LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Good time to buy 07' LS460 or wait after 09'?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-09, 12:23 PM
LXTASY
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Maybe a ES instead?

Something about the GS that does not do it for me. I actually like the looks of the new 2010 ES front end. And since the price of a 2007 LS460 is in the neighborhood of a 2010 ES, I'm thinking that may be a option. I need to go and actually see the ES and test drive before deciding. But, I sure love everything about the LS460............except the wind noise possibility.
Old 11-05-09, 02:23 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

imho you can't even compare the es with the ls. one is entry level luxury, one is full luxury. size big difference. the ls is also far quieter than the es too, no match. the ls has more comfortable seats and better audio (considering ML), larger nav screen, etc... it's just much better imho

if you worry that much about wind noise, there is a fix in the thread already that most people are happy with, plus you can always test drive the car extensively between buying to make sure there is no noise. it's a used car already so imho it's unlikely there is no noise now and it come up after you buy it
Old 11-05-09, 06:02 PM
TNLS600hL
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with rominl, you can't compare the es. I own the 600h and when it was in for service i had to drive an es. wow i can assure you that the noise level way exceeds the tiny wind noise in the LS. and if i was you LXTASY i'd not doubt go for the LS. just compare what kinda cars you can get for that price range brand new and you will see the kind of value you would get with the LS. the ES is a good car but i will not spend nearly 40 something thousand for it, in the long run the LS still looks and outperform ES any day
Old 11-05-09, 10:40 PM
usermel
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by TNLS600hL
I agree with rominl, you can't compare the es. I own the 600h and when it was in for service i had to drive an es. wow i can assure you that the noise level way exceeds the tiny wind noise in the LS. and if i was you LXTASY i'd not doubt go for the LS. just compare what kinda cars you can get for that price range brand new and you will see the kind of value you would get with the LS. the ES is a good car but i will not spend nearly 40 something thousand for it, in the long run the LS still looks and outperform ES any day
Hey Nick, this member TNLS600hL has a great point. Especilly when you take in to account the cost issue. The ES is a really great ride but, $40,000 for a ES new compared with a used LS that cost a tad more is certainly worth it(The used LS that is) to me as well. The build ride and quiet of the LS is better as I drove a new ES and couldnt wait to get back to my LS430, so yoou know a LS460 would really be missed!!! The ES isn't a bad buy at all, get it if thats what you want. All the best!!! L.G.N.M
Old 11-15-09, 09:52 AM
Maurice
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For example, my lease is up in March. The residual is $42,225.
The car will have about 21,000 miles. 460 SL - SW - ML/Self Park - Comfort Plus (list was $72,802. And the well documented Wind Noise, still there after TSB fix.

I plan to return the car to Lexus. Based on what I see the car is not worth the residual value.
Old 11-15-09, 11:20 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

either way the prices sound amazing for such a high quality car
Old 11-16-09, 07:33 AM
LXTASY
Driver

Default LS460 vs ES350

Well, I came to my senses, I want to be back in a LS. However, the entire wind noise issue is just not something I wish to engage, meaning: I do not want to work at finding one that records indicate it never had it - but the current owner just doesnt realize it (thinks its normal) - or that it will develop the noise, or one that does have it and needs to be fixed by Lexus (yeah, right) or fixing by the jmcraney method (most probable). I loved my 2001 LS430 and regret selling it, so I am going to go back to the body style and car that I liked, but "upgrade" to a 2004-2006 and look for a Custom Luxury or Ultra Luxury. So let it be written, so let it be done........final decision.
Old 11-22-09, 01:17 PM
cmasten
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I spent a fair amount of time this weekend with my salesperson at Crown in Ontario, CA. I am looking at upgrading my GS300 to an 07 LS460.

He was telling me that right now LS sales, new or used are in the tank, they are just not moving in this economy and they have to move their inventory, he had an 07 460L in excellent shape with many options that they tried to sell for 54k for over a month go to auction, it didnt sell so its back on the lot for 47k... he said that almost any of the 2007 460s, loaded I could get for under 40k including CPO. This is a good price point for this vehicle, if its in excellent shape and has all its services up to date and no wind noise issues. I would consider it, as the LS is just a complete league ahead of the 06 GS300 I currently own.
Old 11-22-09, 01:27 PM
cmasten
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LXTASY
Well, I came to my senses, I want to be back in a LS. However, the entire wind noise issue is just not something I wish to engage, meaning: I do not want to work at finding one that records indicate it never had it - but the current owner just doesnt realize it (thinks its normal) - or that it will develop the noise, or one that does have it and needs to be fixed by Lexus (yeah, right) or fixing by the jmcraney method (most probable). I loved my 2001 LS430 and regret selling it, so I am going to go back to the body style and car that I liked, but "upgrade" to a 2004-2006 and look for a Custom Luxury or Ultra Luxury. So let it be written, so let it be done........final decision.
my local dealer has an 05 ultra LS430 with just 41k miles and in absolutely perfect shape for just 30k, seems like LS of any flavor is a great deal at the moment. I wonder how this will track as we get closer to the new year, with the 2010s already out and the dealers needing to move new and used inventory. Typically what is the best month to buy a CPO Lexus?
Old 11-22-09, 03:47 PM
VQT
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

So the LS 460 L is back on the lot at Crown Lexus in Ontario for $47K and we can get almost any 460s for under $47K? How about that 460 L, can we get it for under $40K? Did he says how much they are willing to let that 460 L go?

Originally Posted by cmasten
I spent a fair amount of time this weekend with my salesperson at Crown in Ontario, CA. I am looking at upgrading my GS300 to an 07 LS460.

He was telling me that right now LS sales, new or used are in the tank, they are just not moving in this economy and they have to move their inventory, he had an 07 460L in excellent shape with many options that they tried to sell for 54k for over a month go to auction, it didnt sell so its back on the lot for 47k... he said that almost any of the 2007 460s, loaded I could get for under 40k including CPO. This is a good price point for this vehicle, if its in excellent shape and has all its services up to date and no wind noise issues. I would consider it, as the LS is just a complete league ahead of the 06 GS300 I currently own.
Old 11-22-09, 05:55 PM
cmasten
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by VQT
So the LS 460 L is back on the lot at Crown Lexus in Ontario for $47K and we can get almost any 460s for under $47K? How about that 460 L, can we get it for under $40K? Did he says how much they are willing to let that 460 L go?
7k delta between the L and NonL. The L is 47k on the lot, and the NonL's from 2007 can be had for under 40k.

I dont remember everything the L had but as I recall it was everything minus the exec package in back. The NonL 460s had various packages, some more miles 40-60k miles with ML, some under 40k miles w/o ML.
Old 11-22-09, 06:55 PM
VQT
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks cmasten,

I may take a look at the L later this week when I drive to CA. Do you remember it has the window shade?

Originally Posted by cmasten
7k delta between the L and NonL. The L is 47k on the lot, and the NonL's from 2007 can be had for under 40k.

I dont remember everything the L had but as I recall it was everything minus the exec package in back. The NonL 460s had various packages, some more miles 40-60k miles with ML, some under 40k miles w/o ML.
Old 12-02-09, 03:05 PM
Gunnut
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmyford1
Cars are a depreciating asset and the 07 LS460 will sell for less in January than it will today. It will sell for even less next June! No two pre-owned cars are alike. If you find one that has what you're looking for in terms of mileage, color and equipment go for it. If you're not paying cash, Lexus is currently offering reduced interest rates on CPO's.
I see vehicles as a increasing liability rather than as any type of asset even though it does have book value.
Old 12-10-09, 09:51 PM
cmasten
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by VQT
Thanks cmasten,

I may take a look at the L later this week when I drive to CA. Do you remember it has the window shade?

just fyi this 460L ended up selling for a final price of just 43k...
Old 12-12-09, 08:31 PM
LXTASY
Driver

Default LS430 vs LS460 decision

Everytime I go to look at a 2004-2006 LS430 I am drawn back to a LS460. The LS430 always looks so dated after I get into the LS460. I think I will have to eat my words and now get the LS460. I have kept a close eye on prices and have visited dealerships in Houston, San Antonio and Dallas area. I do not see any internet, specials or anything close to prices "in the low 40's" for a LS460. I'm sure there is for some car which has multiple owners, paint work, a disclosure, etc, that is priced like that, but I do not see any in Texas. Seems that a LS460 with Nav, Mark, Comfort Plus is asking around $47.4 to $49.9 . I do not see them knocking $5K off this pricing, or am I crazy, and they will? Yes, I know I can ask for anything, but what is realistic. Seems like most of the cars for sale in Texas are lease returns from California, so I suspect that they are being turned in at record rate and California dealers can't, or don't want them. I guess Texas dealers are getting them cheap and the market here is better than California. I know some of you are in the Dallas area, what do you think they will let these cars go for? I'm going to drive up to Dallas and check it out next week.

Quick Reply: Good time to buy 07' LS460 or wait after 09'?