LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Nav. override

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-09, 03:47 AM
G2Lexus
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by melymel96
I'm thinking about getting the PS unit...dumb question...what is the remote used for?
The remote is used to switch the override on. It has two buttons, TV and NAV. Pressing TV gives you the ability to play DVD's in motion (assuming you have ML sound). Pressing NAV gives you the ability to override the nav lock while the car is in motion. This funtion times out after 5 minutes unless pressed again to deactivate.
Old 12-17-09, 08:29 AM
melymel96
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by G2Lexus
The remote is used to switch the override on. It has two buttons, TV and NAV. Pressing TV gives you the ability to play DVD's in motion (assuming you have ML sound). Pressing NAV gives you the ability to override the nav lock while the car is in motion. This funtion times out after 5 minutes unless pressed again to deactivate.
Thanks for the clarification. I'll probably pick up the unit after the holidays.
Old 12-23-09, 01:15 PM
creekgolfr
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Override and Ipod installation

I just had the Prestigious Society's Override system and the Vais Technology SL2i-up iPod integration added to my 2008 LS460. They both work great.

Had an initial problem with the Prestigious Society's Override system installation becaue the installer made a mistake and hooked up the GPS antenna to the wrong place. Contacted Mark at Prestigious and he suggested that the installer probably made one of two errors. I had the installer recheck his work. We are in the east, prestigious is on the west coast. The installer called this morning before 10:00am our time!! Mark saw the area code and because of our conversation last night, picked up the phone and walked the installer through the procedure until he found their error. All is great and I would recommend both of these products for all.
Old 12-23-09, 05:05 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

wow great story!!! glad all issues resolved and now you can enjoy the units
Old 01-10-10, 07:21 AM
jstjohnz
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by G2Lexus
And while the override is active your nav won't be getting any position updates or giving voice prompts, that's why you can't leave it permanently on override. And after you switch it off, or it times out, there will be a catch-up period where your vehicle gets it's actual position caught up. It's just a quirk of the way the Lexus nav works, it calculates position from both the GPS signal and wheel pulses. If you just disable the wheel pulses the NAV will error out after a minute or so from seeing GPS position change without any corresponding wheel pulses. So the override has to disable both the wheel pulses and the GPS signal, so while it's active the GPS's position won't update.

So don't have the passenger using the override when you are expecting voice guidance instructions! It's a great unit though, I installed mine yesterday.

The instructions for installation are extremely detailed and loaded with pictures. I was installing a Vais Tech VML at the same time and the Vais Tech doesn't come with any model-specific disassembly instructions, but the radio head unit comes out as part of the process to get the Nav out for the PS install, so I just attached the VML harness when I was putting the head unit back in.
Old 01-22-10, 11:52 AM
OPSBD
Rookie

Does the DVD function time out after five minutes?
Old 01-22-10, 12:14 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by OPSBD
Does the DVD function time out after five minutes?
nop, it's forever as long as car is running

even for the navi override function, there are two modes. one is automatic (5 mins) timeout. you can also program it to manual mode which is forever, so the switch acts like a on/off switch
Old 01-22-10, 12:39 PM
OPSBD
Rookie

Thanks rominl. I must say your very helpful and I really appreciated all your help.
Old 01-22-10, 12:45 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by OPSBD
Thanks rominl. I must say your very helpful and I really appreciated all your help.
you are welcome, glad to help. if there are questions just ask or you can always ask chung @ ps too. i am just so glad that i started the whole override module trend
Old 01-24-10, 10:25 PM
jstjohnz
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
nop, it's forever as long as car is running

even for the navi override function, there are two modes. one is automatic (5 mins) timeout. you can also program it to manual mode which is forever, so the switch acts like a on/off switch
How do you program the latch mode? I assume that's for when you don't need to use the nav?
Old 01-25-10, 04:29 AM
G2Lexus
Driver

From the PS manual -

To go to Manual Mode...

1) Before starting the vehicle, press and hold the NAVI button.
2) Press "Start Engine" to "ACC" position while continuing to hold NAVI button.
3) Continue to hold down the NAVI button for an additional 7 seconds.

Follow the same instructions to go back to Auto mode.
Old 01-25-10, 03:55 PM
OPSBD
Rookie

Received my NAV/DVD by-pass from Prestigious Society today, installed in 2 hours and it works perfect. The instructions that came with it were first class. The step by step was so easy my wife could have done the installation, well maybe not. hehe

Big thanks to Chung and Mark, first class company for sure.
Old 01-25-10, 03:58 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

glad to see another happy customer
Old 01-28-10, 09:43 AM
TexasTex
Driver School Candidate

Question Installation Details

Hey all,

I've read all the posts here regarding the PS Nav override and have some procedural questions for those that have actually done the installation themselves:

I have a 2007 SWB with nav and ML sound system.

1. I'm still confused about the 2 buttons. If one makes the DVD stay on until engine shut down - does this also allow the use of the phone, directory, etc? If so, why do you ever have to shut down the nav part? Or is the phone and other screen functions tied to the nav part?

2. Not ever seeing this product, pls describe what the actual physical product is (ie: is it a box (what size) with 1, 2, 3 wiring harnesses and plugs?)

3. Where does the product itself go? stuffed behind the dash? in the console? under the seat?

4. I'm very handy, how good are the step by step instructions?

5. In as much detail as possible, what specifically needs to be done and how difficult is each step? I look at my center nav stack and radio and cant imagine how to ever get that out

So details and encouragement would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Old 01-28-10, 10:24 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

1) tv button is only for dvd. everything else (phone book, etc...) are all with the navi button

2) box, probably around 2"x2"? 2 sets of harnesses, and then the button module

3) yup, there are plenty of space behind the navigation unit to put the box

4) imho, very detailed. if you are handy then you should have no problem doing it yourself

5) there are quite a few steps involved, but basically you need to take off side panels on the center console, the shift plate, the radio unit, and the navigation unit. the instruction has all the steps and pictures as well

hope this helps. you can always email chung@ps too

Quick Reply: Nav. override