LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

What a week

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-09, 12:12 PM
JAXLS460
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry What a week

Well as you all know I just got my LS460 and put a set of 22" Auto Couture Latives that I bought from a CL member on ebay. Well last week one of the tires completed separated while I was driving. So I took it to TK Performance and had them breakdown the wheels and tires and come to find out the previous owner tried to fix some leaks on the wheels, which was not mentioned at all in the auction. There was sealant all over the place in the wheels and one wheel was even missing one of the bolts to the face of the wheel. So basically as I was driving air was leaking from the wheels.
Old 09-10-09, 02:40 PM
Johnny
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Sealant? How tacky can that be? I wonder if you can have any recourse (like sending them back to the seller) from Ebay, as this is a clear case of misrepresentation, imho.
Old 09-10-09, 05:01 PM
Nospinzone

Received 423 Likes on 326 Posts

How did you pay for them? If you used a credt card through PayPal, first file a complaint wth PayPal. Your situation is known as a SNAD (significantly not as described) to them. Look at the auction and see if the seller was covered under PayPal's buyer protection program.

Most likely you will prevail, but if you don't, file through your credit card company.
Old 09-10-09, 05:06 PM
elsmooth
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

It sounds like the rim may been bent which caused the wheel not to hold air. Typically what happens is the wheel shop will reseal a bead of silicone where the two halves join. Some shops do a better job then others. I agree with the other CL's file a complaint.
Old 09-10-09, 06:26 PM
JAXLS460
Pole Position

Well here is what the wheel and tire looks like after driving on it with air leaking out.
Old 09-11-09, 12:46 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

wow that's very messed up sorry to hear that

did you try to resolve the issue with the seller? maybe time for a feedback
Old 09-11-09, 06:23 AM
ls460love
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's really disappointing! I am so scared of acquiring anything mission critical via ebay. Did you chaps watch the 60 mins special a while back about how ebay has an enormous amount of vehicles sold on it that are technically totaled, but caught and repaired before the VIN is attached to the accident? This still takes place today but ebay has even stronger verbiage making it exempt from liability. Coincidentally, the vehicle on the show was a newer LS430 (remember this was a few years ago) that the gentleman bought for a very good value. He noticed that the vehicle, after multiple alignments and investigation, wouldn't track straight. As it turned out, the vehicle was t-boned and the frame was straightened/bodywork performed on a total loss vehicle.

I have a friend who had a similar story to F LEX IN regarding wheels. Although not as hardcore and crazy, the wheels were definitely repaired and re-sprayed. You can never get the original strength though, so they were soft as butter and self destructed over a period of months. It seemed even the slightest undulation in the road would flat spot them.
Old 09-11-09, 06:27 AM
jmcraney

Received 271 Likes on 205 Posts

What was your Tire-Pressure-Monitoring-System doing during all this?
Old 09-11-09, 06:45 AM
JAXLS460
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jmcraney
What was your Tire-Pressure-Monitoring-System doing during all this?
No read out. Unlike other vehicle with TPMS where you can can put wheels and tires with TPMS on same make and it will give a read out. With Lexus the TPMS needs the serial number for each sensor to be registered to the car.
Old 09-11-09, 02:49 PM
Nospinzone

Well, apparently if you paid cash, you are SOL on this one.
Old 09-11-09, 03:14 PM
LIMS407
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

damn sorry to hear..just remembered seein ur car not too long ago from fl section...at least its just one rim tho..
Old 09-11-09, 05:37 PM
elsmooth
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If you decide to get another set, please obtain a spare set of TPMS record the serial number before you install them and have the dealer program them to the car. The LS can have two sets of sensors. You can get adapters for the weeks to accommodate the sensors.
Old 09-12-09, 07:28 AM
ls460love
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Personally, I'd be concerned about the remaining wheels... I suppose you'll have the tires removed and inspected before continuing to ride on them?
Old 09-12-09, 12:50 PM
JAXLS460
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ls460love
Personally, I'd be concerned about the remaining wheels... I suppose you'll have the tires removed and inspected before continuing to ride on them?
Yeah all 4 wheels and tires have been broken down and its bad. Not one wheel has nothing wrong with it. One wheel was even full of fix a flat. All I know is never buy high end wheels on ebay, but what makes it worse its a member on this forum. I'm waiting to see if he makes the situation right before saying any names.
Old 09-12-09, 02:09 PM
Nospinzone

There's nothing wrong with buying high end wheels or anything else on eBay.

HOWEVER, you do have to know your buyer (check feedback, DSR's, and see if item is covered under Buyer Protection) and you have to double protect yourself by paying through PayPal with your credit card. If you had done that you would have gotten all your money back.

Oh well, lesson learned.

Quick Reply: What a week