LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Forbes - What your car says about you

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-08, 10:35 AM
syzygy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Forbes - What your car says about you

Hey guys, I'm new here. Thought I'd start things off with a fun article I found on forbes.com

There is a 2007 and 2008 edition for "What your car says about you." I'll include both editions and bold the lexus models -

Forbes - what your car says about you [2007]

http://www.forbes.com/2007/02/12/car...12carsays.html

Aston Martin DB9 two-door

Base price: $165,400

What it says about you:

You are self-made, and even though you spent upward of $200,000 on a car, you are not showy. Aston owners, says company spokesman Matthew Clarke, "are not particularly extroverted when it comes to their wealth." They are "the sort of people who would prefer to wear the designer brand on the inside rather than the outside."

Bentley Arnage sedan

Base price: $212,990

What it says about you:

Your net worth is around $30 million, but you probably came from ordinary means. You chose this premier British luxury sedan and not its most-similar competitor, Rolls-Royce's attention-getting Phantom, because you prefer a car that is more discreet. You are more interested in rewarding yourself than making a statement.

Cadillac Escalade SUV

Base price: $55,400

What it says about you:

You make around $175,000 a year. You speak your mind and are unapologetic. You enjoy life, and do a lot of entertaining. You seize life's opportunities. You think, "I have to be out doing something. I want to accomplish something." You take risks. You would rather fail than not try.

Chevrolet Corvette two-door

Base price: $44,995

What it says about you:

You are aggressive and in control. You appreciate style and visual aesthetics in homes, cars and architecture. You are successful and seek adventure. And you are probably something of a fanatic; over 95,000 people belong to Corvette clubs, and the National Corvette Museum has 20,000 members.

Dodge Viper two-door

Base price: $81,895

What it says about you:

You are a man's man--96% of Viper owners are guys. You are an executive, manager or business owner. Driving is one of your favorite things to do, and you want to stand out in a crowd. You want your car to be able to outperform most others on the road.

Ferrari F430 two-door

Base price: $168,005

What it says about you:

You are rich, passionate and highly educated. Owning an Italian car means a lot to you, as does commanding technology imported from Ferrari's world-championship winning racecars.

Lexus LS sedan

Base price: $61,000

What it says about you:

You like to travel to exotic locations. You enjoy exercising, reading books and taking classes for personal self-development. You are married and family-oriented, and you make around $175,000 a year. You are around 64 years old. To you, intelligence and politeness are guiding principles in life.

Mercedes-Benz S-Class sedan

Base price: $86,525

What it says about you:

You want to go to the 21 Club, but not necessarily with somebody else--Mercedes says that in a survey, 76% of S-Class buyers listed "fine dining" as their favorite recreational activity, while only 49% listed "conversations." 57% listed domestic travel, 54% listed foreign travel and 44% listed watching sports on TV.

Porsche 911 two-door

Base price: $72,400

What it says about you:

Eighty-eight percent of Porsche 911 owners are male. Your household income is around $390,000, and you are most likely a doctor or a lawyer with your own business or practice. You are about 51 years old.

Rolls-Royce Phantom sedan

Base price: $328,750

What it says about you:

You have over $25 million in liquid assets, three to five homes and six or more cars. You wrote a check for your Phantom, and neither you nor any of your fellow Phantom owners have ever asked how much the Phantom costs per month, although you did ask about its gas mileage (13/19 mpg city/highway).

Forbes - what your car says about you [2008]

http://www.forbes.com/2008/11/21/car..._1120cars.html

Smart fortwo

Base MSRP: $11,590

What it says about you: You walk to your own beat and shun the conventional. You may be a first-time car buyer, urban commuter or a CEO who owns two or three cars. And you most likely don’t like to be judged based on your age or income, but defined by your attitude and lifestyle.

Scion xD

Base MSRP: $14,650

What it says about you: You have a median income of $60,000 and a median age of 39. Your style is probably purposeful and practical. And that you chose a fuel-efficient car probably means you have consideration for the environment.

Toyota Prius

Base MSRP: $22,000

What it says about you: You are most likely a successful baby boomer with a median income of $95,400. You are an independent thinker and a trendsetter who has concern and compassion for human kind.

Infiniti EX

Base MSRP: $31,900

What it says about you: You are most likely a female empty-nester and smart, contemporary and independent. You are fashionably modern and like to surround yourself with luxury items that serve a purpose.

Lincoln MKS

Base MSRP: $37,665

What it says about you: You are most likely male with an average age of 61. You are unconventional but deliberate in your choices. You are more interested in surrounding yourself with things that fit your lifestyle rather than items that make an image statement.

Lexus RX400 Hybrid SUV

Base MSRP: $42,080

What it says about you: You have a median income of $202,900 and a median age of 56. You like understated luxury and you are comfortable with new technology. You like to surround yourself with the finer things in life, but have more than a passing concern for the environment.

Infiniti FX

Base MSRP: $42,150

What it says about you: You are most likely a married man in your early 40s. You are active, youthful and crave sensation-seeking activities. But even in seeking excitement, you are keen to family matters.

Chevrolet Corvette

Base MSRP: $48,565

What it says about you: You are determined, in control and successful. You appreciate classic and timeless style. And you most likely are a joiner; over 95,000 people belong to Corvette clubs, and the National Corvette Museum has 20,000 members.

Porsche 911

Base MSRP: $75,600

What it says about you: You have achieved your professional goals and enjoy rewarding yourself with each milestone you reach. Your household income is around $390,000; your style is distinct but not flashy. And you are most likely a man (87% of 911 buyers are).

Bentley Arnage T

Base MSRP: $246,990

What it says about you: Your net worth is around $30 million, but you probably came from ordinary means. You are more discreet and discerning in your choice of cars, homes and clothes. You are more interested in rewarding yourself than in making a statement.
Old 12-25-08, 03:21 PM
LS2k
Intermediate

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Interesting...the best description of what the LS represents to me is "You like understated luxury and you are comfortable with new technology."
Old 12-25-08, 04:24 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

how does the LS driver make more than the RX hybrid driver...
Old 12-25-08, 05:18 PM
syzygy
Lexus Champion

how does the LS driver make more than the RX hybrid driver...
Yeah that part is probably a little nonsensical. The RX description was made in 2008 whereas the LS description is from 2007. If they updated the LS description I'd imagine they would compensate accordingly.
Old 12-25-08, 05:43 PM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

What are you people reading? I read the LS as "you make around $175,000 a year" and the RX Hybrid as "a median income of $202,900" ... how does that mean the LS makes more than the RX hybrid?

64 and 56 years old respectively... ugh...
Old 12-25-08, 06:21 PM
luxury1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This stupid fortune cookie stuff is way off; I am half the age at 32!
Old 12-25-08, 07:17 PM
syzygy
Lexus Champion

What are you people reading? I read the LS as "you make around $175,000 a year" and the RX Hybrid as "a median income of $202,900" ... how does that mean the LS makes more than the RX hybrid?
I think RXSF meant to ask the original question in reverse - "how does the RX driver make more than the LS driver"

I suppose the question is valid given the large difference in base price. You'd expect someone who can afford more to make more money, but ehh it doesn't matter.

The age part is also way off for me, although I don't quite have the LS it's referring to (the current LS 460 model). I have an older LS 400 from the early 90s. A testament to how well built these machines are
Old 12-25-08, 08:58 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 163 Likes on 139 Posts

That RX Hybrid comment strikes me as odd. Everyone I know in person who has one is earning high 5 figures and most in their 30s-40s that I know of. I am not sure if they are talking about someone buying the vehicle outright as opposed to leasing/financing.
Old 12-26-08, 05:27 PM
syzygy
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Lexmex
That RX Hybrid comment strikes me as odd. Everyone I know in person who has one is earning high 5 figures and most in their 30s-40s that I know of. I am not sure if they are talking about someone buying the vehicle outright as opposed to leasing/financing.
Seems reasonable. I suppose by definition "median" suggests that 50% make less than the amount listed.

I do wonder about the methodology, however. I've never heard of anybody giving compensation information when purchasing cars.

At the same time, the number is far too exact to simply assume that they made a hand wavy educated guess.

In any case I certainly wouldn't be complaining if my car "said" I made $200k+ , I'll take it
Old 12-26-08, 07:39 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Kind of funny. cool to read
Old 12-26-08, 10:12 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

oh my bad...drunk when i typed it
Old 12-26-08, 10:44 PM
Johnny
Pole Position