LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Auditory Sabotage

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-09, 12:51 AM
Th30n3
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Auditory Sabotage

There is a constant clicking/chirping/ticking coming thru my audio system. There are no warning lights; no malfunctions - just a constant onslaught of noise. NAV, BT, ML all function properly. But whatever is going on overrides all other auditory functions or commands. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-17-09, 06:27 PM
Nospinzone

Received 423 Likes on 326 Posts

Maybe the needle is stuck on the record!

Sounds like some electrical interference. Time to take it to the dealer.
Old 05-17-09, 08:20 PM
Johnny
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Use the search function.

There have been a number of audio system events (clicking, popping) similar to the one you describe.

I'll get you started. Click here!
Old 05-18-09, 09:46 AM
JTS09
Rookie

Default Chirping/Clicking from Audio System

Went through the exact same issue, about a year ago.
Cause was a bad Power Amp, for the HK Audio System. Dealer replaced the Amp (located in Trunk) and problem resolved. See your dealer for a definitive confirmation, and warranty replacement. Regards, Jim
Old 05-19-09, 12:29 PM
jlawr
Lead Lap

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

I also had the same problem. I also had to have the AMP replaced with a modified and updated one. See your dealer. This is a known issue. It's all under warranty.
Old 05-19-09, 02:11 PM
Th30n3
Driver School Candidate

"Put the needle on the record..." Thanks for the input. I took my car to the dealer this morning...waiting for a verdict.
Old 05-24-09, 05:58 PM
bartale
Driver School Candidate

Curious what the verdict was for your problem?

Unfortunately my 08 460 had this occur to me today too. Driving along listening to sat. radio and all of a sudden high pitched chirping sound starts. Turned off radio and sound continued. Pulled over and turned off car, restarted and chirp starts right back up. As long as car is on it is chirping away at an incredibly annoying decibil level.

Dealer bound I guess....disappointing only because with 13k miles I didn't really expect an issue. But I was perhaps spoiled by my GS that never had any warranty issues.
Old 05-25-09, 12:27 PM
JTS09
Rookie

Default High Pitched Chirp/ Amp Issue

I guarantee it's your Power Amp. Once again, they will replace it, and it's a very common issue, unfortunately! Mine did the exact same thing, at about the same mileage, and the only delay at the dealer was they had to order another one overnight. They had just done 2 others that day. The fix itself takes them just minutes as it slides out of a recessed sub well slide mount, under the rear trunk floor area. J.
Old 05-25-09, 09:59 PM
bartale
Driver School Candidate

J - thanks for your response. I have appointment tomorrow at 7am at my dealership to have them take a look. I am hoping it is as simple as the amp and in a weird way I will be thankful if it is something that others have had an issue with too (rather than some completely off the wall). I'll let you know the outcome.

Thanks, Bart
Old 05-26-09, 02:18 PM
bartale
Driver School Candidate

You were absolutely right about it being the power amp

My dealer says 3-5 days to get the part from the manufactuer. I asked if I could pay myself to have it overnighted/express shipping and the parts guy told my service rep over the phone something to the effect that wasn't a normal option but it should be here in 3-5 days I do like my service rep and I know he will do what he can for me. He did ask the parts guys to call to the manufacturer (ML?) to see if there was any way to expedite it.

Hoping my dealer comes through as it seems odd that if I am willing to pay the overnight costs that a very large Lexus dealer and the manufacturer can't make something happen but maybe I am being unreasonable.

I wouldn't normally care but I am traveling out of town on Saturday with friends and didn't want to take any chances that it isn't fixed by then. I am always talking about how great my LS is so I don't particular want to take the razzing about no stereo from my buddies.

Dealer did offer the loaner car (somewhat unloaded ES?) which I could even take on my road trip but I would rather drive my own LS....more comfortable ride and tinted. I have the passenger side audio fuse pulled out so the constant chirping noise is gone. They tell me it is perfectly ok to drive without the fuse...just no radio or sounds. In any case, I am keeping my fingers crossed that they can get it in before Saturday.....
Old 05-26-09, 08:13 PM
Th30n3
Driver School Candidate

So, after ordering the AMP (JTS09 was on the $$$) on the Friday the 15th, my service rep told me to bring the car in on Tuesday the 19th. The part didn't arrive until the 21st (just to give you an idea on the wait time bartale). I took possession once again on the 22nd. Of course, it was covered by the warranty. In the meantime, I drove the RX 400 Hybrid loaner (not impressed). I am sooooo happy to be back in MY LS.
Old 05-27-09, 11:03 AM
JTS09
Rookie

Default Power Amp Defect

Hey, glad that you guys are on the road to recovery, no pun intended.
OK, the pun was intended, but a little more info on the Power Amp. The unit is designed by Levinson, but built by the parent compnay Harman, of Harman Kardon and Harman Automotive fame. They use a sub-con in Asia to build the original unit, and they had a bad Power Transistor that caused many of the intiial production units that went to production or inventory, to be compromised. Some are lucky and the unit maybe OK, but many have come back, as some of us know. Anyway, I haven't had any trouble after the replacement, nor has anyone else I know with a 460 that had a failure.Just another one of those things I guess. Good luck! Jim

Last edited by JTS09; 05-27-09 at 11:09 AM.
Old 05-27-09, 03:38 PM
trk1
Rookie

Angry

Originally Posted by Th30n3
There is a constant clicking/chirping/ticking coming thru my audio system. There are no warning lights; no malfunctions - just a constant onslaught of noise. NAV, BT, ML all function properly. But whatever is going on overrides all other auditory functions or commands. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

I started having the same problem today. I drive a 1996 es300 and I don't have any warranties left so dealer will charge me for repairs. I'm thinking i might as well replace system with after market amp and speakers then pay dealer to fix the crappy old amp and speakers. What do you guys think i should do? (keep in mind i am a college student and budget is limited)
Old 05-27-09, 04:49 PM
JTS09
Rookie

Default ES300 Radio/Changer Replacement

So sorry to hear about your issue with your ES! Keep the faith though, as the Internet is ripe with original, functioning OEM replacement parts. I believe your model Radio/Changer had an integrated Amp, so it may be a little easier still. You can refer to the following link for one good site for ES replacement radios, amongst other parts. I suggest you try and get a deal on the original radio and swap it out. It should be pretty easy to access the original mounts on that model and do it yourself, or have it done cheaply by a local audio store. You probably would not want to retro in an aftermarket amp that doesn't have the same footprint, and may ultimately cheapen the appearence of the car. The ES300 is/was a strong runner and is worth the effort! See link below. Good luck. Jim http://www.automotix.net/partshotlin...-requests.html
Old 05-27-09, 11:20 PM
Th30n3
Driver School Candidate

Default Why not

Either way, it depends....Do you want to keep that original look? In that case I think JTS09 is on the money....Or do you want switch it up a bit? If so, be sure to find someone that will 1) work within your budget and 2) won't butcher the job.

Originally Posted by trk1
I started having the same problem today. I drive a 1996 es300 and I don't have any warranties left so dealer will charge me for repairs. I'm thinking i might as well replace system with after market amp and speakers then pay dealer to fix the crappy old amp and speakers. What do you guys think i should do? (keep in mind i am a college student and budget is limited)

Quick Reply: Auditory Sabotage