LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

sell the supra for a LS?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-09, 09:23 PM
1supra
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default sell the supra for a LS?

Hello guys new this forum have spent most my years on SF,Family is starting now so its time for a change Im wondering what the diff is in the yrs of the new LS,as far as power,mpg,gps,stereo and such,seems like there have been many changes to the LS in the last gen..
Im interested in either trading one of the supras I have or if I have to selling one and replacing it with a gs or Ls. I like the sporty look of the gs,but the wife just had the first kid and its time for a smooth ride. and the Ls is the true alter ego of the sup. I dont want a car that i have to mod anything other than a nice set of wheels,I dont want a car dumped on huge wheels,but id like to run something larger with some lips and at least a 45 or 50 series tire for comfort sake.
Old 12-08-09, 11:16 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

if you want comfort, for sure the ls is much better than the gs (i have/had both), but also keep in mind, don't expect it to have any characteristics of your supra. the ls460 has no driving feel and road feel, it drives like a boat, that's where you get the comfort

the gs has more driving feel, still quite comfortable, however it has considerably less room especially in the rear cabin. with kids and car seats, you might want to make sure that's enough for you
Old 12-08-09, 11:22 PM
lex
Lexus Test Driver

go for it!
Old 12-08-09, 11:51 PM
syzygy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I really can't imagine a supra owner enjoying the ride of an LS.

I'm an IS owner and my dad's LS 460 drives like a boat as people have stated. But, there are upsides to it. A 21 year old driving around in an $80k LS 460 definitely turns heads if that sort of thing matters to you. It's an executive luxury sedan car, the type of car that 40+ year old rich white collared people drive.

There's no doubt that it's smooth as hell and quiet as hell on the road, but I have very little confidence taking that car through windy roads. I feel like I have to concentrate too hard on making sure I'm in the lane.

Then again, I've only driven it a handful of times. If I drove it a lot and got used to driving it, I'm sure I'd become more comfortable.
Old 12-09-09, 12:00 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

i won't deny the handling and drivability of the ls460. i had a ls460l and i have done some crazy stuff in the car taking very hard turns and stuff. the car handles very well and is able to take a lot more than what most would think

but like carLx said, you need to get used to it to "believe" it, otherwise you don't get the kind of confidence
Old 12-09-09, 03:19 AM
Johnny
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

I sometimes miss my old Supra...
Old 12-09-09, 03:32 AM
G2Lexus
Driver

Get the LS Sport. It will still drive like a boat...with paddle shifters.
Old 12-09-09, 10:39 AM
1supra
Pole Position

Ive test driven both the gs and the Ls,while the GS looks and feels more my age bracket so to speak,the luxury and feel of the Ls was nice.I daily a diesel truck for work,so im use to a boat. I will still have another supra for spirited driving on weekends,I need this to be a trip car and haul the kid around safe car,so I dont think it will see much "fun" driving time anyway.Im far from rich and white collar though.So saving some dough on the gs and having a car that looks a little more my age could easily happen. The sound system in the Ls was unreal,only thing ive seen to gettin close to the audi a8 in terms of comfort and sound.I really liked the a8 as well but dont wana pay to maintain a used one.
Old 12-09-09, 11:13 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

i would highly suggest trying to put in a car seat and baby in the back. i tried, the ls is much easier (and you will notice how tight it is on the gs) <-- i assume by family you are thinking about kids
Old 12-10-09, 11:29 AM
1supra
Pole Position

I have one kid and hopefully it will stay that way,Im using a expidition now,so a gs cant be much harder than that,but that sounds like good advise these car seats are huge these days. I just cant get excited about a purchasing a Gs,the Ls seems to enthuse me a little more the a8 even more so but i dont feel like i can take the risk on a used one,keeping in mind i already have real sports cars,so pretty much no sedan is impressing me with its sporty attributes,quite the opposite really
Old 12-10-09, 01:16 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

i will be very very cautious about a used a8, it can be big headache

with what you said, i say definitely check out the ls460. you are right about the car seat. gs has small rear cabin room with car seat it's definitely not the easiest
Old 12-10-09, 02:06 PM
chauss
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The A8 is a maintenance mechanics dream....he will become your best friend.
Wanted or not....
I also fell in love with the A8- but the maintenance track record swayed me away. Look on one of the Audi forums and read a bunch first. Most owners are not happy with the amount of time their rides are in the shop...

After driving German cars for over a decade I have come to the conclusion that if you are in a position to buy a new one as the warranty expires you will love German cars. Never ending car payment- to some that is OK. To me it was not.
I used to be an avid MB fan...I am no longer.
Old 12-10-09, 04:17 PM
Johnny
Pole Position

Originally Posted by carLx
There's no doubt that it's smooth as hell and quiet as hell on the road, but I have very little confidence taking that car through windy roads. I feel like I have to concentrate too hard on making sure I'm in the lane.
You suffer from pre-conceived notions and stereotyping - don't worry, you're not alone. I'll bet dollars to donuts you couldn't keep up to me in my boat on a winding road. It helps that I used to race RX7s in my past mind you, and was drifting before the word came into the common lingo, and when many in here were still in diapers. I avoid criticizing any car from any era & driver from any generation; I could end up with a lot of dust on my face in no time flat. Any car in the right hands can smoke any high performance car in the wrong hands.
Old 12-10-09, 04:29 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by Burnaby
You suffer from pre-conceived notions and stereotyping - don't worry, you're not alone. I'll bet dollars to donuts you couldn't keep up to me in my boat on a winding road. It helps that I used to race RX7s in my past mind you, and was drifting before the word came into the common lingo, and when many in here were still in diapers. I avoid criticizing any car from any era & driver from any generation; I could end up with a lot of dust on my face in no time flat. Any car in the right hands can smoke any high performance car in the wrong hands.
hehe i agree, it's just like me driving a civic vs my grandma in a ferrari
Old 12-10-09, 06:12 PM
Johnny
Pole Position

Right, without the driver, the drive stands still...

Quick Reply: sell the supra for a LS?