LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

First snow (dump) in Vancouver (AWD)

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-08, 10:21 AM
Johnny
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

This is yesterday's 8" snowfall in Vancouver. The AWD had no trouble getting in and out many times, even helping my next door neighbor whose '08 ES350 couldn't make it out to pick his wife up at the commuter train station at the bottom of the hill. The whole time he sat in the LS, he wondered aloud to his wife on the LS's ability to negotiate slippery surfaces with mere all-season tires, especially steep hills & curves. I think he's disappointed in his ES as I was last year with the RWD 460.

On another front 3000 miles away, I doubt if the AWD would be that great in Quebec where my brother is struggling to dig himself out recently. Helmar, you must be seeing some of this. I clearly recall those "gentler" 1960s, but evidently those times are still there...

Last edited by Johnny; 12-23-08 at 11:01 AM.
Old 12-24-08, 12:50 PM
Johnny
Pole Position

We got another foot of snow last night. The AWD on this car is phenomenal. I drove my daughter to her work, with no slip, skid or loss of control on the stock all-season tires. This car is a 4X4 truck in disguise. Saw lots of cars stuck or struggling while we glided effortlessly by. Am I shilling this car? You bet I am...

Old 12-24-08, 03:25 PM
zzzzdoc
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Haven't had the chance to test out the AWD. Hasn't snowed down here since I got the LS600hL.

How's Whistler looking? Conditions good? Gondolas behaving?
Old 12-24-08, 04:13 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 224 Likes on 152 Posts

View from my garage It's going to be a not-so-merry Christmas

Old 12-24-08, 07:11 PM
Patric
Pole Position

I think thats about the time I would want a snowmobile parked next to my LS.

Pat
Old 12-25-08, 02:14 AM
Johnny
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Gojirra99
View from my garage It's going to be a not-so-merry Christmas
Andrew, that looks terrible. Your car's in solitary confinement...
Old 12-25-08, 02:19 AM
Johnny
Pole Position

Originally Posted by zzzzdoc
Haven't had the chance to test out the AWD. Hasn't snowed down here since I got the LS600hL.

How's Whistler looking? Conditions good? Gondolas behaving?
ZZ, I avoided Whistler last year for well known reasons on the 460.

This year's another story and I intend to take this baby up there now.

I will be choosy about which gondola I use though.

As for snow in Florida, for the right amount, I can arrange a few truckloads for your driveway...
Old 12-27-08, 09:14 AM
EgermPA
Driver School Candidate

Default 2009 LS460 AWD in the shop

This is the fourth day that my 2009 LS460 AWD has been in the "shop". (I've only owned it for thirty days). I do not recommend this car. If you decide to buy an LS460 AWD, then be sure to get a commitment that you can get an AWD car for a loaner when your car is being serviced. Make sure that commitment is in writing!

I wish that I had purchased the MB S550 4matic!
Old 12-27-08, 09:32 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Aren't RX AWD loaners very easy to get ? I never have problem getting that from my local Lexus dealers, sometimes, I have to specifically request NOT to get an RX AWD, so I can get an ES or an IS as loaners instead.

I think your problem is not with the LS460 AWD itself, but the lousy Lexus dealer who damaged your car during service.
Old 12-27-08, 11:54 AM
Johnny
Pole Position

Originally Posted by EgermPA
This is the fourth day that my 2009 LS460 AWD has been in the "shop". (I've only owned it for thirty days). I do not recommend this car. If you decide to buy an LS460 AWD, then be sure to get a commitment that you can get an AWD car for a loaner when your car is being serviced. Make sure that commitment is in writing!

I wish that I had purchased the MB S550 4matic!
Tell me, are you pissed at the car or the car dealer?

The tone of your posts now suggest to me they are running the show.

Stand up for your rights, that are evidently being trampled on...
Old 12-27-08, 12:49 PM
Johnny
Pole Position

Surreal scenery this morning on Westwood Plateau... Everywhere one looks, cars are buried in deep snow - except mine of course... The AWD handles any situation with grace and aplomb. No snows were too deep. When I encountered deep unplowed streets, I raised the car, and it navigated effortlessly through them. There is no sense of loss of control. The only time it drifted so far was yesterday on a very steep hill in Burnaby. The reason was I tapped the brake as the car was approaching a busy intersection at the bottom. When I released the brake and geared down to 3rd & 2nd, the car quickly resumed complete control, and steadily tracked its way down the hill. Beautiful, and simply amazing, much better that my previous Audi AWD.

Old 12-27-08, 01:32 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Burnaby
The AWD handles any situation with grace and aplomb. No snows were too deep.
I would still be a little worried about the ice/snow possibly making microscopic scratch marks on the paint on the lower portion of the car

I would still rather have a LX570 with this kind of snow to be honest, but with our (usually)short periods of snow, it's hard to justify the LX just for that.

We haven't left home since Thursday BTW

Last edited by Gojirra99; 12-27-08 at 01:41 PM.
Old 12-27-08, 02:51 PM
Johnny
Pole Position

Yes, the rocker panel, lower fenders & bumpers do take some abuse, so I'll pay special attention to these areas in the spring.

I was looking at the LX until this one came along. They are very anxious to deal on those over-sized SUVs.

Holy... Really? Thursday?

Let me know if you need a ride. (Seriously)
Old 12-28-08, 08:26 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Thanks for the offer Hopefully the worst is over . . .
Old 12-30-08, 12:14 AM
AKoch
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I guess I could share some experience driving to/from Whistler regularly... hard to beat an LX, especially with any kind of snow. Over the years (I had an LX470 since the 98) I weathered a number of snowstorms caught on the Sea-to-Sky HWY, easily over three feet (over one meter actually) of falling snow of the highway, and still... no problem while everyone is sitting still.

But your LS600 is awesome I would imagine. Must be really really slick car. I'd love to get it one day. But where I live (Westwood Plateue), it is more practical with the LX... My other cars just don't seem to be able to successfully navigate the hills (440m altitude gain), while the LX just keeps going. Actually both up and down, literally Will easily go up, even towing another vehicle, and will not stop going down, just continue sliding so all I have to do is to steer. Breaks would not stop it. So here is my story.

Quick Reply: First snow (dump) in Vancouver (AWD)