LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

F.Y.I. New TSIB for "Crosswind Turbulence Fix"

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-09, 01:33 PM
Helmar
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by astrotoy
Has anyone else had this TSIB done?
I had it done last week.

A 1/2 in square rectangle is added on each side of the windshield, that goes from top to bottom.

Also, the windshield wiper arm was shortened to reflect the slightly reduced range.

The pictures below show the added piece. Sorry they're so BIG!

The dealer sub-contracted the job to a local windshield glass company explaining that "They weren't comfortable" doing it themselves.

As to results, the juries still out. I'm not sure what if any improvement there is.

HBH

Old 04-24-09, 01:59 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thx for the pics, Helmar!
Old 04-24-09, 02:52 PM
jmcraney

Received 276 Likes on 208 Posts

WOW! I wonder what they will do if they factory-equip the 2010 models with this configuration and then still have to buy some back? Hara-kari? It may be a good time to buy stock in a Japanese sword company.
Old 04-26-09, 08:50 AM
Mike_TX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Okay, I'm confused. I can't reconcile the term "square rectangle", but I assume Helmar is referring to the black trim piece running vertically up either side of the windshield.

My '08 has that already, as I'm sure all models do, but I'm guessing it's been modified in some way. I can't tell from his pictures what modification may have been performed. The PDF of the TSB suggests that the existing trim (that black piece) is secured to the roof drip trim by way of a rivet.

I'm gathering there is a gap between the two trim pieces that contributes to the wind noise. That wouldn't surprise me, since I've looked at area before myself. the black trim piece fits rather loosely, and I can see how wind can get up under it and make some noise.

Maybe Helmar will give us a road report pretty soon.

EDIT TO ABOVE: I've gone out and looked at my car, and I see Helmar's new trim piece is wider than mine, and mine is more "dished" in shape. Perhaps the dished shape was creating a "hollow" in which wind could be trapped and swirl around. (?)

Last edited by Mike_TX; 04-26-09 at 08:59 AM.
Old 04-26-09, 05:43 PM
Helmar
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike_TX
Okay, I'm confused. I can't reconcile the term "square rectangle", but I assume Helmar is referring to the black trim piece running vertically up either side of the windshield.

My '08 has that already, as I'm sure all models do, but I'm guessing it's been modified in some way. I can't tell from his pictures what modification may have been performed. The PDF of the TSB suggests that the existing trim (that black piece) is secured to the roof drip trim by way of a rivet.

I'm gathering there is a gap between the two trim pieces that contributes to the wind noise. That wouldn't surprise me, since I've looked at area before myself. the black trim piece fits rather loosely, and I can see how wind can get up under it and make some noise.

Maybe Helmar will give us a road report pretty soon.

EDIT TO ABOVE: I've gone out and looked at my car, and I see Helmar's new trim piece is wider than mine, and mine is more "dished" in shape. Perhaps the dished shape was creating a "hollow" in which wind could be trapped and swirl around. (?)

Prior to the TSIB, my LS had no such black trim piece, only a smooth transition from the glass to the body.

The TSIB installed this black piece.

Helmar
Old 04-26-09, 08:53 PM
PatsSoxfan
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Helmar
Prior to the TSIB, my LS had no such black trim piece, only a smooth transition from the glass to the body.

The TSIB installed this black piece.

Helmar
I had Lexus do this so called fix a few weeks ago and I think it is a waste of time. My car only has a small whisper of a wind noise after I did the jmcraney original fix but I thought what the heck. Let's see what happens with this new Lexus fix. It made no difference. The noise is obviously worse with strong winds. The bottom line is that Lexus refuses to admit that the jmcraney fix is the only real fix. They are being incredibly stubborn.

I am going to do the revised jmcraney fix in the very near future to see if I can have my car be tomb-like quiet as is jmcraney's.
Old 04-27-09, 05:54 AM
Mike_in_DTW
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sometimes I wish I had my LS430 back. It's what made me a Lexus fan. If I wanted a Germanic ride and more exhaust sound, I would have bought a Mercedes or a Bimmer. As a previous LS430 owner, I can say for certain that my LS460L is has considerably more wind noise/turbulence. I love the looks of my new car, but I'm frustrated that it's not as quiet on the freeway and rides stiffer - not to mention the wind noise. Just my $.02.
Old 04-27-09, 07:25 AM
Craig B
Pole Position

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike_in_DTW
Sometimes I wish I had my LS430 back. It's what made me a Lexus fan. If I wanted a Germanic ride and more exhaust sound, I would have bought a Mercedes or a Bimmer. As a previous LS430 owner, I can say for certain that my LS460L is has considerably more wind noise/turbulence. I love the looks of my new car, but I'm frustrated that it's not as quiet on the freeway and rides stiffer - not to mention the wind noise. Just my $.02.
Mike, I agree... The dash is also much cheaper in the LS 460. The seats aren't as good either. I think part of the reason for the stiff ride is the cheap tires my car came with from the factory. My LS 430 had Michelin's on it. The Dunlop tires are terrible. I also have the wind noise issue. I've had the laminated glass installed, but not sure I'm going to have this new fix installed. I don't like the way it looks. I have to take my car in for the fuel rail recall. My dealer is going to do the wind noise fix on another car and let me know how it turns out. I don't want my car to be a test subject. The way I understand it, there is no going back with this new fix...

Craig
Old 04-27-09, 08:55 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

The LS430's comes with 16" and 17" wheels with thicker tires(=smoother ride) too right ?
Old 04-27-09, 09:30 AM
ls460love
Driver

Default Feedback from my dealer visit this morn

Team -

I spoke at length with my service advisor at Cherry Hill Lexus this morning. Having a pretty solid grasp on all things LS460, he was very comfortable being candid with me about an assortment of nits that I had with the vehicle and the subsequent fixes that Lexus has proposed for them (see wind noise, glove compartment alignment, foam filling of dash etc). We discussed the most recent wind fix that the head of the dealership had performed on his LS460 and I was told to STAY AWAY! He was very frank and told me that not only did it make the noise worse, but at a level so shocking he immediately called their corp rep to provide feedback. UGH.

I have a few other items being addressed there so please keep me in your prayers.
Old 04-27-09, 12:24 PM
Mike_in_DTW
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ls460love
Team -

I spoke at length with my service advisor at Cherry Hill Lexus this morning. Having a pretty solid grasp on all things LS460, he was very comfortable being candid with me about an assortment of nits that I had with the vehicle and the subsequent fixes that Lexus has proposed for them (see wind noise, glove compartment alignment, foam filling of dash etc). We discussed the most recent wind fix that the head of the dealership had performed on his LS460 and I was told to STAY AWAY! He was very frank and told me that not only did it make the noise worse, but at a level so shocking he immediately called their corp rep to provide feedback. UGH.

I have a few other items being addressed there so please keep me in your prayers.
Thanks for the update. That's all I needed to hear to convince me that I can live with the wind noise in my 08. To be honest, it's really not bad at all. It's just that it's more noticeable than it was in my 06 LS430. I have to admit that I was aware of it before buying an LS460, but I couldn't help myself because I really like the new body style. Like many on the forum, I can always find things I don't like about the car, but I'm not going to make the situation worse by having a "fix" performed that doesn't accomplish it's goal and runs the risk of causing other problems.
Old 04-27-09, 12:26 PM
Craig B
Pole Position

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Gojirra99
The LS430's comes with 16" and 17" wheels with thicker tires(=smoother ride) too right ?

Right, mine had 17" wheels...

Craig
Old 04-27-09, 12:31 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Gojirra99
IIRC, there were two basic types of tires for the UCF 30 II LS 430, and they included 6-spoke 17" wheels and the 5-spoke 18" alloy wheels (e.g. the the LS 430 Touring had the 18" wheels), the 17" wheels and tires were reportedly smoother.
Old 04-27-09, 12:32 PM
PatsSoxfan
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Mike_in_DTW
Thanks for the update. That's all I needed to hear to convince me that I can live with the wind noise in my 08. To be honest, it's really not bad at all. It's just that it's more noticeable than it was in my 06 LS430. I have to admit that I was aware of it before buying an LS460, but I couldn't help myself because I really like the new body style. Like many on the forum, I can always find things I don't like about the car, but I'm not going to make the situation worse by having a "fix" performed that doesn't accomplish it's goal and runs the risk of causing other problems.
I honestly could not detect any difference (not worse or better) after the latest Lexus attempeted wind noise fix on my car. The only thing you waste is time.
Old 04-28-09, 01:30 PM
zeebra
Driver School Candidate

I just called my dealer about this, he said they have done a half-dozen of them, and so far none of their customers has declared this a 'fix'.
In other words, the feedback he has been getting is that it "doesnt work".
I am worried that it seems too complex to dig into if there is no appreciable improvement, so I wont request the official TSIB be done.

I will wait until they have an official TSIB for the 'plastic triangle sealant' fix that currently is only a personal fix (which seems to work at least a little bit).

Z ('07 LS460 (SWB))

Quick Reply: F.Y.I. New TSIB for "Crosswind Turbulence Fix"