LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

2007/2008 Body Integrity Issues

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-09, 12:12 PM
JTS09
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007/2008 Body Integrity Issues

I always like to scan the Consumer Reports, Edwards, and the other mag's to read the latest reviews and ongoing ratings for the LS460.
Consumer Reports, while listing the LS460 consistently as a "Recommended Vehicle" and having named it their "Car of the Year" vehicle more than once, typically gives it great marks in every area but two. It gets bad marks for Body Integrity and Hardware. They never give any detail on why they have given black marks to the car in this area. Not Fit and Finish, but Body Integrity. Anyone have any data on why the car is knocked for what is typically a hallmark for Lexus? They consistently list all the other Lexus vehicles with high marks in this area. The 07 has a full dark circle, indicating poor/sub-standard marks for Body Integrity, and they gave a slight upgrade to the 08. The 09 is indicated as above average. To my knowledge, (and having consulted my local Dealers) there weren't any notable changes. ????????????
Old 07-21-09, 12:16 PM
habeeb89
Lexus Test Driver

I'm guessing this included paint and if it does, Lexus is known for it's soft paint which is prone to scratches and rock chips...
Old 07-21-09, 12:50 PM
Midwestuse
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Or the wind noise reported problems and the exhaust pipe discoloring on the back bumper problems were reported to a high enough level that it dinged the body integrity. If I had to guess there are probably certain problems/issues that get reported but don't exactly fit into a category that consumer reports tracks. Therefore they put it in the closet category in this case those two issues I've listed could have been put into the body integrity category. Just a theory on my part of course.
Old 07-21-09, 12:55 PM
jmcraney

Received 276 Likes on 208 Posts
Default Body Integrity Probably Refers To Wind Noise

Hi Jim,

If my recollection is correct, the initial review of the 07 LS460 by CR, a couple of years ago, used the words "hurricane like wind noise" to describe their "subjective" sensation of the problems with their test car.

Here is a quote from the Consumer Reports web site:

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/c...iews/overview/

Body integrity: Squeaks or rattles, seals and/or weather-stripping, air or water leaks, loose interior trim and moldings, wind noise.

Last edited by jmcraney; 07-21-09 at 06:01 PM.
Old 07-21-09, 04:32 PM
JTS09
Rookie

Default LS Body Integrity Issues

Hi Jeff,
Thanks for the link. Man, "Hurricane Force Wind Noise"! Kind of makes you want to run to the nearest Storm Shelter doesn't it!
The only curious thing here is that they upgraded the score for both the Body Integrity and Hardware categories, in 08, by half a black circle. They then went ahead to a full Red Dotted Circle(their highest "Above Standard" score) in 09. I'm told by several Dealer contacts that nothing in this category was changed between 07/08 or 09. Not the Paint Application/ Seals/ Trim/ Interior or Chassis Hardware, etc. Still a little perplexed.Hope the weather in Tx is cooperating. We're going thru a major heat wave here in SoCal. J.
Old 07-21-09, 09:51 PM
Johnny
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by habeeb89
I'm guessing this included paint and if it does, Lexus is known for it's soft paint which is prone to scratches and rock chips...
Do you have any data to support this claim? They all use the same suppliers and chemistry nowadays. The reason why the clear coats are soft is because they are water based - the same formulas legislated on the car manufacturers to comply with recycling objectives. Cars have to meet minimum "recyclability" levels and this includes the soft paints you speak of. Newer, self-healing paints are supposed to address this issue, and there is another thread that deals with this topic.

To me the true test of body integrity is examining the alignment of the body panels when the sun is low on the horizon. If you check to see the fit of the doors to the pillars, you'll notice the surfaces and the reflections they produce are almost mirror-like. There is little or no break in straight line reflections from panel to panel. That, to me anyway, is the true test of body integrity, and I haven't seen anything comparable from other competitors. You can't cannot beat the Japanese at this game - they are sticklers for detail. Not just at this level, but in most products they make - it is ingrained in their culture, but alas is mostly lacking in ours.

Of course there other areas that fall into the body integrity, as JMc has pointed out, but when attention to detail begins at my aforementioned area, the others usually follow close behind. I guess the "Pursuit of Perfection" is a fleeting objective, but I'd rather buy a car from a maker that is at least trying to stay on the course.