LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Looking for a new LS460L

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-09, 07:31 AM
exBMWowner
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by derricklee
Every suggests 2010. Is that any website link i can check and get more detail about 2010 LS? Thanks for all your help.
So far, all of the information that has been posted on this forum for the 2010 LS has been unofficial. Lexus has not formally announced the car to the public yet, although the dealers are starting to get a trickle of information about it.

While the changes to the 2010 may be subtle, the resale value of a 2010 down the road is likely to be 15% higher than a 2009. Right now we know you can buy a 2009 for right around the dealer's invoice price, so the question is, how much above invoice will the dealers be able to get for a 2010. My guess is that it will be a very small amount, since there are not that many people lining up these days to buy $70-80K cars. Therefore, you may find that you will only have to pay $1000-$2000 more for the 2010 than the 2009, but if you go to resell it in 3 years, you may find the 2009 to be worth easily $8K-$10K less. So, it clearly would be a bad deal financially to buy a 2009 at this point in the year. Even without any changes to the car, this would be a bad deal. However, given that there are some nice changes coming in 2010, it makes the spread in value between the two even greater. If you have to buy a car now, do whatever you think is best. However, you're getting advice from some highly knowledgeable people in this forum, some of whom are in a similar situation to yourself (including me), and would never buy a 2009 LS at this point in time.
Old 08-26-09, 11:45 AM
miniz
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by derricklee
Every suggests 2010. Is that any website link i can check and get more detail about 2010 LS? Thanks for all your help.
Check out the thread posted on here today. There are pictures, specs and update lists galore.
Old 08-26-09, 05:28 PM
astrotoy
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Even in this depressed market, it still is supply and demand. If you want to be the first one in the neighborhood with a 2010, then you will almost certainly pay a price for that. If you can wait a few month, I don't think the economy is going to skyrocket - I'm guessing you can get a better deal than getting the first shipment. Also if there are problems with any of the changes, then waiting a few months or better yet toward the end of the model year should take care of them. Shouldn't be like the start of the '07's which were completely new models.
Old 08-26-09, 05:49 PM
daryll40
Pole Position

Received 420 Likes on 286 Posts

Astrotoy, I am getting offtopic so I'll apologize in advance. I am wondering what you did to keep your 1991 LS running for 350K? Now THAT is an accomplishment!
Old 08-27-09, 02:53 PM
astrotoy
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by daryll40
Astrotoy, I am getting offtopic so I'll apologize in advance. I am wondering what you did to keep your 1991 LS running for 350K? Now THAT is an accomplishment!
Thanks. Not sure what the secret was. My LS400 had the fancy sound system - the Nakamichi, and air suspension. For the first 100K, I religiously did the minor service at the dealer every 3750 miles. After that, I started a new job and commuted about 2K miles per month - freeway driving. So I cut down the oil changes to every 7500 miles, and went to a cheap oil change for that. I am fortunate to live in the SF Bay area where we don't have salt on the roads. I didn't run the car hard, no big accelerations, but I did drive 80 mph pretty consistently. Finally, I can tell you what goes wrong with a LS400 with a lot of miles. The LCD's in the console went out - so one could barely read them. The driver's seat wouldn't recline evenly - that is one side tilted back more than the other. The leather was wearing off the steering wheel. And finally, the odometer went out at about 260K miles and had to be replaced. However, the car ran quietly and smoothly all those 16 + years. At the end, the engine was starting to give me real problems and I decided that I got my money's worth out of it. My father-in-law (who would never buy anything Japanese - after they invaded China back in the 30's) told me to get another Lexus.

I'm hoping my LS460L lasts as many years, but as a retiree, I only drive about 12K miles per year. By that time I may not be able to drive and I can hire a chauffer and finally sit in the back seat and put my feet up and get my massage!
Old 08-27-09, 03:49 PM
Nospinzone

Received 419 Likes on 323 Posts

If you need the car in two weeks, there's no chance you will be able to get a 2010.

As Astrotoy said, its all supply and demand ....... pure and simple.
Old 08-27-09, 04:17 PM
daryll40
Pole Position

Received 420 Likes on 286 Posts

Astrotoy, KUDOS for keeping ANY car that long. I hope you live long enough that you can enjoy being chauffeured around by your 23 year old mistress!
Old 08-31-09, 06:51 PM
redlight30
Driver

There is alot of good info in this thread so i thought I'd ask what people know or have heard about the 2009's price going up for these last shipments. I was told tonight that the invoice was supposedly $1,400 more now on the last shipments of 09's than before. I was trying to hammer out a deal for an 09' in exactly the color I wanted with equip (nav/ML) and they were telling me the above.

Basically he said i was working off the old invoice and there was no way he could give me the car for what I wanted due to this $1,400. Is this $1,400 bunk or legit?

Anyways, their offer not counting trade was $66,100 for the AWD stickered at $75,4xx. The trade is where we are having some discussions. anyone have any thoughts

redlight
Old 08-31-09, 09:11 PM
randomwalk
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

^^^^ I think it's bullll...on this economy, they willbend over to make the sell.
Old 09-01-09, 05:11 AM
exBMWowner
Driver

Have you asked him to show you his invoice to confirm the numbers he is claiming?
Old 09-01-09, 05:22 AM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by astrotoy
Thanks. Not sure what the secret was. My LS400 had the fancy sound system - the Nakamichi, and air suspension. For the first 100K, I religiously did the minor service at the dealer every 3750 miles. After that, I started a new job and commuted about 2K miles per month - freeway driving. So I cut down the oil changes to every 7500 miles, and went to a cheap oil change for that. I am fortunate to live in the SF Bay area where we don't have salt on the roads. I didn't run the car hard, no big accelerations, but I did drive 80 mph pretty consistently. Finally, I can tell you what goes wrong with a LS400 with a lot of miles. The LCD's in the console went out - so one could barely read them. The driver's seat wouldn't recline evenly - that is one side tilted back more than the other. The leather was wearing off the steering wheel. And finally, the odometer went out at about 260K miles and had to be replaced. However, the car ran quietly and smoothly all those 16 + years. At the end, the engine was starting to give me real problems and I decided that I got my money's worth out of it. My father-in-law (who would never buy anything Japanese - after they invaded China back in the 30's) told me to get another Lexus.

I'm hoping my LS460L lasts as many years, but as a retiree, I only drive about 12K miles per year. By that time I may not be able to drive and I can hire a chauffer and finally sit in the back seat and put my feet up and get my massage!
Great story, you keep a car like I do and don't drive it hard like some CL members. 350k is remarkable
Old 09-03-09, 03:59 AM
redlight30
Driver

Originally Posted by exBMWowner
Have you asked him to show you his invoice to confirm the numbers he is claiming?
Yes he finally showed me. But alas as we agreed on a deal the other day, yesterday he called and backed out saying he could not get the car suddenly.
No other explanation at all. My local dealer in my town now will be the last one I go to when the 2010's come out. I cannot believe in this economy they would act like they people are buying these cars all day long and twice on Sunday. Ah well there are several other dealers who I am sure want my business.
Old 09-03-09, 07:44 AM
scorpio74
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Oh well, their loss. The 2009 ls460L base starts at $75,000 and with nav/ML system to add, it runs you up to almost $82,000. How can you get brand new 09 for $65,000???
Old 09-03-09, 02:26 PM
redlight30
Driver

Originally Posted by scorpio74
Oh well, their loss. The 2009 ls460L base starts at $75,000 and with nav/ML system to add, it runs you up to almost $82,000. How can you get brand new 09 for $65,000???
It was a regular wheel base not the long. I think I was gettng it for below invoice and then full trade value which i think someone finally said woa how are we making anything here.
Old 09-03-09, 06:53 PM
scorpio74
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by redlight30
It was a regular wheel base not the long. I think I was gettng it for below invoice and then full trade value which i think someone finally said woa how are we making anything here.
Thanks redlight for clearing that up. I'm currently looking for 2007 ls460L. Saw one with 20k mi. at lex deal listed at $61k. I started the thread "Need help!...."

Quick Reply: Looking for a new LS460L