LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

LS in the hospital!

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-09, 02:53 PM
usermel
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Smile I can respect that!

Originally Posted by Mike_TX
Well, I still have to defend the 460. The valve spring thing could happen to a Bentley or a Bugatti. True, it's taken my dealer longer than I think was necessary to get it fixed (assuming it IS!), but I don't fault Lexus for that.

The only "other" issue seems to be the wind noise thing, which I PERSONALLY think is way overblown. There are apparently some cars with wind problems, but I believe it's a really small percentage of them.

As for changing the exterior, that's exactly why I sat out the previous generation LS ... I think the 430's look like old man cars (sorry, but I do!), while the 460 blew me away from the first time I saw one. It's muscular, businesslike, and graceful all at the same time ... best-looking LS they've made yet IMO.

But that's what makes horse races, I guess.

I can respect your opinions Mike buddy. That said, its not your issues only that I made my comment for. As for the valve spring issue, I've never heard of that happening to a car as new as yours in the LS430 models. I agree, the look of the LS430 is not there all the way!! Totally agree with you on the looks of my LS430! My point is that they have yet to find a space for the flagships looks wise since the LS400 which I feel was the best of them all even though it has a bit of Benz with it exterior wise.

My issue is the numerous issues buddy not yours sir. I just put it in your thread so it may seem as if my comments were based on your car alone,they werent! What keeps my friends from buying the LS430/LS460/600 is the exterior. My friends own Benzes,Audi's,Jags,BMW's,Maybachs and etc,! They say they just don't see exterior wise that look that puts Lexus over the top! The flagship should stand out and have a look that cant be confused and I at times not until up close on it can tell what the LS is. You know when you see the other flagships right away.

Its not just your issues that formed my opinion about the new LS! That said, I truly hope the best for your car and that no other issues come up and that monday Lexus does its job and gives you the car you paid for back fixed properly! Almost a month is like paying a car payment for a car you didnt drive for the month(assuming you financed the car) because its in a shop! Hate that for you buddy. They should have already doen the 100 mile drive by now and if not giving you discount would be the proper thing to do. L.G.N.M

Last edited by usermel; 11-22-09 at 02:57 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-22-09, 09:22 PM
Johnny
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

if it happens to you, you will know something is wrong right away ... your car will start shuddering and jerking, since it has "lost" a cylinder, and most of the warning lights on the dash will light up for you.
Exactly same power failure that happened to me twice on the hybrid, when I ran out of gas. Weird sinking feeling - silly, I know but I've always procrastinated when it's time for a fill-up (when are they going to build nuclear cars?); in fact it happened again today. Cop rescued me and drove me to a gas station - in the back seat of course. We both had a good laugh over that one.

Sorry for (partially) jacking the thread.
Old 11-22-09, 09:29 PM
Johnny
Pole Position

Well, I still have to defend the 460.
I'll second that. While my 460 was in the shop a bit, it was the wind noise thing, and I probably could have put up with it as I became too sensitized over time with this issue, and in my case quite frankly, it wasn't that bad. There was absolutely nothing else wrong with the car. The 600 on the other hand has been flawless; only oil and miscellaneous filter changes (DIY), and I'm now pushing 30K miles. Smooth as silk, this car...
Old 11-22-09, 10:55 PM
usermel
Lexus Test Driver

Burnaby, driving the LS600 must be an awesome experience. Having a hybrid in the flagship of that size and Lexus is already smooth. I know its a wow factor to it! L.G.N.M

Last edited by usermel; 11-23-09 at 12:54 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 11-23-09, 03:01 AM
Johnny
Pole Position

The 600 is everything I wondered it would be, and much more.

Not to belittle the 460, however it is definitely a step up.
Old 11-23-09, 02:38 PM
Mike_TX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Okay, it's over.

On Day 19 of my unhappy adventure, I now have my LS back safely in my garage. It SEEMS to be fine, so I'm cautiously optimistic that all is now well.

I got a free oil change, free coolant change, a free tank of gas and a car wash out of it, so I guess it wasn't a total loss.

Interestingly, the work description on the invoice starts out by saying, "Removed engine and front engine cover assy. and both intake and exhaust cams and removed collapsed valve spring ..."

Don't know if they REALLY removed the engine ... I'm afraid to ask.

Old 11-23-09, 02:43 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mike TX - Glad the LS is safely back in your hands, best of luck.

Certainly an educational thread for some of us....
Old 11-23-09, 03:07 PM
usermel
Lexus Test Driver

I agree with the above post! I learned alot from your experiences Mike! Glad you finally got the LS460 back and that they gave you some free things for your troubles. Hope there is no more issues with your LS460 buddy, enjoy it!!! L.G.N.M
Old 11-23-09, 06:34 PM
Mike_TX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks, guys. I don't know how to act now that it's back home!

I DO know I don't really want an ES350 (no offense intended).

Old 11-23-09, 06:52 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Interestingly, the work description on the invoice starts out by saying, "Removed engine and front engine cover assy. and both intake and exhaust cams and removed collapsed valve spring ..."

Don't know if they REALLY removed the engine ... I'm afraid to ask.
Glad to hear the car is back to its owner! I wonder if they mean remove engine cover + front engine cover, but at first read it does sound the other way...
Old 11-23-09, 08:26 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 222 Likes on 150 Posts

Good to know you finally have the car back Best of luck !!!
Old 11-23-09, 10:48 PM
jlawr
Lead Lap

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Glad to hear your car is back in your garage...hope it stays on the road for a long time. And thanx for your detailed response on what was wrong and what was done to fix it.

I too have concerns about the longevity of my ownership of my 460. I believe the most reliable cars Lexus ever made were the 2005-2006 LS430. I wish I could have more faith in my 460.

Luckily I never had a wind-noise or lower seat cushion problem. But I did have to go back to the dealership three or four times to find out a check engine light was caused by the threads on the neck of my gas pipe not aligning properly with the gas cap. Changing the gas cap didn't fix the problem -- only changing the neck solved the issue. Very wierd. Hated the experience: "Oh yes, it's fixed" only to have the check engine light come on again. "Oh yes, your car is ready. You can come and pick it up." only to have to wait 45min. after I arrived for my car to really be ready to be picked up. and, "Yes, we'll call you by the end of the day and let you know..." this or that and having to call the dealership the next day having heard nothing from them.

Now I hear of your broken spring issue. Then there was your "Vehicle pulls to one side" issue requiring a wheel alignment after very few miles on a brand new car. Others have reported a strange odor fron the A/C vents.
Also there's a TSB for "Squawk-Bark Type Noise from the Brake Actuator" and "Hesitation on Acceleration." Just seems like these kinds of issues never came up with pre 2007 Lexus automobiles and shouldn't be happening within a "Pursuit for Perfection."

I love my 2008 LS 460 and it now works great. The favorite car I've ever OWNED. And that's the point, I like to own my cars and not have a monthly lease payment. I also miss the days when I trusted I could drive as many miles as I wanted to and keep my car longer than three years.

For later models year cars is leasing and driving less miles now the only option we have left to us, because Lexus is no longer synonymous with reliability?

How sad.
(and thanx for listening to me vent)
Old 11-23-09, 11:51 PM
usermel
Lexus Test Driver

jlawr, I feel were your coming from sir. Im with you and mentioned that earleir in Mike's thread about his issue that I noticed exactly what you speak of(problems with the LS460). Seems to me that Its an issue of the manufacturing of the cars. The wind noise is about design so who knows why this wasnt corrected. Lexus over the last few years has been a bit sloopy even in servicing my LS430.

I never mentioned it before but had to get some work done that cost me a pretty penny only to go back to the dealer after paying them to find out I was charged for work they didnt perform. Heres the issue,I had a noise issue on the front left side of my car and had a suspension issue. I paid for the parts/labor etc., and after days without my car because of lack of parts that i needed(i understood and had no problem with this) they never replaced what I paid for. Thankfully, I had a print out of what I paid for also known as reciept! The mechanic who worked on the car and customer service rep that helped me, both told me that I didnt have the work done because they werent supposed to perform it and didnt admit they were wrong until I showed the reciept! Just one of several issues I had with the service dept. in the last 3-4 years and lets not get on the quality drop of the newer LS460. I keep seeing in other places were customers arent as happy with the 2007-2009 LS460's as they were with previous LS' reliability and quality.

I still love Lexus despite all this and please don't rip me and jlawr apart because we have had issues with Lexus. If you havent had issues, im happy you havent. This isnt meant to be an attack on Lexus. I just hope if someone high up checks this site, they'll become as common folk are and hear the concerns of those who supported the company and fix them so we stay with Lexus till our last car and pass it on generation to generation that the family drives Lexus'!!! L.G.N.M
Old 11-24-09, 05:02 AM
JFNash
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Mike:

I'm glad that you have your LS back safely, and hopefully forever.

Just to add to my knowledge, what caused your problem? Was it a design problem? Is there a set of conditions where the problem could be repeated?

Speaking of engines, should I let the car warm up before I drive it, especially in the cold days?
Old 11-24-09, 10:17 AM
CEOEngr
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JFNash
Mike:

I'm glad that you have your LS back safely, and hopefully forever.

Just to add to my knowledge, what caused your problem? Was it a design problem? Is there a set of conditions where the problem could be repeated?

Speaking of engines, should I let the car warm up before I drive it, especially in the cold days?
I am sure that Mike will give you his views, but since this similar thing happened to me on another Toyota engine, the answer is none of the above. It is a freak/rare mechanical failure that can happen to any brand of engine, and probably can be labeled as imperfection/impurities in the casting of the spring material.

Quick Reply: LS in the hospital!