LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Service dented my new 2009 LS460 AWD

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-08, 09:13 AM
EgermPA
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Service dented my new 2009 LS460 AWD

I took my brand new 2009 LS460 AWD into the service department for the first 1,000 mile servicing. After waiting about an hour, a very busy service manager informed me that my car had been "slightly dented" and I would receive a loaner car while it was repaired. Upon inspection, the car showed extensive damage. There is a large dent behind the rear passenger door. There are multiple scratches on the right side of the door extending to the rear of the car. The trunk would not open. It looked like the car had been in an accident at a fairly good speed. One of the service guys said that their body shop would pound out the dent and repaint all of the scratches, matching the paint with the rest of the car. He estimated that it would take a week.

I am not happy with this situation, because I suspect that the market value of my car has declined, due to this accident. A new car should not be repainted, in my opinion. I tried to call Lexus corporate for help, but they are closed until December 29.

What would you do under these circumstances?
Old 12-26-08, 10:01 AM
joedaddy1
Racer

Received 191 Likes on 148 Posts

new car or diminished value claim..
doesn't sound like a simple scratch from my screen/keyboard..

is this the dealer that you bought your car from? I hope they go out of their way to help you.. they USUALLY do..
they'll probably offer lifetime service til 100k miles.. if so.. i would take that only if they INCLUDE TIRES..
Old 12-26-08, 10:34 AM
Johnny
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

I would demand nothing less than a new car. Suck up your courage and get ready for a fight. They have to feel the pain for this incompetent stupidity. What the hell were they doing, bombing around their parking lot in a brand new LS? The 1000 mile service is a very light one, one that does not require a road test, so it must have happened on their lot. Probably the owner's kid...

I hope you took pictures. If not, get down there, in case you need to litigate this...

Last edited by Johnny; 12-26-08 at 10:45 AM.
Old 12-26-08, 10:44 AM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Under 1K miles, and with damage you described, I would demand no less than a new vehicle and they take ownership of the damaged vehicle. If they can "fix it to new" then they can sell it also as a "manager special" or "demo" vehicle to the next customer. I don't see why you should have to eat any loss due to the dealer's negligence. I know it's unwritten (sometimes written) that it's "bring in at your own risk" when you bring a car to the shop, but this is rediculous. With 50K miles, then I can't say do a replace for new, but 1K is virtually new and they should eat it.
Old 12-26-08, 11:10 AM
caha14
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts

Very sorry to read this... This was foolish and irresponsible on the part of the dealer, so ditto on the request for a new car. It is the only satisfactory solution with such a new vehicle.
Old 12-26-08, 11:13 AM
terrain
Pole Position

What is done at 1K? I thought 5k was the first inspection/oil change.
Old 12-26-08, 11:25 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 219 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by terrain
What is done at 1K? I thought 5k was the first inspection/oil change.
Just a "general vehicle inspection" at 1K, doesn't not even involve an oil change.

Yes, I would demand another brand new LS too.
Old 12-26-08, 11:27 AM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

1K is a freebie, that answers your questions, checks tire pressure, makes sure everything is running smoothly.

as for the new car, i highly doubt your going to get that or should even ask for one. its a bit ridiculous, but i think we are going to have to see some pictures to see the extent of the damage to rule this one out.

this happened to me once, but my car was a few years old already and it was a small scratch. they fixed it up, gave me a loaner, and gave me the free service visit (valued at around $600 because i was getting my brake pads changed as well)
Old 12-26-08, 11:59 AM
BenLS460
Pole Position

I would say the same thing as others.... NEW CAR
Old 12-26-08, 12:00 PM
topgun04
Driver

Seriously doubt that you can get a new car.. It is like you have a minor car accident. What would the insurance company do? I think that should be the extend of the claim... Ultimately you can go to court to get your claim but it has to be fair to both party and I serous doubt that a court will rule for a new car instead of repair + diminish value claim (hard to prove).. Having said that I have my 1000 miles insepction this afternoon and I am worry...
Old 12-26-08, 12:37 PM
EgermPA
Driver School Candidate

It has been difficult to get information about what happened. The sales manager confirmed today that my car hit another car, which is different than what the service manager told me.

I also did a Internet search on this dealership. Amazingly, I learned that somebody else had this exact same problem at their 1,000 mile servicing a couple of months ago. I wish that I had done this search before I made the mistake of buying that 2009 LS460!

Here's what I've learned from this experience: You need to be very careful if you are going to buy an expensive car like a Lexus. Just because a dealership looks very good, and just because it's a Lexus doesn't mean that the dealer is trustworthy.
Old 12-26-08, 12:44 PM
caha14
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by EgermPA
It has been difficult to get information about what happened. The sales manager confirmed today that my car hit another car, which is different than what the service manager told me.

I also did a Internet search on this dealership. Amazingly, I learned that somebody else had this exact same problem at their 1,000 mile servicing a couple of months ago. I wish that I had done this search before I made the mistake of buying that 2009 LS460!

Here's what I've learned from this experience: You need to be very careful if you are going to buy an expensive car like a Lexus. Just because a dealership looks very good, and just because it's a Lexus doesn't mean that the dealer is trustworthy.
I can already imagine which dealership you are talking about...

In addition to involving Lexus, you really should consider speaking to the GM of the dealership, particularly given that you are already getting inconsistent stories, which is never a good way for a business to go about resolving this kind of issue.
Old 12-26-08, 12:52 PM
Ryeno
Banned

I would demand a new car as well.

Plus you never know if they are going to cheep out at the body shop and the new paint will fade over time.

Just make sure you dont accept the car. Once its back in your possesion, They'll be like no way for you to get a new car.

What I would do is go to the dealership and tell the receptionist that you need to talk to the manager.

Tell him upfront that you dont trust the structural integreity of the vehicle now thats its been involved in a car crash. You have doubts about the car repair. (paint fading over time, make up any other reasons you can think of.) Then demand a new car. Odds are they will its going to be as good as new, nothing to worry, blah blah, Deny it all and tell them your not requesting a new car but demanding one. Now if they still say no, say something like if you can get a new car, your going to need to return with your lawyer. Since your rich enough to own an LS, Odds are they'll take the threat of you sueing very seriously.

Hopefully you dont actually have to get your lawyer and come back. But i garentee you, if you do comeback with a lawyer, they will settle on the spot. I dont think a dealership would be stupid enough to actually go to court.

Last edited by Ryeno; 12-26-08 at 01:02 PM.
Old 12-26-08, 01:20 PM
User1321989
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Speak to Toyota Corporate, I have a friend who works there and takes care of just these kind of accidents from dealerships....too many "accidents" and a dealership is put on probation from Toyota, one too many and no more dealership....

Generally you will NOT get a new car....but should demand/negotiate heavily....

SOMETHING ALONG THE LINES OF LIFETIME SERVICE!!!!

GOOD LUCK
Old 12-26-08, 03:00 PM
Johnny
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

The problem with asking for lifetime service is it's only worth anything if Lexus Corporate approves it, and why should they, they didn't screw this up. With dealerships of all makes, including Toyota/Lexus facing an uncertain future, they may be lucky to survive this market collapse, so a dealership lifetime warranty is really not worth the paper it's written on. Sue the idiots... It'll never get to court, believe me - their incompetence is your winning card. Oh yeah, get those pictures, names, times and make notes of your conversations... Now!

Quick Reply: Service dented my new 2009 LS460 AWD