LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Made a mistake ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-09, 05:08 PM
dkrout
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Made a mistake ?

I have never owned a Lexus, but several Toyota's. Mostly Avalon Limited's.
I love the LS460L, but feel I have made a mistake after a week of ownership, and that is due to wind noise. I wish to thank all of you for the information available to me, so that I go to the dealer with ammunition to attack my problems. Our car is a 2007 with under 20K miles, so warranty covers all my areas of concern. Just never expected the lack of cabin seal in an automobile of this caliber.
Old 03-08-09, 05:26 PM
jmcraney

Received 264 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by dkrout
I love the LS460L, but feel I have made a mistake after a week of ownership, and that is due to wind noise. I wish to thank all of you for the information available to me, so that I go to the dealer with ammunition to attack my problems. Our car is a 2007 with under 20K miles, so warranty covers all my areas of concern. Just never expected the lack of cabin seal in an automobile of this caliber.
There is probably an easy, inexpensive fix for your wind noise problem. As of now your dealer probably will not/can not fix your car. Be careful not to try to force your dealer into doing something that will compromise the integrity of your car.
Old 03-08-09, 06:02 PM
usermel
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

JM Craney makes a great point! That model has that issue with all the LS460's! I feel the aggravation you feel hearing that noise but, at least its not a number of tech issues or engine transmission issues! That said, I would just hold on to it for a total of 60-75 thousand miles and then sell it. There will be plenty of takers buddy! Also, like JM Craney said, there are ways to correct that issue and shops that can fix it and may not be a costly fix buddy. In these times thats small issue with folks losing cars/homes/jobs etc.. Again I do still understand your disappointment. Great car that you own, be blessed!!!! L.G.N.M

Last edited by usermel; 03-08-09 at 06:04 PM. Reason: spelling!
Old 03-08-09, 07:14 PM
jmcraney

I need to give you some more specific advice, but every time I start this I fear that I am adding confusion. I think that the best thing for you to do is read every page of the wind noise fix discussion thread - https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...iscussion.html - beginning at page 1 and currently ending at page 34. It is a lot of reading and it will take a while but you need to do that before you start with the dealer. If you take the time to do this reading it is likely you will know a lot more about the wind noise problem than anyone at your dealership.

Your dealer may know how to fix the wind noise problem, or, he may not know. If he can fix it he should know that he has a ready solution. If you try to force a fix or allow him to experiment on your car the integrity of your car may be compromised. Since your car is a used car it may already have that sort of condition but probably not. I suggest a friendly discussion and if the dealership can't help you then go away confident that you can effect a solution any time you want to. There are rumors from several sources that a solution from Lexus is imminent. These rumors have been around for several months and it may come any day or it may never come. Lots of owners have fixed their cars with the DIY fix while others have been suffering, and their indignation growing, for more than a year because they are waiting for Lexus to come through.
Old 03-09-09, 04:11 PM
dkrout
Driver School Candidate

Default the wind

jm,

Thanks for responding, and providing further reading. I bought my car from the dealers son...you know "the spoiled little brat". I am sure they have not compromised the car's integrity, and I will be very careful about my approach.
I plan on taking in my best information. The shop manager is suppose to drive the car for a couple of days, and I will stress that I do not want to be an experimental fix candidate.
Old 03-09-09, 04:31 PM
dkrout
Driver School Candidate

usermel,
Thanks for your reply. I may have a local shop do the fix jmcraney showed. I have a wife who has been battling cancer for the past 2 years, so I am very aware my wind noise is nothing in the grand scheme of things, and we are very blessed in so many ways. Just rather **** when it comes to paying for an irritation Lexus should have covered by now for it's owners that's all.
Old 03-09-09, 05:25 PM
miniz
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

jm,

Thanks for responding, and providing further reading. I bought my car from the dealers son...you know "the spoiled little brat". I am sure they have not compromised the car's integrity, and I will be very careful about my approach.
I plan on taking in my best information. The shop manager is suppose to drive the car for a couple of days, and I will stress that I do not want to be an experimental fix candidate.
Have you physically checked the vehicle for accident damage? Dealer or dealer family owned vehicles have a strange way of getting into major accidents that never appear on CARFAX (the dealer pays cash to fix them in their own shop and never reports the accident). You may be driving a repaired wreck that wasn't put together all that well and you are hearing the damage whistle in the wind.
Old 03-09-09, 06:25 PM
jmcraney

Originally Posted by miniz
Have you physically checked the vehicle for accident damage? Dealer or dealer family owned vehicles have a strange way of getting into major accidents that never appear on CARFAX (the dealer pays cash to fix them in their own shop and never reports the accident). You may be driving a repaired wreck that wasn't put together all that well and you are hearing the damage whistle in the wind.
For many of the 2007 -2009 LSs, the wind noise is a no-charge factory option, unrelated to any kind of collision damage.

A DIY fix is detailed at:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...ussion-28.html

There is news today regarding a "Lexus fix" for this problem at:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...d-is-near.html
Old 03-10-09, 03:41 AM
PHCMA
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jmcraney
For many of the 2007 -2009 LSs, the wind noise is a no-charge factory option, unrelated to any kind of collision damage.

A DIY fix is detailed at:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...ussion-28.html

There is news today regarding a "Lexus fix" for this problem at:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...d-is-near.html
Thanks for the Links why not kill the old Threads and just post a Sticky using these links?
Old 03-10-09, 04:40 AM
dkrout
Driver School Candidate

Miniz,
Had a local shop owner, who has owned 26 lex auto's, do a comprehensive check of the car before I made my final offer...he said buy it....ony found minor damage to rear bumper. You made a very good point however. Thanks