regular Nav updates are all we can depend on.
Old 12-19-08, 09:15 AM
Mike_TX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

With all due respect, I think some of you are missing the point.

The technology I'm talking about is already here and is being used quite successfully by "lesser" brands of cars. What puzzles me is why Lexus is behind the curve on this up-front stuff that people see and touch and use, when it's readily available.

The hidden stuff like electronic steering, etc., is nice, but the average buyer is more impressed by things he/she can interact with directly. To excuse Lexus' shortcomings by saying, "Well, they have a lot of other good stuff." is just silly!

That's like saying, "True, she weighs 300 pounds, but she has nice feet."