LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Service dented my new 2009 LS460 AWD

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-09, 08:20 AM
LeslieRC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't mean to sound detached, but if the dealer is repairing your car as a result of their mistake, that's all you can expect from them. Think about it, you bought one of their most expensive Lexus cars and then they damaged it while it was in their care. They want to keep your business and their reputation intact. Why wouldn't they then do their best to correct this situation? If the damage can be repaired, and it sounds like it can, that's what they are supposed to do; it's unrealistic to think that they should give you a new car because of this. If I were in your situation, I would meet in person with the GM and tell him that I regret that this happened but that I am confident that he will see to it that everything is put back in order. By doing such, all the necessary points would be made.
Old 01-01-09, 11:00 AM
EgermPA
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First, I want to thank everybody for their comments. This message board has been extremely helpful, and I've certainly learned a great deal from this experience.

In particular, I've learned that it's a mistake to take a new car into a Lexus dealership for routine servicing. The dealership's parking lot is packed full of cars. It's a dangerous place for a new vehicle. Furthermore, the dealership's main focus is selling cars, not providing service to customers.

Incidentally, I still don't have my car back! It's been eight days.
Old 01-01-09, 11:32 AM
jmcraney

Received 276 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by EgermPA
Here is an update:

1. I called the Lexus corporate 800 number and spoke to a nice woman who said somebody would get back to me in two days.
Have any of those Cyborgs at Lexus called back?
Old 01-01-09, 04:08 PM
mista808
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't drive an LS460 but I am an autobody tech. My advice to you when you go to pick up your car, bring your friends with you, if you know someone that does autobody and piant-bring him with you. Also, bring a female with you, females have a better sense of color, can see colors more clearly than males... anyways, if the dealer gives you your car back in the shade or parking structure or whatever, under something covered they are hidding a paint flaw to you. The color isn't matching. In the shade everything will look the same color, but once out in the sun, where light hits it from every angle, you will be able to see if the color matches. Ask THEM to drive it out in the sunlight.... once in the light have all your buddys and a female check out the job. See if you can tell where they painted, if the panels look stright, and if your female friend can tell any differnce in color, WHATEVER.... anything wrong, don't take your car, have them redo it. Also, you said from the rear passenger door back to the trunk was involved right? Well, they should have painted or rather the passenger front door, trunk, and rear bumper should be blended. We blend the paint so its less noticable that something was painted. Anyways, let us know how things go....
Old 01-01-09, 04:57 PM
EgermPA
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jmcraney
Have any of those Cyborgs at Lexus called back?
No, they didn't call back.
Old 01-01-09, 06:28 PM
jmcraney

I think they are still tied up working on my wind noise problem. Eight months ago they said they would call back in two days - I am still waiting.
Old 01-01-09, 06:35 PM
Johnny
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

JM, your cynicism is showing... They're almost finished, I'm sure... Aren't they?
Old 01-01-09, 06:49 PM
jmcraney

You have probably seen this recent post on the wind noise discussion thread:

"couple weeks ago, there was a group of Techs from Lexus Corp. came and check out my car, after 2 days of working on my car, they said the windnoise came from the windshield molding. and now, they said they are working on it. they will notice all the owners when they're finish the molding.
I think it takes 4ever."

Soo, I think there are still two ahead of the return call for the "dent."

EgermPA, please pardon my humor, I think it is terrible that your car was damaged.
Old 01-01-09, 07:15 PM
HeisLegend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You don't wait for them.

YOU call THEM. Keep them on their feet.

Sorry about your car, the LS460's are gorgeous.
Old 01-02-09, 02:32 AM
CEOEngr
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think they are still tied up working on my wind noise problem. Eight months ago they said they would call back in two days - I am still waiting.
Sorry to disappoint you, Jim, most of the rookies assigned to investigate/pursue your case have been laid off.... the call will never come.
Old 01-02-09, 10:16 AM
terrain
Pole Position

LMAO

Old 01-02-09, 10:57 AM
EgermPA
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mista808
.... My advice to you when you go to pick up your car .... bring a female with you, females have a better sense of color, can see colors more clearly than males.... Anyways, let us know how things go....
Great advice about bringing a female. I got help from my wife, who was able to observe details that I missed and checked more carefully than I would have. At any rate, after nine days, I have my car back. It looks pretty good, although the interior smells like paint and adhesive.

The dealership doesn't believe that I am owed anything, because they claim that they returned the car to "perfect status". They did agree to give me a free key-fob, but they said that they are back-ordered now. So, they couldn't get it to me.

I intend to try Lexus corporate again on Monday. I suspect that the managers aren't working this week, which is why I am waiting until Monday.
Old 01-02-09, 12:01 PM
myLexRX
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

[QUOTE
The dealership doesn't believe that I am owed anything, because they claim that they returned the car to "perfect status". QUOTE]

They do owe you a lot. Now try taking your car to another Lexus dealership for a trade-in and you will hear more than once that they do not sell cars with paint jobs off their lots and they would have to wholesale it. Hence lowball on the price...
Old 01-02-09, 05:14 PM
GSXOTIC
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

followed the thread since its inception. To me, it is about how they approach the incident from the beginning. In this case, I t think they failed to properly disclosed the extensive of the damage and called it a dent. Unless they assumed you/(or a normal person who happen to own the Lexus Flagship sedan as an idiot) won't check the damage, how can this be a dent as they described it.

Same incident happened to my 97' SC at Cerritos Lexus back in 99. They called me and told me the car hit another brand new GS while they serviced the car. At that time, they did not played down the damage. Of course, it was no $80K car and mileage was not 1k.

Anyways, maybe ask for a new car is excessive, but what else can you compensate this. Not to mention all other BS they told you trying to make you think this is a daily routine and lots of Lexus have sustained similar situation.

I just hope Lexus dealerships don't embarrass themselves and trying to act like a Honda dealership.
Old 01-02-09, 08:10 PM
Motil10108
Driver

Originally Posted by GSXOTIC
followed the thread since its inception. To me, it is about how they approach the incident from the beginning. In this case, I t think they failed to properly disclosed the extensive of the damage and called it a dent. Unless they assumed you/(or a normal person who happen to own the Lexus Flagship sedan as an idiot) won't check the damage, how can this be a dent as they described it.

Same incident happened to my 97' SC at Cerritos Lexus back in 99. They called me and told me the car hit another brand new GS while they serviced the car. At that time, they did not played down the damage. Of course, it was no $80K car and mileage was not 1k.

Anyways, maybe ask for a new car is excessive, but what else can you compensate this. Not to mention all other BS they told you trying to make you think this is a daily routine and lots of Lexus have sustained similar situation.

I just hope Lexus dealerships don't embarrass themselves and trying to act like a Honda dealership.
+1,

Reading through this thread simply shocks me, I would have never expected
this from a Lexus dealership. I agree with GSXOTIC, you should definitely get compensation for this incident.

There is only one thing i hate more then problems happening to my Lexus, and that is being lied to about my car!

Good luck with everything and i hope it turns out okay

Quick Reply: Service dented my new 2009 LS460 AWD