LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

LS in the hospital!

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-09, 12:19 PM
Mike_TX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

FWIW, my service rep just called and said they expect the part to be in on Wednesday (day after tomorrow), and if it arrives as expected, the car should be ready Thursday.

We'll see!

Old 11-09-09, 01:18 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike_TX
FWIW, my service rep just called and said they expect the part to be in on Wednesday (day after tomorrow), and if it arrives as expected, the car should be ready Thursday.

We'll see!

!!!!!!!!!!!! best of luck mike!!!!!
Old 11-21-09, 11:48 AM
Mike_TX
Lexus Test Driver

Default Update

Okay, it's Saturday, Day 17 of my little adventure, and I figured I'd give you an update:

My service rep called yesterday (Fri.) morning. Said the car was repaired, but they would like to put some miles on it to get the coolant system "burped" and to make sure it doesn't generate any error codes. Said they'd like to keep it until Monday.

I said no. Told them they had enough time yesterday (Fri.) to put the necessary miles on it, so have someone drive it. He said he'd get it done, and they'd try to get the car to me yesterday evening. At 6:00 I hadn't heard from anyone, so I called. The valet people told me the car was "cleared", but they closed at 7:00. I told them I'd just get it today after lunch and they said fine.

So we just got back from the dealer, and - you guessed it - the car isn't ready. The shop manager went to check on it, then came back and said it hadn't been driven, and Lexus told them it needed to be driven at least 100 miles before releasing it to me. When I asked why it wasn't driven yesterday, he couldn't answer, except to say they didn't have a qualified person available to drive it. The mechanic came out and personally apologized for yet another miscue and delay ... the valet people last night didn't understand that it wasn't really ready. I ripped my service rep a new one, saying he should have advised me yesterday, instead of telling me it should be ready. There were profuse apologies all around from everyone, of course. But the bottom line is I still don't have my car and won't until Monday. That will make 19 days in the shop.

The shop mgr. asked if there was anything he could do, and I told him to just make sure it was fixed, it was freshly washed and it had a full tank of gas. He told me no problem.

I ain't believing it until I see it.

Old 11-21-09, 11:52 AM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hmm, a misstep there for sure. Although I have heard of miscommuniques between the reception/valet desk which answers phones and provides info, vs. the more busy and actual in-the-know service reps. Hope you get your car back in good condition on Monday.
Old 11-21-09, 05:50 PM
Mike_TX
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks, encore. Unless the car acts up over the weekend (the Shop Mgr. drove it home tonight to personally test it out), I have every confidence I'll get it Monday.

But then, I had every confidence I'd have it today, too ...

Old 11-21-09, 08:00 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Best of luck and thanks for keeping us informed along the way, very educational for all.
Old 11-21-09, 08:51 PM
usermel
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Cant wait I bet to get it back. I feel for you. Hope its Monday for you to get it back sir!!!! L.G.N.M

Last edited by usermel; 11-21-09 at 08:52 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-21-09, 09:49 PM
AceVA
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've never heard of such a thing and I don't see anything in the service manual indicating a vehicle needs to be driven 100 miles after a coolant refill. Typically, once it reaches operating temperature at various RPMs (in the shop) any pockets/burps will be released and that's that.

Sounds odd to me. No way would I let a tech joyride in my LS for 100 (presumably hard) miles.

Hope everything works out though and you get it back soon.
Old 11-21-09, 11:28 PM
usermel
Lexus Test Driver

I feel that Lexus should do something for Mike! Maybe its me but, they all dropped the ball on getting Mike the proper info on what the status was. He alreay has been without his car for over 2 weeks. Why wouldnt they be sure to get the so-called 100 miles driven they CLAIM are needed!

Dealerships aka Stealerships are all the same. They dont truly take into consideration how customers feel. Its business to them, no more no less and there never truly sorry if so, why give bad info in the first place to a man like Mike that has waited long enough. No excuse what that dealer did.L.G.N.M
Old 11-21-09, 11:32 PM
usermel
Lexus Test Driver

I wonder how they would feel if they didnt get there total payment for services? Theres plenty to protect them in that regard! Needs to be faster ways to penalize the businesses that we buy from doing bad business. Customer service as a whole has truly gone down hill all across the board. Luxury car dealers need to be more efficient, not just in collecting payments but, serving there customers as well!!!L.G.N.M
Old 11-22-09, 06:21 AM
Johnny
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Reminds me of the window replacement (wind noise) which was supposed to take 3-4 days, but turned out to take two weeks.
Old 11-22-09, 07:26 AM
jlawr
Lead Lap

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Mike,
What was the final diagnosis on the "running very rough" in your car -- broken valve spring or something else?
Was the cylinder or other engine part damaged?
What did they do to fix it?
I thought you had engine trouble -- why are they concerned about coolant?
Old 11-22-09, 08:39 AM
Mike_TX
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks, all - Yes, jlawr, it was a broken valve spring ... the mechanic showed it to me. It was cleanly broken into two roughly equal halves, making two short springs out of one.

It does not appear there was any collateral engine damage. The two pieces of spring and the keeper apparently held the valve stem up and kept it from plunging into the combustion chamber and rattling around.

The 100 miles isn't just to burp the cooling system (which they had to drain to get to the head). They also want to run the engine to be sure it doesn't generate any error codes. They had a bear of a time getting it timed again (cam timing) ... these engines have 4 timing chains - one on each bank from the crankshaft to the intake cam, and another one on each bank from the intake to the exhaust cam. It's apparently very hard to get everything back in synch, and if one of the chains/gears is off even a degree or two it will throw a code after a given number of miles.

So the Shop Mgr. told me Lexus instructed them to drive it a minimum of 100 miles before releasing it to me. The Mgr. himself is doing the driving.

I have to agree that 19 days (which Monday will make) is an absurd length of time to make this repair. About a week of it was spent waiting for the part, but the rest is inexcusable IMO. Either they can fix it or they can't, seems like to me.

I don't know if this is a potential problem on anything but 2008's, but if it happens to you, you will know something is wrong right away ... your car will start shuddering and jerking, since it has "lost" a cylinder, and most of the warning lights on the dash will light up for you. I found that keeping the revs up will allow you to limp to a dealer or a safe place. If the car starts jerking while driving, such as on an incline, use the sport shift to go to a lower gear. Don't gun it, but keep the revs high enough to keep the engine from slamming around.

Old 11-22-09, 01:28 PM
usermel
Lexus Test Driver

For some reason it seems the LS460 as a whole despite package has issues. Its been a while if never iv'e heard of these many issues with a Lexus model or the entire make!! I'm starting to lean away from th LS460 all together. Its not just what Mike's going through, its the several other issues with this car! Maybe I'll get a newer LS430 than I have now! I dont know but, they have to fix these issues and change the exterior before I can be certain i'll get the LS460!!! L.G.N.M
Old 11-22-09, 01:38 PM
Mike_TX
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by usermel
For some reason it seems the LS460 as a whole despite package has issues. Its been a while if never iv'e heard of these many issues with a Lexus model or the entire make!! I'm starting to lean away from th LS460 all together. Its not just what Mike's going through, its the several other issues with this car! Maybe I'll get a newer LS430 than I have now! I dont know but, they have to fix these issues and change the exterior before I can be certain i'll get the LS460!!! L.G.N.M
Well, I still have to defend the 460. The valve spring thing could happen to a Bentley or a Bugatti. True, it's taken my dealer longer than I think was necessary to get it fixed (assuming it IS!), but I don't fault Lexus for that.

The only "other" issue seems to be the wind noise thing, which I PERSONALLY think is way overblown. There are apparently some cars with wind problems, but I believe it's a really small percentage of them.

As for changing the exterior, that's exactly why I sat out the previous generation LS ... I think the 430's look like old man cars (sorry, but I do!), while the 460 blew me away from the first time I saw one. It's muscular, businesslike, and graceful all at the same time ... best-looking LS they've made yet IMO.

But that's what makes horse races, I guess.

Quick Reply: LS in the hospital!