LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Sport vs Comfort and Height

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-09 | 01:17 PM
daryll40
Pole Position

Default Sport vs Comfort and Height

Can someone tell me what the SPORT versus COMFORT mode is? My 2007 doesn't have that. Also there is a height button also on the center console. What is THAT?
Old 08-21-09 | 01:36 PM
Midwestuse
Driver School Candidate

Sport versus comfort is only available with the air suspension package. That is the setting choices of the air suspension. I'm pretty certain that only the "L" long wheel base versions offered the air suspension packages.
Old 08-21-09 | 03:31 PM
RXSF

pretty self explanatory. Sport changes the suspension so that it 'should' handle better in the corners. less sway from the car, but should produce a harsher ride. Comfort is the opposite.

Height is to raise the car an inch or two so that your undercarriage doesnt hit anything, like a large speed bump
Old 08-21-09 | 05:28 PM
beun
Rookie

As a L owner I can add some personal experience. There is actually normal, sport and comfort. Personally I have it on the sport setting as is acts more like my previous 430 with sports suspension. Sport is stiffer and you feel small bumps more than with the normal setting, on the other hand it leans less in curves. Normal is probably like a regular 460 without the air suspension.

Comfort should have been called "boat" it really feels like an old fashioned '70 American barge floating across the road.
Old 08-21-09 | 05:40 PM
Johnny
Pole Position

Originally Posted by RXSF
Height is to raise the car an inch or two so that your undercarriage doesnt hit anything, like a large speed bump
I've measured it; more like three inches, which is also especially handy to get additional working clearance when changing your own oil. And, the height adjustment only has the two settings; nothing in between.

Most of the time I keep mine on the Comfort setting - keeps the wife happy. I'll use Sport when I anticipate cornering at higher than "normal" speed, or spirited driving maneuvers - the Power setting. The response is instantaneous.

Last edited by Johnny; 08-21-09 at 05:44 PM.
Old 08-21-09 | 06:55 PM
daryll40
Pole Position

The car I test drove was a 2009 LS460 (short wheel base) with AWD. It said that the air suspension was standard equipment on the Lexus sticker. Perhaps it is standard with AWD.
Old 08-21-09 | 08:03 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Midwestuse
Sport versus comfort is only available with the air suspension package. That is the setting choices of the air suspension. I'm pretty certain that only the "L" long wheel base versions offered the air suspension packages.
No longer true since they started offering the AWD for the LS. Air suspension is standard for all AWD models, "L" or not.
Old 08-21-09 | 08:41 PM
beun
Rookie

I just measured on mine how much the car goes up in the 'high' setting, it was only 5/8 of an inch.
Old 08-21-09 | 10:37 PM
Johnny
Pole Position

That doesn't sound right. First of all, the change in height must be checked on a level surface - laterally and front to rear. Because the system is auto-leveling, your car may not necessarily be in the lowest position when you take your measurement. Also, an unsymmetrical load in the car will cause the modulator to adjust the air bags to suit that condition. Check it again, and if all the above are met, then you should have a chat with your dealer. There have been some reported problems here with this system, although they had to do with a lateral system lock-up.
Old 08-22-09 | 06:04 AM
beun
Rookie

I had the car relatively level in the garage with noone in it and measured it at the front, I will check all around later.
Old 08-22-09 | 07:26 AM
Midwestuse
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Gojirra99
No longer true since they started offering the AWD for the LS. Air suspension is standard for all AWD models, "L" or not.
Yeah I was referring to his model year of 2007 but I probably should have made that point in my original post.
Old 08-22-09 | 08:33 PM
daryll40
Pole Position

I drove extensively today in both SPORT and COMFORT modes. I cannot tell the difference. MAYBE the sport mode is a LITTLE stiffer. But I really can't tell the difference.
Old 08-23-09 | 02:53 AM
Helmar
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by daryll40
... I cannot tell the difference ...
I notice quite a difference. In fact, when the button get jostled and it slips into a different mode, I can tell within the first few minutes of driving.

Maybe Maine is a bumpier state...

HBH
Old 08-23-09 | 04:09 AM
tromly
Pole Position

Originally Posted by beun
As a L owner I can add some personal experience. There is actually normal, sport and comfort. Personally I have it on the sport setting as is acts more like my previous 430 with sports suspension. Sport is stiffer and you feel small bumps more than with the normal setting, on the other hand it leans less in curves. Normal is probably like a regular 460 without the air suspension.

Comfort should have been called "boat" it really feels like an old fashioned '70 American barge floating across the road.
+1 beun, comfort reminds me of driving a Roadmaster Buick, just floating down the road with no sense of "driving" the car
Old 08-23-09 | 06:47 AM
Helmar
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by tromly
... no sense of "driving" the car ...
While true, I think it's great that Lexus gives each driver (with air suspension) to select what they like, when they want it.

Too bad they didn't do that with locking out nav functionality.

HBH

Quick Reply: Sport vs Comfort and Height