LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Service dented my new 2009 LS460 AWD

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-09, 08:23 PM
dana_daen
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dont give up on your fight, even if you don't get what you're after the service department will baby your car when ever you bring it in because now, they know you're not afraid to take your complaints all the way to the top. That's what happened to me and now my service is smooth and after each service they send me a survey on how there service was. Good Luck, nice ride by the way
Old 01-03-09, 08:17 AM
Lexucan
Lexucanafer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by EgermPA
The dealership doesn't believe that I am owed anything, because they claim that they returned the car to "perfect status". They did agree to give me a free key-fob, but they said that they are back-ordered now. So, they couldn't get it to me.
Talk about adding insult to injury. They damage your brand new car, and for compensation they say they will (probably reluctantly) throw you a free key-fob. And then, they say, "Oops, looks like we're out. Oh well, too bad. Have a nice day".

Unbelievable.
Old 01-03-09, 04:35 PM
caha14
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts

Great advice about bringing a female. I got help from my wife, who was able to observe details that I missed and checked more carefully than I would have. At any rate, after nine days, I have my car back. It looks pretty good, although the interior smells like paint and adhesive.

The dealership doesn't believe that I am owed anything, because they claim that they returned the car to "perfect status". They did agree to give me a free key-fob, but they said that they are back-ordered now. So, they couldn't get it to me.

I intend to try Lexus corporate again on Monday. I suspect that the managers aren't working this week, which is why I am waiting until Monday.
Glad the work turned out ok. Like others here, I am shocked (though not surprised) that they said they don't owe you anything. A few little things they could do could go a long way in terms of building some customer goodwill had this happened with ANY vehicle. This is just good business practice. Now, this is a brand new LS we are talking about, and that makes their behavior that much more egregious IMHO. That vehicle in particular deserves a little more care and respect from the careless idiot(s) who was/were responsible for this mess.

Lexus should hear about this (as you are planning on sharing with them), and frankly, so should the owner if you are so inclined. There is a link to contact him on the dealership's website.

FWIW, this is the same dealership that back in Dec. 2006, when we were shopping for my wife's GS350, left me a voicemail saying "we have great incentives on that vehicle" to get me to show up, even though I did everything via internet and requested email contact ONLY. The problem was that the GS was in short supply at the time: there were no cars exactly like the one we wanted, and there were no such incentives. This is the same dealer that says "we don't sell cars, we help people buy them". What a load of crap... Needless to say, we moved on and bought from another dealership that was more ethical and forthright.

Not sure if Lexus of Northborough is near you, but if it is, I would highly recommend them for your service going forward. I switched to their service department about a year ago (my svc adviser switched too) and have been very pleased with their work. They are a smaller dealership and thus less of a "mass production" operation, and this has a favorable impact on their quality.
Old 01-03-09, 06:34 PM
Craig B
Pole Position

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by caha14
Glad the work turned out ok. Like others here, I am shocked (though not surprised) that they said they don't owe you anything. A few little things they could do could go a long way in terms of building some customer goodwill had this happened with ANY vehicle. This is just good business practice. Now, this is a brand new LS we are talking about, and that makes their behavior that much more egregious IMHO. That vehicle in particular deserves a little more care and respect from the careless idiot(s) who was/were responsible for this mess.

Lexus should hear about this (as you are planning on sharing with them), and frankly, so should the owner if you are so inclined. There is a link to contact him on the dealership's website.

FWIW, this is the same dealership that back in Dec. 2006, when we were shopping for my wife's GS350, left me a voicemail saying "we have great incentives on that vehicle" to get me to show up, even though I did everything via internet and requested email contact ONLY. The problem was that the GS was in short supply at the time: there were no cars exactly like the one we wanted, and there were no such incentives. This is the same dealer that says "we don't sell cars, we help people buy them". What a load of crap... Needless to say, we moved on and bought from another dealership that was more ethical and forthright.

Not sure if Lexus of Northborough is near you, but if it is, I would highly recommend them for your service going forward. I switched to their service department about a year ago (my svc adviser switched too) and have been very pleased with their work. They are a smaller dealership and thus less of a "mass production" operation, and this has a favorable impact on their quality.
Don't wait for Lexus to step in and do anything. They don't own the dealerships and I don't see them getting involved. You should hire an independent appraiser to look at your car and tell you if it was repaired correctly and to tell you what the diminished value is. Your car isn't worth what it was before they crashed it and you shouldn't let them off easy. If you have to, hire an attorney...

Good luck,

Craig
Old 01-03-09, 07:49 PM
EgermPA
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by caha14

Lexus should hear about this (as you are planning on sharing with them).....
I already tried to contact Lexus corporate. I called the 800 number and spoke to a nice lady who said someone would call me back in two days, which did not occur. I also sent two email messages.

I read that Toyota is losing over a billion dollars. It probably isn't a surprise if they are cutting back on service.

Originally, I thought that this was a good time to buy a new car. Obviously, I was wrong!
Old 01-03-09, 09:46 PM
terrain
Pole Position

Good time to buy a car =Yes - Never a good time to crash a new car. I bet the folks who purchased these cars at or near MSRP back in 06/07 would have loved to see 14 to 16K off. Not sure there has ever been a better time to pick up a 08 if you can find one that meets your specs.

Looks like you have your car back and can continue to enjoy it.
Old 01-05-09, 02:35 PM
rjm
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I already tried to contact Lexus corporate. I called the 800 number and spoke to a nice lady who said someone would call me back in two days, which did not occur. I also sent two email messages.
I had the same experience with a warranty claim with Sewell Lexus of Fort Worth. Lexus Corporate never called back after repeatedly promising to do so. They never answered emails or letters, other than the standard "we will get back to you within 24 hours." I never heard ANYTHING from them.......Lexus Corporate doesn't give a damn about your problem. I finally pursued arbitration through the National Arbitration organization that is referenced in a Warranty Manual that came with your car. The owner of all the Lexus dealerships in the DFW area finally called me and made a settlement to my satisfaction before we went to arbitration. That was my last dealing with Lexus on any level. If they don't settle to your satisfaction, I heartily recommend legal action against the dealership and Lexus Corporate.
Old 01-05-09, 03:03 PM
Ryeno
Banned

Wow man you totally got gypped. You completely let them push you around. I cant believe you actually expected lexus corporate to do something.

You should have just stood tall right when they told you the car was damaged. But instead you just let them off the hook and accepeted whatever they told you.

It's just sad to me that you didnt even learn a lesson from this.
Old 01-05-09, 08:40 PM
terrain
Pole Position

Folks handle things in different ways - Lots of suggestions about how he could have done things but at the end of the day he has his car back - wife seems to approve of job that was done on the car and he is now driving said new car.
Old 01-08-09, 05:50 PM
EgermPA
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by rjm
I had the same experience with a warranty claim .... Lexus Corporate never called back after repeatedly promising to do so. ......Lexus Corporate doesn't give a damn about your problem. .....
I actually got a voice message from somebody at Lexus Corporate yesterday. The person who left the message said that Lexus has been on vacation for the last two weeks, and they are back now. The person said that she is going to contact the dealership to find out what happened, and then I would receive a phone call. Altogether, that message did not give me any sense of confidence.
Old 01-08-09, 06:03 PM
EgermPA
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Ryeno
Wow man you totally got gypped. You completely let them push you around. I cant believe you actually expected lexus corporate to do something.

You should have just stood tall right when they told you the car was damaged. But instead you just let them off the hook and accepeted whatever they told you.

It's just sad to me that you didnt even learn a lesson from this.
Yes, it was certainly a mistake to call Lexus corporate. And, yes, I did learn something from this experience. Here is what I learned:

1. The people at Lexus are friendly when they want your money, but at the first sign of a problem, they can't be bothered to help you.

2. The dealerships cheat. They repair dents without reporting anything to CarFax or to the manufacturer. If you buy a new Lexus, you might be buying a car that has already had bodywork.

3. Watch out for owners of multiple dealerships. I was pretty surprised to learn that my new 2009 LS460 AWD was being serviced at a Ford dealership owned by the same guy.

Most of all, I am sorry that I purchased a Lexus. It will be the last time I make that mistake!
Old 01-08-09, 06:45 PM
terrain
Pole Position

LMAO - Egerm - you are an entertaining read that's for sure.
Old 01-09-09, 06:11 AM
dimapb
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, it was certainly a mistake to call Lexus corporate. And, yes, I did learn something from this experience. Here is what I learned:

1. The people at Lexus are friendly when they want your money, but at the first sign of a problem, they can't be bothered to help you.

2. The dealerships cheat. They repair dents without reporting anything to CarFax or to the manufacturer. If you buy a new Lexus, you might be buying a car that has already had bodywork.

3. Watch out for owners of multiple dealerships. I was pretty surprised to learn that my new 2009 LS460 AWD was being serviced at a Ford dealership owned by the same guy.

Most of all, I am sorry that I purchased a Lexus. It will be the last time I make that mistake!
EgermPA,
You have a right to feel that way and I would be the same way if I was in your situation, but do you think you would have been treated differently if this was MB, BMW, or Audi dealership? I don't think so. Once they have your money, you are SOL. Most of my friends have MB's and BMW's and they were all laughing at me when I got my LS. I was the first one out of the group to buy a Lexus. Guess what.... they are no longer laughing. You should hear some of the horror stories from them in ref to the service at those other dealerships. I know calling Lexus corp is not a very pleasant experience, but I can tell you first hand, when I had wind noise issues with my 07 460L, I was firm and polite and w/in 4 months, I had a brand new 08 LS 460L in my possession. No lawyers or arbitrators involved.
Old 01-09-09, 06:29 AM
rjm
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by dimapb
.... do you think you would have been treated differently if this was MB, BMW, or Audi dealership? I don't think so. Once they have your money, you are SOL. Most of my friends have MB's and BMW's and they were all laughing at me when I got my LS. I was the first one out of the group to buy a Lexus. Guess what.... they are no longer laughing. You should hear some of the horror stories from them in ref to the service at those other dealerships.
I can speak to this from firsthand experiences. First of all, all dealerships are different. There are Lexus dealerships in the DFW area with excellent reputations, and others with less than good reputations. I have had firsthand experience with all of them. And I have had firsthand experiences with Mercedes and BMW dealerships in this area. The best service I have ever received was from my Mercedes dealership, but I no longer own a Mercedes because of quality problems with the cars. I am now on my 4th BMW and my BMW dealership's service in on par with that from Mercedes....absolutely superior They do everything they can to make the customer happy so he will return and buy another car. On the other hand, my experience with ONE of my Lexus dealerships, and with Lexus Corporate has been abysmal. All dealerships are different and there is no way you can generalize by saying all of a certain brand are bad.
Old 01-09-09, 06:58 AM
bhuwan
Pole Position

What dealership was this?

Quick Reply: Service dented my new 2009 LS460 AWD