LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

LS460AWD vs. MBS5504Matic

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-08, 06:11 AM
carfanmd
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default LS460AWD vs. MBS5504Matic

Happy holidays all. Just about to pull the trigger on either MBS550 or lexus LS460AWD. I have had the LS460 which I traded out of because I wanted a coupe but am now going back to sedan because I need more space. The MB is very nice driving wise and interior is great but I'm concerned about whether or not the car is reliable. It is very nice indeed. However, it is also a lot more expensive. The LS460 has been very reliable and I have not owned any MB since 2003. Does anyone have a view here based on experience? If I go with the Lexus I will probably get the one without Levinson since Levinson seems hard to find and adds almost $2.5K to the price. While it sounds great I'm not certain its worth the wait and the cost (especially since I listen to a lot of talk radio). The AWD LS drives very well, IMO nicer for my taste than the RWD. The suspension is adjustable and the steering is a bit more "european" in feel. Again, just my opinion. Thoughts are welcome. Thanks and again, happy new year.
Old 12-27-08, 06:43 AM
EgermPA
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same decision, and I made the mistake of getting an LS460. I had a terrible experience at the 1,000 mile servicing. The Lexus people will act real friendly when they want your money, but they change colors after the sale is made. BUY THE S550! I wish I had. My one-month old LS460 is currently in the shop.
Old 12-27-08, 09:37 AM
joeyb
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've got 2,000 miles on my LS460 SWB AWD, and I couldn't be happier. The air shocks are a big plus.

I did get the ML system. Although I like it, it's more oriented to the rear seat passengers. I would probably get it again, but it's not a must-have.

My only complaint is that the seats are not firm enough for me, but that's a very personal issue.
Old 12-27-08, 10:10 AM
allklr
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If I could go back I would probably have gotten the S550, Price is not that bad especially with the discounts they give. Did you check out the A8?
Old 12-27-08, 02:06 PM
astrotoy
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have you looked at the Mercedes Forums to see what S550 owners think about the reliability of their cars? I got firghtened away from an S550 which was about the same cost as my LS460L Exec Class, with the reliability issues of MB in general. I think the 550 is coming out better than the average MB has been. There seem to be quite a few of the 2007 S550's for sale in the local SF Bay area papers. Don't know what that is saying. I did like the style of the S550 better than the LS460L. It doesn't have the reclining rear seat and ottoman that the Exec has, however. If you upscale to a Maybach, you can get that.
Old 12-27-08, 02:41 PM
Johnny
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by EgermPA
I had the same decision, and I made the mistake of getting an LS460. I had a terrible experience at the 1,000 mile servicing. The Lexus people will act real friendly when they want your money, but they change colors after the sale is made. BUY THE S550! I wish I had. My one-month old LS460 is currently in the shop.
Your posts are beginning to sound very suspicious indeed... You don't even state your reasons in this thread, which leads me to think you have an agenda that goes well beyond what you have revealed thus far.
Old 12-27-08, 03:42 PM
Nospinzone

Received 418 Likes on 322 Posts

Originally Posted by EgermPA

I empathize with your experience at the dealership, but the same collision damage could have been done at a Mercedes dealership. And believe me, you don't want to deal with a Mercedes dealership when you have a problem ...... talk about not wanting to know you ........
Old 12-27-08, 04:33 PM
carfanmd
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks for the thoughts. I drove both today. Very different. Both are great cars. MB has a great torque band that gives it really nice kick power all through the acceleration process. LS is quiet and 8 speed transmission is sooo smooth and AWD + Air suspension and new steering give it a sporty feel. I'm not sure I can decide but will do so before year end. Thanks again for the replies. Happy holidays to all.
Old 12-27-08, 09:30 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

to those who keep ripping on the MB for reliability, its time to stop. if the merc you are talking about was designed/redesigned in 2006 to now, then the car will be reliable. gone are the "daimler-chrysler" days, and now its just back to good ol' fashion engineering.

i say judge the cars on the present, and not what the future may or may not bring.

if you can afford the S, then get it. though i am a lexus fan, theres nothing like a Merc to give a sense of solidity and prestige. but for the dollar, the LS definately takes the spot.
Old 12-27-08, 10:28 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by RXSF
to those who keep ripping on the MB for reliability, its time to stop. if the merc you are talking about was designed/redesigned in 2006 to now, then the car will be reliable. gone are the "daimler-chrysler" days, and now its just back to good ol' fashion engineering.

i say judge the cars on the present, and not what the future may or may not bring.

if you can afford the S, then get it. though i am a lexus fan, theres nothing like a Merc to give a sense of solidity and prestige. but for the dollar, the LS definately takes the spot.
While it seems they have gotten better, one year is not a trend. Lexus has been tops in reliability for near two decades now. I need some long term reliability results from these "new" Benzes before I can recommend them again without saying "watch for quality".
Old 12-27-08, 11:36 PM
Johnny
Pole Position

MB went south when they started loading their production lines with cheap labor from the bottom of the EC barrel. German engineering is still in there, but it means squat if the cars are assembled with transient Turk labor. This problem was reported in-depth by The Economist magazine years ago. On the other front, this problem did not surface in Japan, for obvious reasons that need not be elaborated here. I still get a kick whenever I drift over to mbworld. MB pride nowadays is mostly devoted to defending or denying this fiasco.
Old 12-28-08, 02:38 AM
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

S550 looks and drive better than LS460L IMO. How long do you keep you cars anyway... LS460L is my 2nd choice in THIS class...
Old 12-28-08, 08:14 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 218 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by astrotoy
Have you looked at the Mercedes Forums to see what S550 owners think about the reliability of their cars? I got firghtened away from an S550 which was about the same cost as my LS460L Exec Class, with the reliability issues of MB in general. I think the 550 is coming out better than the average MB has been. There seem to be quite a few of the 2007 S550's for sale in the local SF Bay area papers. Don't know what that is saying. I did like the style of the S550 better than the LS460L. It doesn't have the reclining rear seat and ottoman that the Exec has, however. If you upscale to a Maybach, you can get that.
See how subjective styling is? I have spent months deciding between the LS460L Exec. and the S550, & one of the main factors that pushed me towards the LS460L is the styling of the S550, I find the rear end very ugly & the side view inferior to the LS, the front is the only part I like, & that means the LS460L is easily the better looking car overall, & yes, I've compared them parked side by side.
Yes, the S550 drives a little better(though I think the LS rides a little better with the air suspension), but ultimately, it's the exterior and interior of the cars, plus the fact that I plan to keep the car for a very long time that made me decide on the LS.

Last edited by Gojirra99; 12-28-08 at 08:17 AM.
Old 12-28-08, 01:21 PM
Johnny
Pole Position

Originally Posted by KILLERGS4
How long do you keep you cars anyway..
All things being equal, this posture is one that I encounter a lot, particularly with MB owners when queried about the cost of maintenance and longevity. Unlike in the distant past, we've come to accept cars as disposable throw-away fixtures, and few owners look at ownership beyond the warranty period. It's a sad statement of attitudes permeating our society today. Leasing cultivates this attitude even further as cars are disposed of after a mere 36/48/60/72 month window.

So what are we left with? With Lexus anyway, I feel confident that my ownership of this car will extend to 15 years. Brave projection indeed, but the build quality in the LS looks a lot more promising than cars I have kept in the past beyond ten years. Having said that, I traded in my 460 sixteen months after I acquired it, albeit for ulterior reasons - namely the snows I am now playing in.

Last edited by Johnny; 12-28-08 at 03:48 PM.
Old 12-28-08, 02:55 PM
astrotoy
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I actually did keep my first LS400 for 16 years. I tend to keep my cars a long time, but this was beyond my expectations. It did start to give me some real problems around 325,000 miles , so I finally got rid of it at 350,000. I don't drive as much these days, so my new 460 will hopefully last as long, with many fewer miles.

Quick Reply: LS460AWD vs. MBS5504Matic