LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

To Pressure/Power Wash or Not?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-09, 10:54 AM
terrain
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default To Pressure/Power Wash or Not?

Curious how other folks who wash their own cars wash them? Back in the day I would take my special cars to a detail shop and observed many of their washing and detailing ways. Fast forward many years - marriage - etc.. and $250 to $500 per session is not an option so I'm doing my own drveway wash/detail.

Curious to know if folks are power washing or....?
Old 01-25-09, 11:00 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Pressure washing isn't bad, you just can't shoot it too close to the car. Then again if you're going to stand further back, you might as well just use a regular garden hose. Garden hose and bucket is the tried and true method for washing off dirt.
Old 01-25-09, 12:32 PM
terrain
Pole Position

I watched this detail shop do a light pressure wash to get the dirt/dust off of the car's before washing - and then again after to get the soap etc... off. The shop in q does a lot of high end cars - most 4 to 5 times more $ than my LS L so if its good enough for a 400+K Phantom it should be good enough for the Lexus.
Old 01-25-09, 01:00 PM
Kaydee
Hacked CL to become a Mod

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

you don't need it but it helps getting rid of the dirt and grime that does not stuck onto the panels so hard, but it does not rinse as well IMO. the only thing i find useful with that is when you're trying to wash off road salt and grime from under the car and inside the wheel well
Old 01-25-09, 01:11 PM
terrain
Pole Position

Agreed - I find the pressure washer works best on wheels.
Old 01-25-09, 02:04 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

having high end cars don't mean much. a normal hose can be as good
Old 01-25-09, 02:37 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

What kind of pressure do you need to rinse off dirt? My spray nozzle has a jet setting that's enough to loosen up mud on the paint. As for the wheels, a simple cleaner, wheel brush, and some agitation will do the trick far more effectively than shooting pressured water at it. In the end you need to brush the wheels anyways.

If you have the money to spend, then a pressure washer is possible. If you dont mind lugging it out for each car wash, then do it. It's always neat to have tools
Old 01-25-09, 03:00 PM
Johnny
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

I have a 3000 psi Karcher gas powered pressure washer that sometimes feels like it could strip the paint off, and it actually has on another car once. However, I use it very sparingly as I find pressure washers are not that effective at blasting "road film" off unless you really work it; mostly it does best with large dirt particles that you shouldn't take a sponge to for fear of scratching the clearcoat. Another reason I avoid using it is the droning sounds I inflict on my neighbours, as I hate hearing theirs as well. They are notorious noise polluters.
Old 01-25-09, 06:05 PM
PatsSoxfan
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by terrain
Curious how other folks who wash their own cars wash them? Back in the day I would take my special cars to a detail shop and observed many of their washing and detailing ways. Fast forward many years - marriage - etc.. and $250 to $500 per session is not an option so I'm doing my own drveway wash/detail.

Curious to know if folks are power washing or....?
I pay $35 per month to a car wash company called Mr. Car Wash for unlimited washings and vacuumings (interior). They do a fabulous job. I bring it in for a wash on an average of about twice per week throughout the year.
Old 01-25-09, 06:34 PM
Craig B
Pole Position

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts

I have a pressure washer, but don't use it on my cars. You can blast the paint off if you get too close with it. I have used it for the wheel wells in the winter time on my SUV. I use either a micro fiber mitt or a lambs wool mitt and a bucket with a good car wash soap. Don't use dish detergent, it will strip all the wax off your car. A hose works just fine for me. I never take my cars through an automatic wash. I also don't let the dealer wash them when I take them in for service.

Craig
Old 01-25-09, 07:52 PM
terrain
Pole Position

Speaking of Lexus dealerships that wash while you wait - I'm always amazed by how many folks are camped out at the dealership waiting for their car to be washed. I had a moment to peek inside the indoor parking area to see a 600 that had just been washed and if the windows had not been wet I would have never known a wash was even "Attempted" - guess its better than driving through the sprinklers but in this case the 600 owner got pretty much what he paid for.
Old 01-26-09, 12:05 PM
Nospinzone

Received 418 Likes on 322 Posts

I've had my car in to the dealer for two scheduled oil changes. Both times I not only tell the service writer not to wash it, but I also put a yellow post-it right on the steering wheel reading - DO NOT WASH!

Unfortunately my dealer does not hand wash.
Old 01-26-09, 02:49 PM
slybydesig
Rookie

I used to detail cars on the weekends. I recently quit two weeks ago. I did it for over two years, detailing some very rear cars, complicated metallic paints and such. The best way to go, IMO; is with an adjustable nozzle, a bucket of clean soap water, and a big sponge. I broke it down into stages.

Stage 1: Lightly wet the car, soap it, then wash and rinse.

Stage 2: You will need a Copy Machine Vacuum: Take the back end off the vacuum an it becomes a blower, very light and easy to use to get as much as 89% of the excess water in small areas you can't reach with just a Mircofiber Towel.

Stage 2.5: LOL, forgot to mention, if you plan on clay baring, Turtle, makes a clay bar kit which I found amazing. Its a trick to it, which they don't let you know when you buy the product. Make sure your car is 100% wet with very little soap still on it. Best is after the soap rinse. Use the liquid ice mix (light blue) on the applicator it comes with, and go at it. Every so often putting more of the mix on the applicator. ***Make fully sure the applicator is wet at all times, you will scratch your car if you let the applicator or the car dry. Once you have done the entire car you will see a very dry car. Wash the again, then use a light non abrasive polisher and your car will be good for 6 months.

Stage 3: Once the car is dry wax, polish or a nice sprayer wax if your car was polished in the past month or so.

Doing it this way will reduce the amount of water you use, while giving your car a sweet clean look. You can do it yourself. But what ever you do to wash your car, never ever do it in direct sun light no matter what people tell you.
Old 01-26-09, 03:01 PM
lxus4xms
Driver

Two options.

A.) Touchless car wash when you fill up for $5.00 I love these

B.) Bucket, soft towels, soft soap, warm water and a garden hose.
Cold bottle of wine and two glasses. You should at least share a bottle of good wine with your lovely wife after she washes your car. I also like to use Turtle wax ICE this is very easy to use and it looks almost as good as a hand wax.

Pressure wash in the winter months at best

Last edited by lxus4xms; 01-26-09 at 03:04 PM.
Old 01-26-09, 05:08 PM
Johnny
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by lxus4xms
B.) Bucket, soft towels, soft soap, warm water and a garden hose.
Cold bottle of wine and two glasses. You should at least share a bottle of good wine with your lovely wife after she washes your car.
I like your approach, and would add an extra hose, and an obligatory uniform for my lady: a white T-shirt only. I would use the extra hose to keep her T-shirt wet while she washes the car.

Quick Reply: To Pressure/Power Wash or Not?