LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

ok.. who got the NAV v9.1 for the LS? Price? "I Agree"?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-09, 04:16 PM
joedaddy1
Racer

Received 196 Likes on 153 Posts
Talking ok.. who got the NAV v9.1 for the LS? Price? "I Agree"?

let's hear the details...
Old 09-16-09, 04:23 PM
Johnny
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

"I Agree" was taken out in '08, and replaced with a five second warning.

My guess is updates will probably cost $250 or so...

I find updates don't always hit the hot buttons.
Old 09-16-09, 07:19 PM
elsmooth
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Yep and I love it
Old 09-16-09, 07:50 PM
Mike_TX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Have to agree with Burnaby. The maps are so out-of-date from the get-go that I figure I can live with them for the 3 years of my leases. After all, even the updates are out-of-date.

Old 09-17-09, 04:38 AM
JAXLS460
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by elsmooth
Yep and I love it
Any differences?
Old 09-17-09, 04:55 PM
uae
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i dont even know what version i have in my car...

What exactly is the NAV package ? what does it include ?

Is it an update for the software only or software & map together.

Either way, is it possible to buy the software from USA or anywhere and install it on my car ? What Equipment will i need inorder to install ? Intelligent Portable Computer ?
Old 09-17-09, 05:38 PM
Johnny
Pole Position

Originally Posted by uae
i dont even know what version i have in my car...

What exactly is the NAV package ? what does it include ?

Is it an update for the software only or software & map together.

Either way, is it possible to buy the software from USA or anywhere and install it on my car ? What Equipment will i need inorder to install ? Intelligent Portable Computer ?
OK, first of all, I recall UAE cars have a DVD based Navi, unlike the North American edition which is HDD based. Unless you have a North American origin car, then updating the Navi would be a different procedure altogether - that is, you would need to purchase the DVD.

North American cars are updated using software that is downloaded by the dealer from Lexus, "after obtaining a USB key on behalf of the client from Lexus". Also, the North American Navi is loaded with maps & POIs for the 48 contiguous States, Alaska & Hawaii, as well as Canada. Other areas that are updated via HDD would likewise have their own regional maps. In your case (assuming you have a Gulf car), your DVD update would only cover your geographical area - Lexus can tell you what countries are supported.

A lot of Lexus cars for many parts of the World like Asia for instance, are sold on the gray market, to avoid paying ridiculous import duties. Buyers use a broker who comes to Canada (or wherever), and orders LS cars from dealers here, activate the warranty, and purchase them as used (read demos), which attract little if any duties in their homeland. So in summary, if your car was purchased from the US mainland, then you may be SOL, as the data may only be available via USB, and be completely useless as they would not cover your region.

I hope that helps...
Old 09-17-09, 08:46 PM
JFNash
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Burnaby
OK, first of all, I recall UAE cars have a DVD based Navi, unlike the North American edition which is HDD based. Unless you have a North American origin car, then updating the Navi would be a different procedure altogether - that is, you would need to purchase the DVD.

North American cars are updated using software that is downloaded by the dealer from Lexus, "after obtaining a USB key on behalf of the client from Lexus". Also, the North American Navi is loaded with maps & POIs for the 48 contiguous States, Alaska & Hawaii, as well as Canada. Other areas that are updated via HDD would likewise have their own regional maps. In your case (assuming you have a Gulf car), your DVD update would only cover your geographical area - Lexus can tell you what countries are supported.

A lot of Lexus cars for many parts of the World like Asia for instance, are sold on the gray market, to avoid paying ridiculous import duties. Buyers use a broker who comes to Canada (or wherever), and orders LS cars from dealers here, activate the warranty, and purchase them as used (read demos), which attract little if any duties in their homeland. So in summary, if your car was purchased from the US mainland, then you may be SOL, as the data may only be available via USB, and be completely useless as they would not cover your region.

I hope that helps...
My Lex is American and I live in the gulf region. I can put my hands on a Gulf Navi DVD. What are my chances getting it to work on mine?

A friend of mine told me that it could be done for about $1,100 which is quite expensive considering the available technology nowadays.

Thanks for the info Burnaby.
Old 09-17-09, 11:42 PM
uae
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanx for the clarification,

your right about the DVD based Navi, We have a DVD Navigation Map and its located inside the glovebox. So ive i get a new Navigation Map this means my navi and the " I Agree " Button will be removed ?

Correct me if im wrong:
Its not making sense for me, When i update Dvd navigation the only thing that will change is the map with new areas. Not the " I agree " , nothing more or less.

Originally Posted by Burnaby

I hope that helps...
Old 09-18-09, 01:24 AM
Johnny
Pole Position

Check the update version number and compare it to the one on newer cars to see if the "I Agree" change was made. I don't know if the "I Agree" change was limited to North America, but that is where the loudest protest occurred, and Lexus is known to modify some of its policies in different regions.

As for your second question, the maps & POIs were updated in conjunction with the "I Agree" change. I think the update version was 7.1, but that may be different in the DVD based Gulf cars. Ask your dealer as their information may be more reliable than our discussion here. Good Luck!
Old 09-18-09, 08:36 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by uae
Thanx for the clarification,

your right about the DVD based Navi, We have a DVD Navigation Map and its located inside the glovebox. So ive i get a new Navigation Map this means my navi and the " I Agree " Button will be removed ?

Correct me if im wrong:
Its not making sense for me, When i update Dvd navigation the only thing that will change is the map with new areas. Not the " I agree " , nothing more or less.
incorrect, new dvd can also contain firmware updates which controls the i agree button

that's the case in the US. whether they take it out or not in UAE that's another story
Old 09-18-09, 01:27 PM
astrotoy
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just got a flyer from my local (Northern Cal) Lexus dealer with service specials, including the Nav 9.1 update, selling for $242 installed. It says available September 2009. The flyer expires October 31, 2009.
Old 09-18-09, 02:24 PM
Johnny
Pole Position

Originally Posted by JFNash
My Lex is American and I live in the gulf region. I can put my hands on a Gulf Navi DVD. What are my chances getting it to work on mine?

A friend of mine told me that it could be done for about $1,100 which is quite expensive considering the available technology nowadays.

Thanks for the info Burnaby.
If yours is American, then the update is done through the "custom" USB port found under the steering wheel. Rigging that port to accommodate a DVD drive, or porting the audio system drive to the Navi system would be quite a challenge, although anything is possible, and that $1100 would certainly reflect that cost. If you are planning further updates in the future, then it may be worth the money. In your region that may be your only option to update.
Old 10-01-09, 10:15 PM
Johnny
Pole Position

Disks are useless in North America for the LS460/600. Updates are done via the USB port located under the dash to the right of the steering stalk. As mentioned before, the dealer purchases a USB key from Lexus which unlocks the Navi files that dealers download from Lexus. This software key can only be used once, and they turn around and charge the owner, or in some cases have been known to do this as a courtesy either from themselves or Lexus direct. Yes there are DVDs available on Ebay etc..., but these are for cars that use a DVD based Navi, such as other Lexus models. As mentioned previously, some other countries use this DVD based Navi system for the LS460/600.
Old 10-06-09, 06:12 AM
slickc6
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Astrotoy. What dealer does this for $242?

Last edited by slickc6; 10-06-09 at 06:15 AM.

Quick Reply: ok.. who got the NAV v9.1 for the LS? Price? "I Agree"?