LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

My biggest disapointment with with this car so far....

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-08, 12:31 AM
LS2k
Intermediate

Received 44 Likes on 34 Posts
Default My biggest disapointment with with this car so far....

I really like this car but the knocking noise at idle ('07) really drives me nuts! The dealer did an ECU upgrade but to no avail, that car is louder than a Jetta diesel at idle. (I've also tried different gas station/grade but in vain)

Is there anything at all that can be done? I can't believe that a luxury car like this will have such an issue, the more i drive it the less i can stand it.... Reminds me when i was looking for a quieter HTPC and used Sound Proofing for the Computer Case I'm wondering about stuffing a bunch of that between the hood and the plastic cover but i'm worried about the heat factor....

The other thing is not rear door sunshade on the non exec package, that is insane on a car of that price range and no, using after market ones won't do it so is there any good alternatives out there?
Old 12-29-08, 08:16 AM
Johnny
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

My previous 460 did not have the knocking condition you describe, and neither does my current 600.

Talk to Lexus Corp. They need to get involved in this as it is apparent your dealer is at wit's end.

It wouldn't hurt to approach another dealer for a second opinion as well.
Old 12-29-08, 10:33 AM
terrain
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LS - I have not heard about the knocking issue on the LS - how long/how many miles have you had this?

I have sun shades all around - not sure what info you are looking for?

Originally Posted by LS2k
I really like this car but the knocking noise at idle ('07) really drives me nuts! The dealer did an ECU upgrade but to no avail, that car is louder than a Jetta diesel at idle. (I've also tried different gas station/grade but in vain)

Is there anything at all that can be done? I can't believe that a luxury car like this will have such an issue, the more i drive it the less i can stand it.... Reminds me when i was looking for a quieter HTPC and used Sound Proofing for the Computer Case I'm wondering about stuffing a bunch of that between the hood and the plastic cover but i'm worried about the heat factor....

The other thing is not rear door sunshade on the non exec package, that is insane on a car of that price range and no, using after market ones won't do it so is there any good alternatives out there?
Old 12-29-08, 02:42 PM
Craig B
Pole Position

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts

There is a TSB about this... Search and you will find it, or go to Lambros site...

Craig
Old 12-29-08, 02:54 PM
junjdm
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

dang that sounds bad.....
Old 12-29-08, 10:44 PM
LS2k
Intermediate

I bought the car from a friend with 17k miles on it . It now has 18k and Craig is correct, there is a specific TSB about that and i've brought it with me when i went to the dealer and that's when they claimed they did the ECU "upgrade" but that didn't do anything at all to reduce the knocking noise. Thanks to this forum i've also found out and confirmed that the pulley (another TSB) has been replaced as well. It definitely sounds like valves that are out of sync or something and can only be heard when the engine is idle. I've read about other people on this forum complaining about that exact problem with their '07 and the tech guy at the dealership made it sounds like there is nothing they can do about it, really disappointing i must admit.

Do you think calling corporate could help resolve the knocking noise?

Regarding the rear shade, only the LS equipped with the Rear Exec Pkg have them from what i've understood and adding them is not even an option on my car. With kids in the back seat, that's not really convenient when you drive for a while on highways...
Old 12-30-08, 01:15 AM
Johnny
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Those shades would be a little too delicate with kids in tow...

I would get Lexus involved, pronto...
Old 12-30-08, 08:06 AM
terrain
Pole Position

LS2 -While the Exec package will get you the shades All you need is the rear seat upgrade package on an L - and it comes with the shades. I have not used the shades ONCE - since I have very dark tint all around the shades are not of much use.
Old 12-30-08, 09:51 AM
CEOEngr
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have those shades and the heavy tint. Even with the hot Texas summers, we have used the shades maybe once.
Old 12-30-08, 10:13 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

We found the shades are helpful when you want to sleep back there LOL
Old 12-30-08, 10:15 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

yeah, i used the shade a few times as well. one time we were at car show, the smell was horrible. we got back into the car, up the shades, and slept like pigs
Old 12-30-08, 10:50 AM
terrain
Pole Position

Ha - I think the guy in Dubi with his winshield tinted could do just that :-). The shades are a great option if you have kids... the suction cup models probably don't look very nice on the LS. I don't see any drawbacks to dark tinting the rear passenger windows...
Old 12-30-08, 07:28 PM
Mike_TX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

For what it's worth, all gasoline direct-injection engines have a "ticking" sound at idle that can be clearly heard inside the car. Cars before direct-injection didn't have the sound. It's caused by the high-pressure injectors, and it does sound a little like valve clatter.

The sound I'm taking about is perfectly normal, but maybe you have something else going on.

Old 01-01-09, 11:11 AM
joedaddy1
Racer

Received 194 Likes on 151 Posts

this sounds is kinda annoying for us too...
Old 01-05-09, 10:26 PM
LS2k
Intermediate

I've tried to record this knocking sound so that i could get your guys opinions but my phone couldn't didn't do a good job at it. I'll try again with a voice recorder next time.

Quick Reply: My biggest disapointment with with this car so far....