LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Let's Help Lexus: How Would You Improve the LS?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-10, 03:18 AM
ikey78
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wsteiner
1. usb port for a zip drive to hold mp3's and record from zip drive to hardrive
2. record mp3's to hardrive from CD. Ripping 30GB from audio CD's is semi useless.
3. Driver seat position switch should select which cell phone to use. If there are several drivers of the car, there is usually more than 1 cell phone pairing. Now to select a cell phone, the car must be stopped and you must go through 4 selections to select the phone. If you forget, and you are moving, you need to stop and select your cell phone.
4. Simpler voice command for calling like "call fred home or call fred mobile"
5. Eliminate voice tags. My cell phone doesn't need them why does my car?
6. Easier way to update NAV maps and POI's. Now I need to take it into a lexus dealer and it costs over $250 to do it. Updates only come out once a year. That's not enough for POI's.
The 2010 LS fixes the phone pairing issue.

It will automatically pair with either the last paired phone or any other phone that is registered, in that order. You can also manually select and pair any of the previously registered phones while driving. That part of the screen is no longer greyed out while the car is moving.
Old 03-24-10, 08:07 AM
wsteiner
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks ikey78 but I have a 2007 The map update software is at V 6.1 though and I'm hoping 9.1 will change the phone annoyance.
Old 03-24-10, 08:45 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by ikey78
The 2010 LS fixes the phone pairing issue.

It will automatically pair with either the last paired phone or any other phone that is registered, in that order. You can also manually select and pair any of the previously registered phones while driving. That part of the screen is no longer greyed out while the car is moving.
sweet, finally they fixed this problem...
Old 03-24-10, 12:32 PM
Slvr surfr
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Well it looks like in order to satisfy all club members, Lexus needs to put a home, a job, spa, half of a LFA, all previous LS's, an IT workshop, a movie theater, an actual live person behind the dash, a satellite, and remove all toyota labels from all the parts and manuals into the next gen LS. Then would they have accomplished the pursuit of perfection? LOL
Old 03-24-10, 01:26 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by Slvr surfr
Well it looks like in order to satisfy all club members, Lexus needs to put a home, a job, spa, half of a LFA, all previous LS's, an IT workshop, a movie theater, an actual live person behind the dash, a satellite, and remove all toyota labels from all the parts and manuals into the next gen LS. Then would they have accomplished the pursuit of perfection? LOL
nop, i am sure by then people will come up with even more requests
Old 04-04-10, 01:01 PM
ARLVACP
Driver School Candidate

What a great thread -- hope Toyota/Lexus is reading this.

It's been almost a month since I traded my 2008 460L for the 2010 460L and all I can say is that I miss the 2008 model. I know the disappointments are small, but for an 84k investment, I'm a little suprised. Here's my wish list for the 2011 model (that I probably will order once available) - and remember, I'm still going thru the owner's manual and available options, so maybe some of these are available and I just didn't get them on the 2010:

1. Engine choice: 2008 came with a 4.6 L V8 380HP 4 cam 32 valve engine. The 2010 came with a 4.6L 357HP 4 cam 32 valve V8 - why the change?

2. Bring back the ahstrays and cig lighters AS AN OPTION.

3. What's up with the reduced gas tank range? In the 2008 model, I sometimes got up to 525 miles on a full tank for highway driving (at least according to the display). On the 2010, I'm lucky to get 350 miles per full tank. (gotta look at the manual on this one -- not sure it says)

4. Automatic windshield wiper function: Have an indicator that says it's on when you look at the display. I know it's the second position on the steering wheel stick - but doesn't seem to work well in light rain -- and indicator does not clearly indicate where the dial should be on the steering wheel stick. Note that the Cadillac CTS has an indicator to let you know that the Rain Sensor Wipers are on.

5. Cruise Control Function: I see the green LED indicating it's on when I engage the cruise control function - but why not have the display indicator show you that it's on and tell you at what speed? Again, the Cadillac CTS has that functionality.

6. Sill lights

7. Cell Phone: Bring back the in-car cell phone AS AN OPTION

8. Cell Phone/Nav System: In the 2008 model, when you hung up a call by depressing the end call button on the steering wheel, the nav system returned you to the map. Not so on the 2010 - you end up back at the setup screen. (hunting thru the manual for the fix (if any) on this one)
Old 04-04-10, 03:04 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

1) that's because you got a awd now? rwd is still the same 380hp engine

3) likely to do with the awd system as well, if anything. it's the exact same engine and drivetrain on the normal ls460/ls460l (unless awd or sport). or you need more miles for the computer to average out better

4) problem of all lexus auto wipers. they just all work horribly... on my ls460l and gs350 i can never get it to work right. same with isf owners, tons of complaints. my m3 works perfectly

8) you sure no way? i agree, if that's really the case, that sux (though i kind of think there is a way to go back to map as default)
Old 04-04-10, 07:19 PM
ikey78
Driver

8. Press the end call button twice instead of once and it will take you to the map or whatever activity you were on (e.g Audio or Climate) before making the call.

3. Agree with the reduced mpg compared to the previous generation. However I do notice a slight (0.1mpg) increase in average mpg each week so I am sure the range will increase gradually.
Old 04-04-10, 09:12 PM
ARLVACP
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by rominl
1) that's because you got a awd now? rwd is still the same 380hp engine

3) likely to do with the awd system as well, if anything. it's the exact same engine and drivetrain on the normal ls460/ls460l (unless awd or sport). or you need more miles for the computer to average out better

4) problem of all lexus auto wipers. they just all work horribly... on my ls460l and gs350 i can never get it to work right. same with isf owners, tons of complaints. my m3 works perfectly

8) you sure no way? i agree, if that's really the case, that sux (though i kind of think there is a way to go back to map as default)
Thanks Romini - makes sense about the AWD -- still baffled by #8 - owner's manual no help.
Old 04-04-10, 11:09 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

8. Press the end call button twice instead of once and it will take you to the map or whatever activity you were on (e.g Audio or Climate) before making the call.
That should be the answer then?
Old 04-05-10, 07:49 PM
ARLVACP
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by encore888
That should be the answer then?
So far, no. Hitting the end call twice at the end of a call does not take me back to the map. The dealer advised that I should go to settings, general then auto screen and make sure the "on" option is set. I think I've already tried that - and that the setting was "on" but will double ck tomorrow.

Another strange one for the new 2010 460L -- I get a 5-10 second delay when I receive a cell phone call (I use a Lexus Bluetooth approved/registered cell phone) - requires me to say hello a few times before the call connects. Dealer advises that's the 5-6 second delay is throughout the Lexus line with no adjustment possible. Never had this problem with my 2008 460L or a 2006 IS 250 AWD and used the same cell phone - the phone worked flawlessly.
Old 04-06-10, 06:40 AM
ikey78
Driver

Originally Posted by ARLVACP
So far, no. Hitting the end call twice at the end of a call does not take me back to the map. The dealer advised that I should go to settings, general then auto screen and make sure the "on" option is set. I think I've already tried that - and that the setting was "on" but will double ck tomorrow.

Another strange one for the new 2010 460L -- I get a 5-10 second delay when I receive a cell phone call (I use a Lexus Bluetooth approved/registered cell phone) - requires me to say hello a few times before the call connects. Dealer advises that's the 5-6 second delay is throughout the Lexus line with no adjustment possible. Never had this problem with my 2008 460L or a 2006 IS 250 AWD and used the same cell phone - the phone worked flawlessly.
Try the following.

If you make your phone call by pushing the Info/Phone button on the dash then pushing a preset number or dialing the digits, when you end the call by pushing the steering wheel button twice you will go back to the phone screen. However, if you initiate the phone call sequence by pushing the off hook button on the steering wheel which brings up the phone screen, you will go back to whatever activity you were in previously such as the map when you end the call by pushing the steering wheel button twice. That is the way it works in my 2010 LWB LS.

Changing the auto screen settings did not change any of this behavior for me.

I agree that there is a delay when answering calls. I think it was there on my 2007 LS as well. I am now used to hitting the answer button then waiting a few seconds before saying anything.

Another change that I note is that in the 2007, while the map is showing on the Nav, push Audio or Climate buttons on the dash one time to get to the appropriate screen. Push the button a second time and it goes back to Nav. This does not happen in the 2010. I found the earlier system useful to take a quick look at audio or climate settings.
Old 04-07-10, 02:18 PM
whitetooth
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Gojirra99
They should have the APSSS(Active Power Stabilizer Suspension System) as standard(or at least an option) equipment for the LS460L to reduce body lean. ...
Oh yes, Bose suspension please.
Old 04-10-10, 01:53 PM
ARLVACP
Driver School Candidate

Try the following.

If you make your phone call by pushing the Info/Phone button on the dash then pushing a preset number or dialing the digits, when you end the call by pushing the steering wheel button twice you will go back to the phone screen. However, if you initiate the phone call sequence by pushing the off hook button on the steering wheel which brings up the phone screen, you will go back to whatever activity you were in previously such as the map when you end the call by pushing the steering wheel button twice. That is the way it works in my 2010 LWB LS.

Changing the auto screen settings did not change any of this behavior for me.

I agree that there is a delay when answering calls. I think it was there on my 2007 LS as well. I am now used to hitting the answer button then waiting a few seconds before saying anything.

Another change that I note is that in the 2007, while the map is showing on the Nav, push Audio or Climate buttons on the dash one time to get to the appropriate screen. Push the button a second time and it goes back to Nav. This does not happen in the 2010. I found the earlier system useful to take a quick look at audio or climate settings.
Thanks so much for this info. Here's some additional info:

Re the NAV Screen/Return to Map issue: Almost always use the steering wheel to initiate calls - and now that the Info button is on the right side of the NAV screen on the 2010 460L instead of the left side of the NAV screen where it was on the 2008 460L model (wish Lexus would revert to it being on the left closer to the driver!) I'll probably continue using the steering wheel off hook button. Tried pushing the steering wheel button twice and it still does not take me back to the map (where i was before initiating the call). In the 2008, pressing twice always took me back to the map. Will ck with the dealer on this.

Re the Phone delay: Dealer advised this week that they learned there was a software upgrade to the NAV system for the 2010 model and that Lexus is aware of the delay issue and working on it. Again, I had no connection delay in the 2008 460L - same phone.
Old 04-10-10, 02:55 PM
JFNash
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

1) Make internet access available
2) Something to help with the blind spot monitoring
3) Wish they develop engine oil that does not need to be replaced. They did it with the tranny, so they should be closer to do it with the engine.
4) Develop a technology to absorb all kinds of outside noise to compensate for the wind-noise problem =)
5) Get rid of advanced parking guidance system (the most useless feature I've ever seen).
6) Give me more flexibility with the hard disk drive. Right now it's pretty useless. Why can't I record from radio? And copy mp3 files from flash drives and cds/dvds?
7) Make the gauges more beautiful. The Japanese 600hL's dash should be adopted.
8) Redesign the glove box to make it useful.
9) Why don't I have full control over the car's functions? Why should I go to the dealer every time I want to do something as simple as changing how many seconds the cars waits before it locks itself after I unlock it. This should be under my control, not the dealer's.
10) A gauge to show the horsepower utilization would be a nice feature to have, though I'm not a mechanic and don't understand the horsepower concept very well. But I was thinking the other day why we have gauges for everything else but not the horsepower?

Quick Reply: Let's Help Lexus: How Would You Improve the LS?