LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Windshield Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-18, 05:15 PM
Caflashbob
Instructor

Received 189 Likes on 148 Posts

An observation:

the previous owners of both my Lexus’s replaced the oem windshield with aftermarkets.

been noticing the hot dash area in the LS as it’s a black dash. Even though the windshield says “solar tint” it gets physically hot and radiates heat down and towards the passengers.

The passage of the infrared and various UV rays heats the dashboard a lot. Smells like hot plastic.

The air conditioner was built and enginereeed for the oem gold internal tinted design like the side windows. Major reduction in heat gain and dash heating.

Over long enough I think it will damage the dash and the extra heat may dry out the leather parts themselves and accelerate the vinyl door panels stickiness and wear.

i am wondering if the dash issues reported here are with oem or replacement glass.

front glass and dash are noticeable physically hotter than the side windows at similar sun angle exposures.

thought about ceramic tint but my thoughts were that the glass will still be hot.

If the infrared and UV rejection is built into the glass the glass itself should stay cooler as should the dash.

Constantly kicking up the ac fan from the hot air from the windshield/dash area combo.

i am going to replace both windshields with oem parts for this issue.

i would not recommend aftermarket glass on either a LS or SC.

car was made for the oem heat and UV rejection built into the glass it seems.

Both cars are “keepers” and both the LS and SC seemed to have air conditioning adjustment issues...

ahhh. Incorrect glass. Car not designed for aftermarket glass. Messes up the ac....
Old 08-22-19, 11:41 AM
Richardgil
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

GM and Buick: All GM wants to do is to build as many cars as they can as fast as they can and as cheap as they can. I wouldn’t buy a spark plug from GM.
Old 08-22-19, 01:09 PM
sdls
Lexus Champion

Received 294 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by Richardgil
GM and Buick: All GM wants to do is to build as many cars as they can as fast as they can and as cheap as they can. I wouldn’t buy a spark plug from GM.
You raised a year-old thread just to make that remark?
Old 08-22-19, 04:22 PM
Richardgil
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes I did. I just happened to see your posting and I agreed so much with your comment concerning the Buick I felt I had to.
Old 12-01-20, 05:30 PM
CL460
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was looking up the OEM part# for the windshield, apparently there are 6 different ones.
Which one is the correct one to pick? There is one that has heated without precrash system, and with rain sensor.
When it mentions heated, is that describing the cars that come with the de-icer? Under the owner's manual pg. 371, it has a climate button which my LS doesn't have, so I am guessing I don't need the heated one.
Part# 56101-50760: heated, without precrash system, with rain sensor. Part# 56101-50780: no heated, no precrash, with rain sensor. (I think this is the one I'm supposed to get)
Any help would be most appreciated. Thank you in advance everyone.
Old 01-26-21, 11:18 AM
Boomin
Racer

Received 410 Likes on 248 Posts

I just got off the horn with the glass shop and I explained how the word is to stick to factory windshield, not to use aftermarket he said ok np but it's ridiculous. He's never heard of an issue with any windshield. Ever. Send a picture of your vin that's in your door, I'll call your insurance company and call you back.
The reason why im interested in changing my windshield is when the sun hits it just right booooooom a million little sparkles happen.

Last edited by Boomin; 01-26-21 at 01:50 PM.
Old 11-25-21, 08:03 PM
jdanielca
Pole Position

Received 212 Likes on 190 Posts

So it might be time to replace the windshield. Thing is they changed part numbers and from where I usually buy my stuff the new numbers are more expensive than the old part numbers. Is there a difference?

so some questions:

I know that basically I need one with auto rain sensing. I don’t know if I have de-icer I need to check.

1. there seems to be few main variants. Ones that say LAM, which I guess stands for laminated, green blah blah with various options and LAM blue.
2. then there’s also EHL, which I have no idea what that stands for.
3. other than the cut outs for the pre Collision camera, if I find one for a good price there’s no reason I cannot install that right ? Maybe there’s even a way to rig up the de-icer