LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Speedometer Error

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-09, 09:46 AM
Mike_TX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Speedometer Error

Okay, this may have been discussed, but I didn't find it.

I have long suspected my speedo is reading higher than my actual speed - partly because I have passed numerous fixed radar speed displays that always show me going slower than my speedo says.

So I finally took my wife's portable Garmin GPS (which displays speed constantly) and went for a drive. When my cruise is locked onto 30mph, the GPS says I'm doing 28. At 50mph on my speedo, the GPS says I'm barely doing 47, and at 60, the GPS says I'm doing only 57.

In short, it appears obvious my speedo is reading 5% faster than my actual speed. That's within specification, and within the requirements of the DOT, I know, but it was still enlightening.

Anybody else checked theirs? Is this pretty much how they're set?

Well, the good part is that I can speed a little and not worry about exceeding the limit.

Old 05-04-09, 10:01 AM
TripleL
No Substitute

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Hey there,

FWIW my 2006 2IS was exactly how you describe. In fact I went thru the same process and could have easily posted the same.

Separate but related, when I replaced my tires earlier this year I wanted a little better ride quality so I went up one size from the 45 series to the 50 series tire (added 4/10 of an inch to the sidewall) and now my speedometer imatches my Garmin and the roadside radar!

Last edited by TripleL; 05-04-09 at 10:06 AM.
Old 05-04-09, 10:07 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

funny, my gs350, ls460l, and now my m3 are all similar to what you have, speedo faster
Old 05-04-09, 10:29 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 220 Likes on 148 Posts

It's a good thing, may help you guys not to go over the speed limit by too much, so you won't get an expensive ticket and have your license suspended
The following users liked this post:
CamelKool (01-21-21)
Old 05-04-09, 10:49 AM
Midwestuse
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't forget though that your odometer mileage reading is tied to the spedomoeter. Therefore you'll be putting miles on your car at a slightly faster pace than reality.
The following users liked this post:
CamelKool (01-21-21)
Old 05-04-09, 11:26 AM
Johnny
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

The 18" OEM tires are "slightly" smaller than the 19" OEM tires. Since Lexus probably uses the same speedo system (pickup, cable & readout) for both tire sizes, and these are interchangeable, I would bet dollars to doughnuts they calibrated the system to be accurate for the larger tires, and let the smaller tires be off a bit. And this is validated by TripleL's experience above. I did some math in a previous thread that correlates this, except my analysis had to do with extra distance as opposed to speed. IOW, your smaller tire's smaller diameter translates into a marginally slower rate of travel, than indicated on your speedometer.

Last edited by Johnny; 05-04-09 at 07:07 PM.
Old 05-04-09, 12:27 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Gojirra99
It's a good thing, may help you guys not to go over the speed limit by too much, so you won't get an expensive ticket and have your license suspended
haha that's what i think to comfort myself, specially when in my m3
Old 05-04-09, 04:41 PM
bruceko
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

My 08 ls is the same.
Off about 4 mph at 60
it also makes me think I am getting better gas mileage
Old 05-05-09, 09:01 AM
Mike_TX
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Midwestuse
Don't forget though that your odometer mileage reading is tied to the spedomoeter. Therefore you'll be putting miles on your car at a slightly faster pace than reality.
I wonder if at the end of my lease I can convince them I'm entitled to an extra 2,250 miles allowance? (45,000 x .05 = 2,250)

Yeah, right. But if I were an attorney, I think I'd give it a try just for the fun of it.

Old 05-05-09, 09:16 AM
Johnny
Pole Position

Originally Posted by bruceko
My 08 ls is the same.
Off about 4 mph at 60
it also makes me think I am getting better gas mileage
In theory you get better MPG using larger tires. This is because you gain extra distance per wheel turn (dia. x pi), with a very slight offset for the increased inertia to rotate that larger wheel.
Old 05-05-09, 10:01 AM
Midwestuse
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mike_TX
I wonder if at the end of my lease I can convince them I'm entitled to an extra 2,250 miles allowance? (45,000 x .05 = 2,250)

Yeah, right. But if I were an attorney, I think I'd give it a try just for the fun of it.

There was actually a class action law suite filed against Acura for this same reason and the defendants won. Acura ended up extending their warranties by 5% longer to compensate.
Old 05-05-09, 11:02 AM
Mike_TX
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Burnaby
In theory you get better MPG using larger tires. This is because you gain extra distance per wheel turn (dia. x pi), with a very slight offset for the increased inertia to rotate that larger wheel.
I'm assuming you mean substituting larger tires for OEM's, since that alters the final gearing of the vehicle. The manufacturers who offer larger diameter wheels (tires and wheels) as options adjust either gearing or tire diameter for the wheel size, so it's a wash.

IOW, if a given mfr offers both 18" and 19" wheels on a given model, they will typically either choose a tire size that yields the same overall diameter, or alter the gearing slightly, to compensate for any difference. Therefore, Car X will get the same mileage whether it has the 18's or the optional 19's.

Just to clarify ...

Old 05-05-09, 01:35 PM
Johnny
Pole Position

Ideally, that's what should happen. For the OEM Bridgestone EL42s 18s & 19s, that is not the case, and my previous calculations bore that out. I haven't checked Dunlops, Michelins or others tire sizes. Even if the tires are out a quarter inch, the long term difference is significant in terms of speed and mpg, but not enough for manufacturers to build individually accurate tolerances for each size. Further, users may later opt to change their tire sizes, either increasing or decreasing sizes to say nothing of tire wear. Manufacturers cannot design to these unknowns. So your case evidently falls into the "tolerable" category.
Old 05-10-09, 08:21 PM
zzzzdoc
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine also runs about 2-3mph high.

I can't seem to get a good reading on the discrepancy on my Lambo though:

Old 05-12-09, 05:05 PM
Mike_TX
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by zzzzdoc
Mine also runs about 2-3mph high.