LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Paint Issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-09, 10:45 AM
slybydesig
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paint Issues

Over the weekend I noticed several paint discoloration on my bosses LS460. I noticed some very ruff patches in the door pillars and some on the roof of the car by the back window. It looks to be oxidation but I can't call it. He had his car detailed by Lexus two weeks ago and to be honest I don't think they did a good job, nor did they inform him of this discoloration. I suggested he take it back to Lexus. I know some times new cars need to be repainted for what ever reason. How could he find out if there was any paint work done on his car prior to purchase? Also, has anybody else experience this discoloration. It looks to be in a circular motion, and its also on the black plastic strip between the roof and window. It doesn't look to be tree sap, but it looks like its already eating away at the clear coat. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-23-09, 01:13 PM
Johnny
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Sounds like a very poor job by the individual who detailed the car. The circular swirls are a sure tell-tale sign that the pressure on the polisher was too high, sub-standard or dirty materials were used, or the job was rushed and not complete. Some dealers have an in-house detailer, but those that don't may just be using the car wash guy to do the job. Tell your boss to get back to the dealer as soon as possible so they can't use the time elapsed since the work was done as an excuse. All of this may have led to some discoloration, especially if polishing removed or burned the paint.
Old 03-23-09, 01:42 PM
slybydesig
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you very much for replying. I figured it was that. I looked at it this weekend and was very surprised to see that. They also left wax in the groove of the invisible bra. I took that out, but did not want to mess with the area where the discoloration happened. I fear that if not attended to immediately it will worsen quick do to the fact my boss lives by the beach. I wish I would have went with him when he dropped it off. Hopefully the issue can be addressed with out having it repainted. He may need a really good wet sanding in that area, but as far as the plastic piece it may need replacing. Its a shame what people do to nice cars. Thanks Burnaby