LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Sixty Dollars for Cabin Air Filter

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-09, 01:47 PM
zeebra
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Burnaby, I love the eucalyptus oil idea!
I occasionally smoke in my LS, and need to replace and/or clean my cabin filter a lot to keep it from smelling like an ashtray.... the oil is going on tomorrow when I change my filter again...
I was thinking about going with a K&N cabin air filter so I get the best possible airflow through my system, they claim 10-15% colder air when using K&N versus standard paper filters in your air conditioner! ;-)
TeeHee
Z
Old 08-02-09, 06:42 AM
TOLex168
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go to home depot and buy a big decent air filter at your choice of quality and cut it. A good decent filter costs around $20, and you could cut it into 4 fiters for LS/ES.
Old 08-03-09, 09:07 PM
Mike_TX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TOLex168
Go to home depot and buy a big decent air filter at your choice of quality and cut it. A good decent filter costs around $20, and you could cut it into 4 fiters for LS/ES.
Martha Stewart would be proud of you.

Old 08-03-09, 10:51 PM
Johnny
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

A 'cute' idea, but I doubt the type of filters used for home furnaces can arrest micron-sized particles similar to the ones that are emitted by automotive exhaust systems. If you examine the cabin filter, the accordion pattern is a lot tighter than the furnace filters. The time you'd spend modifying it would eat up a lot of time as well. However, if you want a rag-tag, hay-wired filter for your LS, then don't let us stop you by any means...
Old 08-05-09, 11:14 AM
Mike_TX
Lexus Test Driver

To be fair, the premium home A/C filters claim to remove particles down to 1.5 microns (which is of course one-millionth of a meter), which is efficient enough to trap pollen, smoke and other microscopic particulate matter.

The problem, though, is that by the time you fork over enough for one of these high-end filters, you've paid a lot more than the 20-buck ebay price for a purpose-built element ... so it's not a practical solution.

Interestingly, my "filter alarm" hasn't gone off yet, and I'm at over 22,000 miles. I changed the filter anyway, in the spirit of preventive medicine.

Old 08-05-09, 06:04 PM
Johnny
Pole Position

Granted. One thing though, furnace/air conditioning filter elements are an open "accordion", whereas the cabin filter is very much closed. Regardless, the time fiddling around with these things takes it to a whole other level, and what are we putting this on anyway?

On an ES, maybe, just maybe...
Old 08-05-09, 07:55 PM
tommyd3
Rookie

We are talking about an $80,000 car !!! Do you also use dino oil instead of synthetic to save a few bucks ???
Old 08-05-09, 10:06 PM
Johnny
Pole Position

Not meaning to denigrate him, but this gentleman is an ES owner who stumbled into the LS forum...

Not that there's anything wrong with that.
Old 08-07-09, 03:09 PM
Mike_TX
Lexus Test Driver

And I might add that just because you spent a lot on the car, it doesn't mean you're stupid to save a few bucks on something else. The man was trying to be creative, since $60 for a silly paper filter is nuts.

Geez, people get all uppity sometimes just because they've got a nice car.

Old 08-07-09, 03:16 PM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike_TX
Martha Stewart would be proud of you.

Hey Martha Stewart drives a MB and a Lexus, do you think she would fool around with a furnace filter?
Old 08-07-09, 03:25 PM
astrotoy
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For me, going from $60 and having to drive to and from the dealer (30 miles round trip) to $17 plus about 5 minutes of work was worth it. I don't think saving another $10 or so and the time and effort of trying to find a proper furnace filter and cutting it up and making sure it fits properly is worth it. The $43 saved (plus $5 in fuel) is the big savings. And it does reoccur every 20K miles or so.
Old 08-07-09, 09:51 PM
Johnny
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Mike_TX
And I might add that just because you spent a lot on the car, it doesn't mean you're stupid to save a few bucks on something else. The man was trying to be creative, since $60 for a silly paper filter is nuts.

Geez, people get all uppity sometimes just because they've got a nice car.

That would be fine, if his idea made any sense. The poster made an "off-the-cuff" suggestion that was devoid of substance. Try and accomplish what he proposes - it just can't be done. You'd have to take the cardboard frame apart, cut the furnace filter element to size, squeeze it into the frame (assuming the thickness would match the original), glue the end result back together, and jimmy the works back into the plastic holder before re-inserting it into the ducting.

Has he even done this? I highly doubt it. Do I even want to attempt this cockamany idea? Sorry, not me...

Perhaps when this poster has a little more than 5 posts under his belt, his credibility rating will go up...
Old 08-09-09, 04:42 PM
Bobwon
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by humanoid
There's a crapload on eBay.
Also on Amazon.
Old 08-09-09, 04:47 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

I do this for the GS and it works great... 5.00 at the Home Depot.
Old 08-10-09, 04:25 PM
Mike_TX
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Burnaby
That would be fine, if his idea made any sense. The poster made an "off-the-cuff" suggestion that was devoid of substance. Try and accomplish what he proposes - it just can't be done. You'd have to take the cardboard frame apart, cut the furnace filter element to size, squeeze it into the frame (assuming the thickness would match the original), glue the end result back together, and jimmy the works back into the plastic holder before re-inserting it into the ducting.

Has he even done this? I highly doubt it. Do I even want to attempt this cockamany idea? Sorry, not me...

Perhaps when this poster has a little more than 5 posts under his belt, his credibility rating will go up...
See post above ... apparently it can be done.

Don't get me wrong - I'm not doing this. But people get creative and sometimes come up with good ideas. I hate to slap them down just because we don't want to use their solutions. And after all, this is freakin' cabin air filter, not some critical part.

If these people want to cut up furnace filters, let them. And btw - there are some furnace filters out there that cost more than our silly cabin filters!