LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Service dented my new 2009 LS460 AWD

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-08, 08:08 PM
USCRugby
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

New car baby! Fight the power!
Old 12-26-08, 11:09 PM
DeviousOne
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have each person put down in writing what they told you happened. This keeps their stories from changing (as clearly they already have).
Old 12-27-08, 04:19 AM
luxury1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I doubt that they will give you a new car but you need to get something out of this of some value.
Old 12-27-08, 11:36 AM
EgermPA
Driver School Candidate

Default Spoke with GM

I just spoke with the GM of the dealership. He said that he had been out of town, and he didn't know anything about what had happened to my car. He said that he would investigate the situation and let me know the results. Basically, nobody at the Lexus dealership seems to know how my car got dented.

I expressed concern about the process of "pounding out" the dents and repainting a section of a new car to match. The GM said that, for a new car, it is better to repair the quarter-panel and the door than it is to replace these items. Can anybody tell me if that is correct?

Incidentally, the guy who owns the Lexus dealership also owns several other brands. So, the Lexus dealership has moved my car to a Ford dealership, which is where it will be repaired.

Any advice?
Old 12-27-08, 11:50 AM
Johnny
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

I think we've covered any advice above. The only other thing I can suggest is be more assertive with these people. If you get brushed off, as it appears you have been, bring in a lawyer with you... They will walk all over you if you let them; most car dealers have always been known to do that.
Old 12-27-08, 12:02 PM
caha14
Racer

Received 79 Likes on 62 Posts

Have you even been able to see the car and take pictures of the damage? It seems like this is a must before the body shop gets on it, assuming you plan to grab the bull by the horns with these guys and with corporate. Also, did you authorize that they take YOUR car to the body shop?

When you talk about the trunk lid not operating properly, that just doesn't sound like minor damage, and I strongly believe your vehicle should be replaced as a matter of principle.

$30m dealership and all, this is pathetic. And this guy not just owns a bunch of dealerships, I think he is the largest auto dealer in MA.

Last edited by caha14; 12-27-08 at 12:35 PM.
Old 12-27-08, 01:03 PM
EgermPA
Driver School Candidate

Default GM says that Lexus body damage is common

The GM told me that this type of damage to a new Lexus is very common. He said that 20% of their new Lexuses have had body work or paint touchups. I asked him if my car previously had body work or paint before I purchased it. He said they don't have to disclose what they've done unless it is "material", and he wouldn't answer my question.

He said that all Lexus dealerships do this.
Old 12-27-08, 01:08 PM
caha14
Racer

Received 79 Likes on 62 Posts

That 20% statistic is absolute garbage and nothing that any self-respecting dealer (or Lexus corporate) would be proud of or disclose just like that. Some damage will happen on occasion, but not 1 out of 5, at a Lexus dealership of all places. This guy hasn't even been with Lexus that long. Go read their website. On top of that, he didn't even answer your question... unbelievable. At this point, they will say whatever they have to in order to get you to accept their terms.

You've been given plenty of advice. You can either choose to continue to play this game under their rules or take it to another level and make it clear that this is unacceptable: with Chambers, and most importantly, with corporate. Simply listening to whatever nonsense these guys spew will not solve the problem, and praising the S550 over the LS460AWD won't either.

Last edited by caha14; 12-27-08 at 01:13 PM.
Old 12-27-08, 07:48 PM
terrain
Pole Position

What happened to your pic's?

Is this guy 4 real?

Last edited by terrain; 12-27-08 at 07:52 PM.
Old 12-27-08, 08:07 PM
Johnny
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

It should plain as the nose on your face that this GM dealer, and the Lexus dealer are in bed together, protecting each other's interests...
Old 12-27-08, 09:33 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

i definately need to see pictures. i cant believe that a lexus dealership, or any brand for that matter, would brush off this mattr if the damage is so great that the trunk lid is not opening correctly.
Old 12-27-08, 10:16 PM
elsmooth
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Dented Vehicle

My two cents worth. I agree with what everyone else has said. The issue for me is that the car is now devalued. A Carfax report will be issued once it is repaired and if you try and sell it you will lose significant value in the vehicle. This should be your main argument. For validation, talk to an appraisal and see how much your car is worth now. Yes, they might do a spectacular job on repairing it, but it will still be a damaged vehicle. Funny thing is how they give you that snow job if you're buying the car, but let you try and trade it in. All of a sudden it's a different story. Now, ask yourself you buy a car that was in an accident?
Old 12-27-08, 10:26 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by EgermPA
I just spoke with the GM of the dealership. He said that he had been out of town, and he didn't know anything about what had happened to my car. He said that he would investigate the situation and let me know the results. Basically, nobody at the Lexus dealership seems to know how my car got dented.

I expressed concern about the process of "pounding out" the dents and repainting a section of a new car to match. The GM said that, for a new car, it is better to repair the quarter-panel and the door than it is to replace these items. Can anybody tell me if that is correct?

Incidentally, the guy who owns the Lexus dealership also owns several other brands. So, the Lexus dealership has moved my car to a Ford dealership, which is where it will be repaired.

Any advice?
Bodyshops today are amazing, once they are reputable. I highly doubt Lexus uses anything but the best bodyshop. What color is your car?

Your car is titled, I highly doubt you will get a new car, especially in this economy where sales are hurting. You only lose the value of your vehicle (been in an accident) when u sell the vehicle.

I would ask for A LOT of perks like free maintenance etc. Lexus and luxury dealers are not immune from some people being reckless with vehicles. It could also very well have been a true accident, which does happen.

I would ask for
-what happened the whole story
-estimated damage
-compensation

If they don't agree to your demands, you know who to call.
Old 12-28-08, 07:45 AM
Craig B
Pole Position

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts

I took my brand new 2009 LS460 AWD into the service department for the first 1,000 mile servicing. After waiting about an hour, a very busy service manager informed me that my car had been "slightly dented" and I would receive a loaner car while it was repaired. Upon inspection, the car showed extensive damage. There is a large dent behind the rear passenger door. There are multiple scratches on the right side of the door extending to the rear of the car. The trunk would not open. It looked like the car had been in an accident at a fairly good speed. One of the service guys said that their body shop would pound out the dent and repaint all of the scratches, matching the paint with the rest of the car. He estimated that it would take a week.

I am not happy with this situation, because I suspect that the market value of my car has declined, due to this accident. A new car should not be repainted, in my opinion. I tried to call Lexus corporate for help, but they are closed until December 29.

What would you do under these circumstances?
Talk to the general manager and tell him you want a new car. If that doesn't work, hire an attorney. You will have diminished value becuase of the damage. I would also get Lexus involved, but I don't think they will be much use. Let us know what happens...

Sorry to hear that,

Craig
Old 12-28-08, 07:47 AM
Craig B
Pole Position

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts

Any advice?
They would have to cut the quarter panel off and weld on a new one. I wouldn't want the car back in my opinion. You just purchased a new car, not a wrecked one...

Craig

Quick Reply: Service dented my new 2009 LS460 AWD