LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Lexus LS460 vs Jaguar XF

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-08, 04:36 AM
mrcd
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Lexus LS460 vs Jaguar XF

Have driven both cars. Totally different cars. The supercharged version of Jag is a WOW. Jag doesnt have service pick up. Jag doesnt have reliability reputation, but doing better. But Jag does have more personality. Totally confused
Old 12-21-08, 05:06 AM
Raph TT
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

??? we had one at the shop.. the switch gear and materials are soo cheesy.. coming straight from the ford focus and ford mondeo. ewwwwwwwwwww

the xf also looks like a 08 mondeo from the rear .

only tricks the xf can do is the trick glove box

I see the Automatic popup selector going bad (imagine if sand or grit where to get i there?? then get stuck when the switchknob is moving up or down..imagine that)
Old 12-21-08, 05:56 AM
luxury1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The LS has so much more class and will be so much more comfortable. But you might find most of us to be partial.

On a related topic, I really like the outside look of the XJ (which is more comparable) but the inside is really unappealing to me.
Old 12-21-08, 09:23 AM
Johnny
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Ouch, ouch, ouch... Oh well, too bad... It's a Ford... So, that's personality? If so, then it can't be a Jag...

Last edited by Johnny; 12-21-08 at 11:05 AM.
Old 12-21-08, 09:31 AM
Nospinzone

Received 416 Likes on 322 Posts

I regularly visit a Jag forum since my wife owns an S-Type. Its not too active any more, but a few people there bought the XF and post their experiences. Overall they are positive. We looked at the car when her dealer had an unveiling when it first came out. It looked nice, but didn't impress me or her.

My concern with buying any Jag is that Ford doesn't own the company.
Old 12-21-08, 10:00 AM
tC350
Driver

The side profile of the Jag kinda looks like a GS....
Old 12-21-08, 10:07 AM
terrain
Pole Position

Supercharged is the only way to go IMO - at least that way you get something that will be a blast to drive - that is until it needs monthly shop visits. Had one at the office - guy loved it day one thru day 61 - since then they have had all sorts of problems with the water-pump, front drive pulley - etc... He has the White (its not even PEARL) with Orange/Red interior. Love the interior color/baseball stich etc... but found that overall quality is a bit lacking when you spend some time with it.

Agree with others - from a few feet away the Supercharged looks quite nice/different but upon further inspection you start to see some of the flaws. I really like the White/Red in the Supercharged but would prefer a pearl option.

IMO - this would be a fun car to have for 2 years (Say Lease) - then give it back.
Old 12-21-08, 10:01 PM
topgun04
Driver

Default Depend on what you are looking for....

XF SC is a sport sedan where LS is a luxury sedan. There is a big difference between the 2. I was debating the same thing and ultimately decide on an LS about 2 weeks ago.. I got a 75K version of LS460 for close to 60K. I would imagine an XF SC 64K-65K would be available in the 61-62K sales price range. So the price is about the same, but these two cars are designed for two different market. And is should be a easy decision. If you want luxury, LS is the way to go. If you want driving excitment, XF SC is the way to go... XF do has a problem with lack of dealership.
Old 12-21-08, 10:40 PM
FAHAD460
Driver School Candidate

I Buy the car to serve me not to serve it go for a lexus and have a pease of mind
Old 12-22-08, 06:39 PM
terrain
Pole Position

When I was looking about a month ago Jag dealers were not dealing in any way that got me 'excited' - Guys seemed to think they could sell the super charged units for MSRP...
Old 12-22-08, 07:33 PM
bikerneil
Driver School Candidate

Default LS vs. XF

If you want to get to know the Service Manager really well, buy the XF. If you want to drive the best made car in the world, get the LS.

Isn't it true you have to pay extra to get Navigation on the XF???
Old 12-22-08, 09:50 PM
kalvano
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by bikerneil
If you want to get to know the Service Manager really well, buy the XF. If you want to drive the best made car in the world, get the LS.

Isn't it true you have to pay extra to get Navigation on the XF???
You have to pay extra to get nav on an LS.
Old 12-22-08, 10:48 PM
terrain
Pole Position

Somewhat hard to belive on Lexus's top of the line - but true. Not that very many make it that way into CA...

Originally Posted by kalvano
You have to pay extra to get nav on an LS.
Old 12-23-08, 07:44 AM
kalvano
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by terrain
Somewhat hard to belive on Lexus's top of the line - but true. Not that very many make it that way into CA...
There are some people that just want to be seen in an LS without paying as much for it.
Old 12-23-08, 07:48 AM
rogers2
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I think the XF is a very nice car. My best friends just purchase one a few months back. I don’t know if it’s on the level of LS460. Truthfully, I honestly never took the time to look at a LS. I guess b/c when I think LS I think old/luxury. However, I do know the XF gadgets/interior looks very nice.

Quick Reply: Lexus LS460 vs Jaguar XF