LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Tire tracking noise

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-09, 07:58 AM
MythBuster
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tire tracking noise

Hi

It has been a long while since my last visit

My ls-460 is very quite, I mean outside noise, and engine noise, wind noise

But the tire tracking noise is very bothering. After 50,000km I changed a brand new set of tires and noticed excellent improvment.

But after having those tires for 12000km (still in excellent condition) the noise level of the tire tracking start coming up significantly.

My 2 brothers have VW Tawareq, and Grand cherokee and both have very much similar noise but slightly lower than my lexus.

Any solution any thoughts

Thanks in advance
Old 09-29-09, 12:50 PM
Nospinzone

Received 423 Likes on 326 Posts

If you go to tirerack.com and look up the tires that fit your car, you can then look at the survey results and see which tire gets the highest marks for "Noise Comfort". This isn't perfect, but at least it could give you an idea of which tires to shop for next time, and which to avoid.

See how you previous and current tires are rated for starters. Let us know how they come out.
Old 09-29-09, 01:33 PM
MythBuster
Driver

Originally Posted by Nospinzone
If you go to tirerack.com and look up the tires that fit your car, you can then look at the survey results and see which tire gets the highest marks for "Noise Comfort". This isn't perfect, but at least it could give you an idea of which tires to shop for next time, and which to avoid.

See how you previous and current tires are rated for starters. Let us know how they come out.
Many thanks

I will

But have others complained from the same issue, or I am too sensitive??

I will feel better if others confirm that indeed it is tracking noise and not some kind of wind turbulance in the hub and wheel.

My best regards
Old 09-29-09, 01:55 PM
jmcraney

Received 273 Likes on 207 Posts

Here are a couple of post from the "Wind Noise Fix" thread.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/3525700-post98.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/3543756-post130.html

I know this is a stretch. But if all else fails you might look into this.
Old 09-29-09, 01:56 PM
Johnny
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

I don't know if your tires are All Season tires, but they are usually noisier than regular summer tires, especially if you switch them from one side of the car to the other when you rotate them. The type of roads they run on can affect the noise, and of course the wear as well. Inflation is another aggravating factor, as well as construction as mentioned above.

Last edited by Johnny; 09-30-09 at 07:04 PM.
Old 09-29-09, 02:24 PM
MythBuster
Driver

That survey site is very useful

I used Max performance summer. It seems the noise level is higer in Summer which does not make sense.

My original tires

Dunlop SP sport maxx
Noise level 7.8
Ride comfort 8.1

First replacement tires
Michelin Pilot
Noise level 8.5
Ride comfort 8.6

I think since the word comfort is used, the higher the number the better.

The original tires have way less ride comfort. Actualy that is why I replaced them while they still have some tread.

Noise wise I think the michelin are noisier which does not match the survey.

The original tires have superior wear reistance I tried to abuse them just to have execuse to change them but they were still OK when I decided to replace them

It looks I have to chose between noise and ride comfort. I prefer low noise, It looks I have another set of tires to abuse.
Old 09-29-09, 02:29 PM
MythBuster
Driver

Originally Posted by jmcraney
Here are a couple of post from the "Wind Noise Fix" thread.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/3525700-post98.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/3543756-post130.html

I know this is a stretch. But if all else fails you might look into this.
wind noise from the side is excellent.

This tracking noise I am talking about is at it's peak when I am just rolling at 30 km/h. because no wind noise at this very low speed. When I start speeding the wind noise start to cover the tracking noise, but you can still hear the tracking noise if you give it attention, otherwise you will not distinguish the difference.

Many thanks
Old 09-29-09, 02:39 PM
MythBuster
Driver

Originally Posted by Burnaby
I don't know if your tires are All Season tires, but they are usually noisier than regular summer tires, especially if you switch them from one side of the car to the other when you rotate them. They type of roads they run on can affect the noise, and of course the wear as well. Inflation is another aggravating factor, as well as construction as mentioned above.
Very good

I always inflate my tires in all my previous cars on the high side of the range. Always more than the manufacturer recommendations. In this case I go 45 to 50 PSI. I noticed tires live longer when I do that.
Regarding the road surface finish I think this plays a major factor in this type of noise and I can see it almost disappear when the road surface finish is good, but the strange thing why other cars don’t produce the same noise in bad roads.

Regarding all seasons, I am not sure what is the differance. I will read.

Many thanks.
Old 10-10-09, 10:23 AM
AceVA
Driver

I'm curious if you decided on a tire. Mine has the OEM Dunlops, which I find to be a terrible tire - as is the case with all Good Year products I've experienced over the years. On smooth, freshly paved roads it's unbelievably quiet. On rougher textured roads, there's a resonating humming noise that drives me mad.

Just curious if you ended up going with the Michelins or if you found a better alternative. As I don't drive it in the winter, I'm unconcerned with all season, personally. Thanks!
Old 10-10-09, 05:27 PM
LA Wheel
Driver

45-50 PSI is waaaaayyy too high on an LS IMO
Old 10-10-09, 06:40 PM
Johnny
Pole Position

Originally Posted by AceVA
I'm curious if you decided on a tire. Mine has the OEM Dunlops, which I find to be a terrible tire - as is the case with all Good Year products I've experienced over the years. On smooth, freshly paved roads it's unbelievably quiet. On rougher textured roads, there's a resonating humming noise that drives me mad.

Just curious if you ended up going with the Michelins or if you found a better alternative. As I don't drive it in the winter, I'm unconcerned with all season, personally. Thanks!
The OEM Dunlops are probably the worst application for this car, with the Bridgestone Turanzas a close second, according to many reports from LS owners on this board. Both of these run hard on US roads, but are incidentally not as bad in Canada, where most road surfaces are softer asphalt based anyway. Concrete roads are much more punishing on a tire than asphalt. Left to right tire rotations reverse the tread direction and making them noisier still.

A number of LS owners have also been successful in persuading Lexus to upgrade the OEM tires with higher quality Michelin Sport or Bridgestone equivalents like Serenity at no cost, so this is an option worthy of consideration.
Old 10-11-09, 03:36 PM
elsmooth
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Burnaby, what brand tires are you running?
Old 10-12-09, 12:54 AM
Johnny
Pole Position

Stock 19" Bridgestone Turanza EL42s. They are marginally better than the 460's 18" tires (lower profile), but wearing fast on the corners. I look forward to Michelins when I replace them sometime next year. I rotate my own tires (all 5), and they have become noisier because of the right to left change in the sequence, but are still tolerable on asphalt.
Old 10-12-09, 03:13 PM
Car Nut
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I rotate my tires every spring when the winter tires come off. I use the spare in the rotation, but keep them to the same side and do not mix left and right. If I remember correctly, Lexus recommends rotating tires on the same side and not across. I still have the OEM Bridgestone Turanzas and have not noticed them to be noisier over the years.
Old 10-12-09, 04:24 PM
elsmooth
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks Burnaby, I am looking to upgrade to Michelin's as well.

Quick Reply: Tire tracking noise