LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

LS460L Trunk Latch Disaster

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-10, 09:37 AM
jmcraney

Received 263 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by KAWeber
Thanks for this thread gentlemen,

I am also a member of this unique club. After laughing at that silly automatic trunk closer and having my teenage sons laugh at it, it took its revenge last night at the local Scottish Gathering. I have my wallet, camera, computer, musical instruments and backpacks stuck in the trunk of my car. I ask rhetorically, "What are the chances one of the boys straps being stuck in that unopenable latch?"

I'd be more resigned if it weren't for the fact that we need access to the equipment for a marching band today. I am tempted to use my wonderbar on it. But I want the dealer to do it.

I have had this 2008 460LS for 6 months. Nice car but this should not happen. The service shop is closed until Tues.

I guess I will now see how helpful my dealer is. I am hopeful; but, not expecting anything but sympathy.

I really appreciate your thread. Thanks.

Ken
From what you have told us I think it is unlikely that your car has suffered any damage, yet. That may change when you get someone to help you.

A suggestion for dealing with the problem that you have described is here: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/5713203-post1.html
Old 09-06-10, 02:41 PM
jmcraney

Received 263 Likes on 201 Posts

When this thread started I sensed that this sort of thing would happen to me too and since the consequences are so inconvenient and expensive I thought I would develop a plan to deal with it if it happened to me.

I came up with that "Emergency Trunk Opening Procedure" that I shared in a separate thread and I continue to believe that those instructions will get you out of any situation with the trunk.

In the process of coming up with that, I tried many different ideas to simulate things that could cause the trunk to not operate. One thing that I tried was to close the trunk on a towel and after several successful tries, doubling the towel after each try, I was able to get the trunk lid to sense that there was an obstruction and reverse. I moved the obstruction to several different positions and the trunk lid logic was smart enough to sense the obstruction and reverse without damage or jamming.

I did not try simulating a "strap-in-the-latch" because I was concerned that that sort of test might be too risky. I did look at the latch mechanism carefully and I didn't see any possibility that anything could be wound into it. Today, after reading about KAWeber's misfortune, I decided that I would look at it again but just from the "strap-in-the-latch" angle. I tried holding the trunk lid down while I unlatched it, sort of simulating what would happen if something was jammed into the latch mechanism. The lift motor gave up within a second, it is smart enough to sense that the lid was jammed. There was no damage to the lift motor. I repeated this several times - I had to push the lid down between each try because if you don't do that it is sort of dead.

The point I am trying to make is, if you do the "strap-in-the-latch" trick, you can usually get out of that situation simply by operating the unlatch one time (dash button or trunk button or remote) and then lifting the trunk lid by grasping the lip over the license plate and pulling up, probably 20 pounds of force would be enough. I think you will be dazzled how simple this is.

As for the design being marginal: it seems to be a very good design from a reliability and safety standpoint. It looks like it would be very difficult to damage. The claim that a junction box was overheated and damaged because of a strap pushed into the latch seems dubious. The junction box was probably damaged by someone operating the latch and lift motor repeatedly over a long period of time.

Last edited by jmcraney; 09-06-10 at 02:46 PM.
Old 09-06-10, 03:32 PM
Nospinzone

Received 416 Likes on 322 Posts

Let's see, the OP joined in May, started this thread in May (probably the day he joined), had 4 posts (all in this thread), was welcomed, given a wealth of avice, invited not to be a stranger, and has since disappeared.

Things that make you want to go hmmmmm ......
Old 09-06-10, 11:46 PM
JSTALEX
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lesson Learned

Atleast we will watch what we pack in the trunk from here on out I bet!
Old 10-08-10, 05:02 PM
etbrown4
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default My solution to my LS460 Trunk Latch Disaster

Notwithstanding all the good comments above, my solution to a jammed truck release is entirely different and worked for me. (Each situation may be a little or a lot different)

I found that with a jammed latch, caused by having too much stuff in the trunk and forcing the trunk to close under pressure, the solution in my case was electronic.

I tried the mechanical spare trunk key until my hand could not take it any more. I was able to force the key to turn clockwise and the trunk and lock would pop, rising only may be 1/16", or so little you could barely tell it.

I found that pressing the dash trunk release or the button under the trunk lid would only sound the tone and nothing else. I reasoned that the electronics might be jammed and needed to be cleared.

Removed one battery cable under the hood, waited 30 sec, reconnected the battery, pressed the deck lid button and bingo, the trunk magically opened!

$1000 cost saved, and a week 400 mi. away from home, with all luggage in the trunk saved.

Why Lexus dealer did not know this trick, who knows?
Why the solution is not in the Lexus manual, who knows?

I'd say that it's either about the money (the typical $1000 service) or ignorance, and neither is acceptable to me.

I hope this helps many others, and shame, shame, shame, on Lexus.