LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Let's Help Lexus: How Would You Improve the LS?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-09 | 04:59 AM
jmcraney

Originally Posted by Mike_TX
In addition:

- Unlock the friggin' Nav.
- Display trip computer info on the Nav screen.
- Display TPMS info on Nav screen, showing which tire has which pressure.
- Upgrade the Nav info to today's standards.
- Include XM Weather, with weather radar, like Acura.
- Turn signals in the mirrors, for safety.
- Hooks in trunk for nets on the SIDES to corral small objects.
- More wind noise. (Just kidding - that was for Craney.)
- PLEASE don't make radar cruise and lane departure standard. Please.

Thanks! I'm going to need something to do in these hard economic times.
Old 01-10-09 | 06:03 AM
Helmar
Lead Lap

Here's one suggestion that's easy to do and long overdue.

Replace the entire dashboard (speedometer, tachometer, fuel gauge, etc). with a digital simulation of them.

Note, I'm NOT suggesting digital displays introduced in the 1980's, but a digital simulation of the current analog gauges.

The look and feel could easily be made to be virtually indistinguishable from the current gauge display.

I would think this would cost much less than individual gauges.

Advantages would also include owner selection of:

1. Color schemes for each gauge.

2. What information to display (Some items, such as speedometer would be required, while others, such as tachometer, would be optional).

3. Control size, and perhaps even arrangement.

4. Selection of digital and/or analog display of selected gauges.

Examples:

1. Speedometer shows current analog gauge, or a digital speed number, or both.

2. Temperature and oil pressure gauges doesn't show unless outside of a set range.

Any other suggestions?

HBH
Old 01-10-09 | 06:49 PM
miniz
Lead Lap

I took stainless steel cleaner to the tip today. The car has 15k miles on it. I rubbed and rubbed. It looks better, but I'm going to get some 00 steel wool and try it again.

Old 01-10-09 | 09:15 PM
terrain
Pole Position

Looks good - I noticed a bit of browning no our LSL Today while washing -- just nearing 500 miles.
Old 01-10-09 | 10:27 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Helmar
Here's one suggestion that's easy to do and long overdue.

Replace the entire dashboard (speedometer, tachometer, fuel gauge, etc). with a digital simulation of them.

Note, I'm NOT suggesting digital displays introduced in the 1980's, but a digital simulation of the current analog gauges.

The look and feel could easily be made to be virtually indistinguishable from the current gauge display.

I would think this would cost much less than individual gauges.

Advantages would also include owner selection of:

1. Color schemes for each gauge.

2. What information to display (Some items, such as speedometer would be required, while others, such as tachometer, would be optional).

3. Control size, and perhaps even arrangement.

4. Selection of digital and/or analog display of selected gauges.

Examples:

1. Speedometer shows current analog gauge, or a digital speed number, or both.

2. Temperature and oil pressure gauges doesn't show unless outside of a set range.

Any other suggestions?

HBH
Sounds great...I am hopeful Lexus will add more owner customization, the new RX already lets the driver do the Lexus Personalized Settings themselves; the IS has that tachometer light ring that can be programmed, I would like to see that for the LS plus the additional functions as you suggest.
Old 01-14-09 | 04:50 PM
Vi-Tuyen
Driver

they need to make fix the glove box, the current glove box suck big time, it can not put anything in it.
Old 01-16-09 | 01:18 AM
2thfixr
Lexus Test Driver

Some nagging issues for me as well.

1. Power trunk needs to close with the inside switch.
2. Bi-xenon headlights - I can't believe this hasn't been mentioned. A car in this price range should have xenon high beams.
3. Go to a 7 speed or 6 speed tranny. Way too many gears IMO, what's the point? Fuel economy? Braggin rights? Whatever the case, the damn thing is shifting all the time. 3-4 shifts between stop lights with the car revving to 2-3k RPMs each time. Why?
4. Headrests that articulate forward.
5. HDD should be able to store MP3s.
6. Subwoofer needs to be replaced with a sealed enclosure - current sub is boomy at certain freqs. It has a narrow sweet spot with everything outside of that "tuned" freq range being way too sloppy.
7. Turn by turn guidance should display in the speedo/tach cluster.
8. Keyfob should be smaller, why so large?
Old 01-16-09 | 10:03 AM
miniz
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 2thfixr
Some nagging issues for me as well.

1. Power trunk needs to close with the inside switch.
2. Bi-xenon headlights - I can't believe this hasn't been mentioned. A car in this price range should have xenon high beams.
3. Go to a 7 speed or 6 speed tranny. Way too many gears IMO, what's the point? Fuel economy? Braggin rights? Whatever the case, the damn thing is shifting all the time. 3-4 shifts between stop lights with the car revving to 2-3k RPMs each time. Why?
4. Headrests that articulate forward.
5. HDD should be able to store MP3s.
6. Subwoofer needs to be replaced with a sealed enclosure - current sub is boomy at certain freqs. It has a narrow sweet spot with everything outside of that "tuned" freq range being way too sloppy.
7. Turn by turn guidance should display in the speedo/tach cluster.
8. Keyfob should be smaller, why so large?
I agree with Bi-xenon. That should be standard. The trunk should power close from inside with sensor stop installed. They should go to a CVT transmission so there are NO gear changes or infinite gears. Credit card key fob should be standard all LS models and they include an unlock/lock mini push button on the credit card fob.
Old 01-16-09 | 06:11 PM
terrain
Pole Position

Ha - I'd take illuminated door sills over Xenon Hi's any day -- How often do you use your hi's?
Old 01-16-09 | 11:57 PM
2thfixr
Lexus Test Driver

All the time, I travel 20-25k miles a year on rural highways.
Old 01-17-09 | 06:08 AM
CEOEngr
Intermediate

Add ability to manage music files on HDD using laptop via USB just like an iPod, iPhone, BB storm, etc.

It sure beats sitting for hours in the garage as currently one has to in order to accomplish these very basic tasks.
Old 01-17-09 | 10:18 AM
Johnny
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 2thfixr
All the time, I travel 20-25k miles a year on rural highways.
Country Dentist, eh?

Your list is comprehensive and I agree for the most part. I like the 8-spd tranny, but then again the ECVT version. I didn't mind the one on the 460, but the 600 is, or has been a definite improvement. Gotta agree strongly with you on the sub; I get headaches if I crank it up too much.
Old 01-17-09 | 08:41 PM
joeyb
Pole Position

I definately agree with the comments about the subwoofer/Bass on the ML system. Some of my CDs sound terrible in the LS even with the Bass turned down a couple notches. The sound in the SC430 is much cleaner.
Someone in one of the other threads talked about the Bass hurting his ears. I now understand what he was talking about.
Old 01-19-09 | 12:03 PM
terrain
Pole Position

(2nd) that!

Originally Posted by joeyb
I definately agree with the comments about the subwoofer/Bass on the ML system. Some of my CDs sound terrible in the LS even with the Bass turned down a couple notches. The sound in the SC430 is much cleaner.
Someone in one of the other threads talked about the Bass hurting his ears. I now understand what he was talking about.
Old 02-06-09 | 10:29 PM
mr29rose
Pole Position

not sure if mentioned and aside from the usual issues: (wind and road noise, smoother ride on bumps etc)

where the hell is the passenger seat MEMORY BUTTONS??????? even my back seats have memory!

freaking windows stay wet even after 2 days of being washed. i hatethat, i cant open my windows after a car wash for 2 days!

exec package: after reclining fully, and bringing the seat back, it should go to the previous position it was in! my wife has to adjust her seat everytime she gets in the car. wether i use the exec seat or if i have people drive in the front who adjust the seat.

exec package: lock and unlock buttons from the back. security purposes. if i get back there how do i lock the door while car is running. i dont think remote will work while car is on!

electric closing doors like the trunk, that would be p i m p

navi screen keyboard with number and letters on same screen w/o having to switch back and forth

navi screen always ontop if in the middle of a route guidance! so stupid when it goes away during a call and doesnt notify you of a turn coming up. not even a chime while on a call!

driver seat massage

steering wheel mode control should go forward and backward. why do i need to go thru all of them to get back to one i just skipped.

hold features should stay on or off on my control. not have to remember to turn it on every time i get in.

cooling cup holders in front

and more i probably didnt mention

Quick Reply: Let's Help Lexus: How Would You Improve the LS?