LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Lexus technology slip

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-08, 02:26 PM
Mike_TX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Lexus technology slip

Those of us who have used some other mfr's systems know that Lexus is way behind the curve in some areas of technology. Probably the most obvious one is voice recognition, with navigation coming in second.

I cannot understand how a big company like Toyota can't - or doesn't - purchase the best voice recognition software/hardware available for its flagship sedan. If you've used an Acura VR system, you know how unusable the Lexus one is by comparison. It's flat embarrassing, and I have ended up not using my LS's VR at all as a result. It's just too inaccurate and inconsistent to be of any use.

The LS's nav system is certainly functional, but it lacks so many helpful features that others incorporate into theirs. And now, live doppler weather radar is available as part of XM Weather (and actually in production vehicles), and the intro for the 2010 RX suggests all it's going to get is the silly little "smiling or frowning sun" icons with temperature ranges.

I absolutely love my LS460, but I also love tech, and especially useful tech. I've actually written Lexus to make constructive suggestions about the nav, but I have little hope they'll make it into production even though others have those features now.

The bottom line is that I find it puzzling Lexus makes a premier automobile, yet chooses to use yesterday's technology features in it. Perhaps the only worse example is Mercedes, whose nav and VR systems are stone-age. And since Lexus has imitated M-B from the very start, I guess they feel high tech isn't necessary.

I guess this has been a rant, but I'm hoping Lexus is planning on bringing its tech into the 21st century pretty soon ... like maybe before I'm ready to trade again.

Old 12-16-08, 02:37 PM
luxury1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

But for the money I think that they do very well. The LS is not cheap but in comparison to an S (or even a 7 for that matter) you get a lot of technology for the money. Camera, power closing trunk and doors, large nav screen, heated/cooled seats, heated steering wheel, 6 disk changer, etc. are all nice and will come on an LS for less than $70k where the BMW starts at $75 and you start adding all of these options you get to $82.

I didn't buy the LS because it was cheaper though, I bought it because I thought it was better than the S and 7. It is not perfect but it is a very impressive vehicle.
Old 12-16-08, 03:03 PM
kalvano
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The new nav system on the forthcoming RX will have much better voice commands and will probably soon be put into the LS.

Other than that, Lexus has never been a tech leader. Most Japanese companies aren't. They take what exists already and make work 99.9% of the time, instead of 60% or 70% of the time, like Germans.

Of course, a comparable S-class to the LS is about $100K, so there is the roughly $30K price difference to think of as well.
Old 12-16-08, 05:51 PM
Johnny
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

You can't please everybody. I don't use Voice Recognition, it is completely useless to me. But it's there, so be it; maybe I'll talk to it one day to compensate for the unbearable silence in the car. On the other hand, I use APGS 3 or 4 times every day. No other manufacturer has anything like it, and there doesn't appear to be any equivalent anytime soon. But it is a feature that posters in here seem indifferent to, and so for most it just sits there. Lexus can't be all things to all people, but as long as most of what the car offers turns you on, then you probably picked a winner.
Old 12-16-08, 07:00 PM
luxury1
Lexus Test Driver

By the way, if you are disappointed with the LS voice recognition then you would kill yourself with the Range Rover version. It is horrific!
Old 12-16-08, 07:50 PM
mike_g
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by kalvano
Of course, a comparable S-class to the LS is about $100K, so there is the roughly $30K price difference to think of as well.
I dont think so... a base S550 has to be compared to the LS460L with Air Suspension because air is standard and they are the size of an L and I think it's only a 5K difference then. I could be wrong but I'm sure someone will let me know if I am.
Old 12-16-08, 08:00 PM
Mike_TX
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by kalvano
The new nav system on the forthcoming RX will have much better voice commands and will probably soon be put into the LS.

Other than that, Lexus has never been a tech leader. Most Japanese companies aren't. They take what exists already and make work 99.9% of the time, instead of 60% or 70% of the time, like Germans.

I owned 3 different Acura vehicles - an '06 TL, an '06 RL and an '07 MDX, all of which had stunningly good voice recognition. Not only did it understand me 98% of the time, it did many useful things that might otherwise take my hands off the wheel. I could change the climate control in several ways, change radio stations, program the nav, and even tell it to play cut 7 on CD #5. I could even mumble and the VR understood me virtually all the time.

And Acura (Honda) is a Japanese company. Oh, and the most expensive of the 3 cars was the RL, which listed at $52,000 fully loaded.

The nav displayed the name of any street I touched on the map screen; it showed the names of physical features like lakes and national parks and mountain ranges and airports just by touching them on the screen; and it retained much more detail when zoomed out (unlike the LS's, which shows only major highways). And of course, you can program Acura nav systems while moving.

I certainly can't say Lexus has taken what exists and made it work "99.9% of the time". LOL. The voice recognition in both my LS and my former IS350 are/were so incredibly lame as to be all but unusable. And that's odd, since good VR programs obviously exist! Can't Toyota afford them?

I just find it odd they bother to even include stuff if it's only half-assed.

Old 12-16-08, 08:06 PM
Mike_TX
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by luxury1
By the way, if you are disappointed with the LS voice recognition then you would kill yourself with the Range Rover version. It is horrific!
Old 12-16-08, 08:36 PM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

at least you guys have stuff llike that =/

im stuck with an Sc400 that doesnt even have HALF or a third of what you guys are rocking haha

be happy =]
Old 12-17-08, 04:26 AM
luxury1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by vwynn
at least you guys have stuff llike that =/

im stuck with an Sc400 that doesnt even have HALF or a third of what you guys are rocking haha

be happy =]
This is a very good point. I remember when I wasn't in the LS league but used to visit these sites just to see what people were saying. There was so much complaining and I always thought to myself; These people don't know how lucky they are.

I feel very fortunate to own the LS.
Old 12-17-08, 10:56 AM
jlawr
Lead Lap

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Mike TX,

Maybe you should trade your LS for an RS (with a black interior).

For me, I love the Touch Screen and I'm afraid it's going to disappear in favor of a "mouse" on the console in 2010.

A car is a car first and formost. For Value and Reliability Drive Train AND much good Technology I don't think you can beat the LS.

Just my opinion.
Old 12-17-08, 11:21 AM
slybydesig
Rookie

I think that Lexus played it smart with their tech choices and ease of learning curve for newer models. You would have to ask yourself why Lexus would choose not to incorporate many many features that others have. I say its because of their core market for a LS. Most of Lexus drivers are coming up from older Lexus's. If you had Nav in 98 then in 05 and now in 08/09 you would see that they haven't changed much in functionality. That is a 10 year difference. So to speak if your first Lexus was purchased when you was say 45 you would be 55 and so on. In my guestimation this is where their sales thrive the most. I don't know many 65 year olds who want to be bother with complicated technology when driving not to say their not out there.

Acura TL's and RL's have always based on my knowledge have been tech leaders in this factor. One must consider who is buying TL's and RL's. I think Acura has made it their business to cater to a younger more tech savvy market thus introducing technologies that are widely used in other area's of life style by their target market.

Further more, your answer to your question of Lexus technology can easily be found in their commercials in comparison to say how Cadillac has chosen to market themselves. I have yet to see one super sporty tech savvy commercial by Lexus in the North American region. I see most of their commercials based on you successful adults who owns a house and most likely are just starting a family.

Last edited by slybydesig; 12-17-08 at 11:25 AM.
Old 12-17-08, 12:23 PM
Mike_TX
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jlawr
Mike TX,

Maybe you should trade your LS for an RS (with a black interior).

For me, I love the Touch Screen and I'm afraid it's going to disappear in favor of a "mouse" on the console in 2010.

A car is a car first and formost. For Value and Reliability Drive Train AND much good Technology I don't think you can beat the LS.

Just my opinion.

BLACK interior??? Are you kidding? ....

Old 12-17-08, 12:29 PM
Mike_TX
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by slybydesig
I think that Lexus played it smart with their tech choices and ease of learning curve for newer models. You would have to ask yourself why Lexus would choose not to incorporate many many features that others have. I say its because of their core market for a LS. Most of Lexus drivers are coming up from older Lexus's. If you had Nav in 98 then in 05 and now in 08/09 you would see that they haven't changed much in functionality. That is a 10 year difference. So to speak if your first Lexus was purchased when you was say 45 you would be 55 and so on. In my guestimation this is where their sales thrive the most. I don't know many 65 year olds who want to be bother with complicated technology when driving not to say their not out there.

Acura TL's and RL's have always based on my knowledge have been tech leaders in this factor. One must consider who is buying TL's and RL's. I think Acura has made it their business to cater to a younger more tech savvy market thus introducing technologies that are widely used in other area's of life style by their target market.

Further more, your answer to your question of Lexus technology can easily be found in their commercials in comparison to say how Cadillac has chosen to market themselves. I have yet to see one super sporty tech savvy commercial by Lexus in the North American region. I see most of their commercials based on you successful adults who owns a house and most likely are just starting a family.
I know Lexus is associated with an older demographic, but I know several younger, tech-savvy individuals who own LS460's. I'm going to turn 64 early next year myself, and so I guess I don't fit your description of the average Lexus owner, either.

As much as I love my LS, I will VERY seriously consider going back to Acura when my LS lease is up. I know Acuras are well-built, comfortable and perform well, and tech actually means enough to me that it could dictate the car I buy.

I'm pretty sure I'm not alone. At least I HOPE most Lexus owners aren't tech-stupid Luddites!

Old 12-17-08, 12:47 PM
slybydesig
Rookie

Originally Posted by Mike_TX
I know Lexus is associated with an older demographic, but I know several younger, tech-savvy individuals who own LS460's. I'm going to turn 64 early next year myself, and so I guess I don't fit your description of the average Lexus owner, either.

As much as I love my LS, I will VERY seriously consider going back to Acura when my LS lease is up. I know Acuras are well-built, comfortable and perform well, and tech actually means enough to me that it could dictate the car I buy.

I'm pretty sure I'm not alone. At least I HOPE most Lexus owners aren't tech-stupid Luddites!

Hopefully my statement didn't come across as me thinking so. I too know some very tech savvy individuals of all ages. This was solely baased on my knowledge of the LS460 and having worked with the RX350 and ES330.

Judging by the commercials as well and seeing who Lexus's target market is. I for one found the LS460's technology fairly easy to learn with out reading the manual. Of course not owning one puts in the backseat position when commenting in depth on this topic, but still in yet it would be interesting to know who Lexus is really targeting in general. I would like to see how they tabulate data after market research and how they come up with the decisions they do.

Quick Reply: Lexus technology slip