LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Took the plunge

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-09, 01:56 PM
MikeE12345
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does anyone know if installation of the Prestigious Society override kit has any negative implications for the Lexus warrantee.
Old 12-03-09, 05:07 PM
ikeb
Driver

i want to get into the nav system to create a start up screen with my name and address and telephone number. Also, would like to know who created the system - these systems are usually pretty easy to modify once i can get into it. Mostly just basic script language.

i've done extensive mods on my pioneer navigation for my 350z. After reading about the override kit avalable - i dont think the 2010 needs it (i do not have nor do i want dvd playback in my car)
Old 12-04-09, 07:34 AM
G2Lexus
Driver

Originally Posted by Slvr surfr
Hey G2Lexus why did you dump the 750iL? Just curious thats all.
I bought the 2006 BMW in December 2007 with ~23,000 miles. Full BMW warranty still in effect.

Over the next 12 months it was in the shop for headlight assembly replacement, whistling sunroof x 3, door wouldn't latch closed, exterior door handle pulled out of car, rear sunshade came off track, wind noise / rattle in left rear, AC motor failure, leather door panel loose, nav display failure, sunroof cassette replacement, passenger seat mat sensor failure x 2, condensation in tail light and condensation in headlight. That was just the bothersome stuff that I reported and doesn't count the stuff that I knew they couldn't reproduce like the computer resets, pops in speakers when the car "woke up", showing zero fuel when the tank was full, etc. Then the transmission starting jerking and slamming (common complaint in 7 series apparently), I had a coolant leak (towed), I had an oil leak then I had a big oil leak (towed). On the second oil leak I sold the car to the servicing dealer and I flew to Sarasota Florida the next day to get my Lexus.

I sold the BMW after 12 months with ~39k miles on the ODO and calculated that approximately 5 percent of the miles that I had driven were back and forth to the shop. I will say though when the car was not broken it was an incredible ride but unless you live next to a BMW center it's just not worth it.

I've now owned my LS for 11 months and I've had only one repair trip when the front left brake pad separated and went missing. I find the LS loses to the BMW in front seat comfort and handling only. There were a couple of frills on the BMW that were nice such as nav directions on the tachometer and rotary ***** on the dash for the AC fan speed.
Old 12-04-09, 07:40 AM
G2Lexus
Driver

Originally Posted by Slvr surfr
Hey G2Lexus why did you dump the 750iL? Just curious thats all.
Originally Posted by ikeb
i want to get into the nav system to create a start up screen with my name and address and telephone number. Also, would like to know who created the system - these systems are usually pretty easy to modify once i can get into it. Mostly just basic script language.

i've done extensive mods on my pioneer navigation for my 350z. After reading about the override kit avalable - i dont think the 2010 needs it (i do not have nor do i want dvd playback in my car)
Gotta post a DIY if you are able to crack it. The PS override gives you the ability to watch video in motion but also to input data via the touchscreen in motion.
Old 12-04-09, 09:18 AM
LexFather

Congrats!! I am a big XJ fan....
Old 12-04-09, 04:12 PM
ikeb
Driver

interesting that you had problems with the BMW. A friend of mine bought a mercedes clk 550 or 500, cant remember which. Its been in the shop 4 times in the last year because of computer problems.

Before i purchased this LS 460 i decided to take a look at JD Powers' site regarding reliability of luxury cars. The best on their site is the lexus with 5 stars in each area. BMW 3- 5 stars, mercedes with 2 1/2 stars to 5 and Jaguar (best looking of them all) 3 to 5 stars. So, i got the lexus and it is a great car. Ive had it a week and "no problems so far"!!!

Haven't been able to find 10 spoke chrome wheels yet (can get them as a swap out for 800 installed).
Old 12-04-09, 08:03 PM
AceVA
Driver

Have German cars ever been known for reliability? BMW has a great driving experience... they've certainly gone downhill in recent years since diluting their brand name with mass-produced entry-level luxury cars.

Mercedes went down when they contaminated themselves with Chrysler.
Old 12-05-09, 05:50 AM
daryll40
Pole Position

Received 418 Likes on 285 Posts

Originally Posted by AceVA
Have German cars ever been known for reliability? BMW has a great driving experience... they've certainly gone downhill in recent years since diluting their brand name with mass-produced entry-level luxury cars.

Mercedes went down when they contaminated themselves with Chrysler.
Mercedes was overrated BEFORE Chrysler. I had 7 pre-Chrysler Mercedes and they all spent too much time in the shop.
Old 12-05-09, 06:11 AM
JFNash
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

My bro has an 08 BMW X5. He tells me about all kinds of problems with his car.

One time he told me that the parking brake wouldn't release normally. He called the roadside assistance and the tech directed him on how to manually release it, which he did. Well, all kinds of lights went on and warning messages came on the screen. He took it to the dealer and the car sat there for two weeks. The bill was about $9K (covered by warranty). Not to mention 4x4 system failure messages, sudden dead batteries (expensive and not covered by warranty), and other issues that never seem to end.

I notice something about BMW specifically: Most of the maintenance operations involve parts replacement. It's very common with BMW, but not as much with Lexus.
Old 12-05-09, 12:37 PM
G2Lexus
Driver

The BMW forums refer to these types of electrical problems as "gremlins".