LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Fuel rail replacement side effects?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-09, 05:42 PM
dsc07
Pole Position

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Fuel rail replacement side effects?

I had the fuel rails replaced per the tsib last month and have noticed the following peculiarities since I got the car back.

1) When starting the car, the engine revs a lot higher than it used to. It idles higher too, but goes back to normal one you put it in gear. After that, you can put it back in park and it idles normally.
2) When accellerating down hill (like on a freeway entrance), the car stays in a lower gear much longer than it used to and revs much higher, like 3000+ RPMS. When reaching freeway speed and taking my foot off the accellerator, rather than shifting to a higher gear, it stays in the lower gear. Once the incline flattens out, the car finally drops into a higher gear and lower RPMs.

I'm not a lead foot driver, usually smooth accelerations. The car seems to perform like normal on inclines and level ground, it's only on downhils that I really notice it.

If I understand this service bulletin correctly, they replaced the fuel injectors and cleaned the throttle linkage.

Anyone else experience this? The car was just fine before the repair. Anyone have any ideas? Could this have come from the fuel rail repair, or is it just a coincidence? I hope not, because I'm 2000 miles over the powertrain warranty.
Old 05-05-09, 10:51 PM
astrotoy
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I also noticed a little difference in shifting - not as smooth. I couldn't put my finger on it until you mentioned the higher rev speed. I think that may have been it. I didn't get it as prolonged and severe as yours. Recently I haven't noticed anything unusual. Today I drove about 100 miles, including some downhill. Seems to be back to normal. However, in the first week after I got the rails done, the shifting change was noticable. Of course I also got the glove box replaced.
Old 05-06-09, 05:56 AM
ls460love
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't see how either of these symptoms can be attributed to the fuel rail replacement. I had this performed recently and reviewed the TSiB at length. The only parts touched involve fuel delivery and one area of the cooling system.

They may have taken the liberty of updating your tranny map which could have altered your shift points. I can't figure out what might have altered your engine rev at startup.

So on the glove box replacement, did it fix the tolerance/poor fitment issue?
Old 05-06-09, 07:44 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 225 Likes on 153 Posts

What does the tranny have to do with anything about the fuel rail replacement ? I suppose it could be a seperate issue that arise independently. I would bring it back to show it to them if it persist.

Anyway, I sure am glad they told me that according to my VIN number, my 08 460L isn't included in the fuel rail recall campaign, that they have installed the new one when building it at the factory.
Old 05-06-09, 08:42 AM
ls460love
Driver

You are lucky as it's a fairly invasive project. I waited for some time in hopes the techs would get plenty of practice on other cars first.

BTW Andrew. I love those wheels on your LS. Are there good pics somewhere of your ride with them on it? I only see the link to it new and stock.
Old 05-06-09, 09:38 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 225 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by ls460love
You are lucky as it's a fairly invasive project. I waited for some time in hopes the techs would get plenty of practice on other cars first.

BTW Andrew. I love those wheels on your LS. Are there good pics somewhere of your ride with them on it? I only see the link to it new and stock.
If you look at the latter pages of that link, you will find a couple pics of those wheels PHOTOSHOPPED on a picture of my car.
Those are BBS LM's, but they are only available in 20's max., not the 22's the PS is trying to depict.

I still have the stock wheels, but have yet to find aftermarket wheels and tires combinations I really want to put on my car.
I prefer 21's and 22's, but last time I check, there still aren't all season tires that are available with those sizes, and I prefer to have all seasons with the weather here.
In the mean time, I am enjoying going over speed bumps and rough roads with the 18s, as none of my previous cars, or any other currently produced cars I've driven/rode have as compliant a ride as this one. Putting on 21s and 22s with those thin tires will compromise some of that, even with the air suspension that I have. So I will take my time ...

As for the fuel rail, yes I am glad my LS460L's does not need to be replaced, but I don't think the LS600hL's are involved in the recall campaign at all ...

Last edited by Gojirra99; 05-06-09 at 09:52 AM.
Old 05-06-09, 10:41 AM
ls460love
Driver

Thanks for the info. I love the look with the BBS (PS job or not)!

I am too fearful of compromising the ride for a larger wheel. Yes, it's better looking, but the current buttery feel is priceless and I personally like the look of the stock 18's (I have the same ones as you).

Air ride or not, there's no defying the laws of physics with super low pro tires. Furthermore, I've seen far too many expensive damaged wheels out there...
Old 05-06-09, 03:29 PM
astrotoy
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ls460love
I don't see how either of these symptoms can be attributed to the fuel rail replacement. I had this performed recently and reviewed the TSiB at length. The only parts touched involve fuel delivery and one area of the cooling system.

They may have taken the liberty of updating your tranny map which could have altered your shift points. I can't figure out what might have altered your engine rev at startup.

So on the glove box replacement, did it fix the tolerance/poor fitment issue?
It was the poor fitment - and it looks great now. I seriously doubt they worked on the transmission for free. My dealer doesn't do anything for free. It may have been our unseasonably cold and wet weather. Anyway, the car is behaving normally now.
Old 05-13-09, 07:41 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I am taking in my GS for the same thing in a few weeks. I hope once the fuel rails are on the car is the same. I wont stand for little ish like that. If the car idles higher the shifts from park to drive will be a little harsher