LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Would you consider a 07 LS460 for $36,999???

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-09, 12:20 AM
AceVA
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Again, the mileage isn't a concern if it was well maintained. Do you know how long ANY car will last if well maintained? I had an Oldsmobile '98 that I drove to 240,000 miles -- the body gave out before the engine. I ran Mobil 1 from the time it was new and never missed maintenance. I had a Silverado with 280,000 miles -- original everything except for shocks, alternator and an axle seal. I had a Toyota with over 200,000 miles -- still running strong when I sold it. A Taurus with 175,000 miles on it. I could go on all day It's only been in the past 10 years that I've developed vehicle ADD and trade / buy new every 2 years or less.

I take care of my vehicles... I do almost all non-warranty maintenance so I know it's getting done right and not by a glorified porter at a dealership. It's never failed me to date.

I've seen vehicles with 25k miles that I wouldn't touch on a bet. You can do A LOT of damage to a vehicle in a few miles. Cooking the transmission, playing whack-a-mole with potholes, Wal-Mart quick-lube oil changes, lack of maintenance, etc. You can tell a lot about a vehicle by inspecting it.... I always recommend getting an oil analysis, for example, even on a 20k mile "cream puff."

Point being, if you plan on keeping the vehicle, don't let the mileage scare you -- check the history yourself (don't let the dealer hand you that "it was a local trade, always serviced here, air blows cold, heat blows warm, yada yada" garbage.) Have an oil analysis performed. Have the vehicle inspected. If anything is amiss - walk away. There's many more out there.

I would add - don't expect a perfect gem at 90k miles. If that's what you're looking for, look new or gently/slightly used. My obsessive nature detests flaws, thus I tend to go new (or close to) so if you're the same, spend the extra for closer-to-perfection.

Last edited by AceVA; 12-19-09 at 12:23 AM.
Old 12-19-09, 12:40 AM
ErnieA
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Burnaby
I'd say get it. 100K miles is not that much. Considering that Lexus owners are not that sporty, the car was well maintained and the climate it was used in is good, I'd go for it in a heartbeat. Many LSs are hovering at 200-300K and still going strong. For buyers that are used to acquiring new vehicles, it would sound high and their opinions would naturally be biased. However, it is a Lexus and that says more than enough.
Burnaby did you see or test drive the LS since you mentioned the car was well maintained?
Old 12-19-09, 04:19 AM
usermel
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Smile Listen to this guy! Especially the end of his statement Ernie!!

Originally Posted by AceVA
Again, the mileage isn't a concern if it was well maintained. Do you know how long ANY car will last if well maintained? I had an Oldsmobile '98 that I drove to 240,000 miles -- the body gave out before the engine. I ran Mobil 1 from the time it was new and never missed maintenance. I had a Silverado with 280,000 miles -- original everything except for shocks, alternator and an axle seal. I had a Toyota with over 200,000 miles -- still running strong when I sold it. A Taurus with 175,000 miles on it. I could go on all day It's only been in the past 10 years that I've developed vehicle ADD and trade / buy new every 2 years or less.

I take care of my vehicles... I do almost all non-warranty maintenance so I know it's getting done right and not by a glorified porter at a dealership. It's never failed me to date.

I've seen vehicles with 25k miles that I wouldn't touch on a bet. You can do A LOT of damage to a vehicle in a few miles. Cooking the transmission, playing whack-a-mole with potholes, Wal-Mart quick-lube oil changes, lack of maintenance, etc. You can tell a lot about a vehicle by inspecting it.... I always recommend getting an oil analysis, for example, even on a 20k mile "cream puff."

Point being, if you plan on keeping the vehicle, don't let the mileage scare you -- check the history yourself (don't let the dealer hand you that "it was a local trade, always serviced here, air blows cold, heat blows warm, yada yada" garbage.) Have an oil analysis performed. Have the vehicle inspected. If anything is amiss - walk away. There's many more out there.

I would add - don't expect a perfect gem at 90k miles. If that's what you're looking for, look new or gently/slightly used. My obsessive nature detests flaws, thus I tend to go new (or close to) so if you're the same, spend the extra for closer-to-perfection.
WOW, well said by this guy. I would pass myself but, this guy hit all the nails on the head and has me sold. Do an oil analysis as he said, do your due diligence because if the car was maintained it can be fine. If you plan on driving 20,000 miles a year get a younger(miles wise) whip bro. That said if your more of a 10,000-12,000 mile per year person this may work.

To give you some food for thought, I have a 2001 LS430(will be getting LS460 next September) and I have 104,500 miles on my car now. On average is were i should be maybe a bit less depending on 12,000 miles a year scale and 15,000 miles a year scale bro. 97,000 is a bunch of miles but, if YOU want it go for it but, the price is to high for those miles. No more than $31,000 to me is what I would pay. Dealers wouldnt give($36,999) that for a trade so dont give them that much of a profit. Shop around as well because fellow members have been right about deals close to this with less miles for a 2007 buddy. That said, this guy above made great points sir. Heed his advice, could help!!!! L.G.N.M

Last edited by usermel; 12-19-09 at 04:23 AM. Reason: spelling!!
Old 12-19-09, 08:16 AM
ErnieA
Driver School Candidate

Update:
I will make an offer to the dealer today at $33,000 and go from there. I appreciate everyone's replies.

I have had a total of 7 Lexus vehicles:
- 06 GS430 with 115,000 currently wife drives
- 04 LS430 with 103,000 I drive
- RX 300 and RX 330 both had over 100k miles when sold
- 00 LS400 sold to a friend and went over 300k miles and not maintained properly
- 98 GS400 aka 1BADGS was my license plate sold to a neighbor with 225k miles and still runs/sounds great (lowered, swift intake and Millen exhaust)

As stated in numerouns post a well maintained car will give you the miles and the extended life on the car.

My friend Jmy from Davenport Motors has also given his blessing on this car after his inspection. Davenport Motors only services Lexus vehicles. I have been going to them for over 12 years so any advice they give towards my cars I follow.

Thanks again Ernie!!
Old 12-19-09, 11:30 AM
eternal07
Pole Position

i'm getting 07 LS 460 next week
i'm paying about 10k more but it is certified and has only 26k miles on it.
Old 12-19-09, 11:56 AM
usermel
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That 2007 with 26,000 miles on it sounds like great deal. L.G.N.M
Old 12-19-09, 02:04 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

if you ask me, drivetrain is something i will hardly worry about on a lexus

but the other stuff like electronics, those are things i will be cautious. a lot of times they are not things you can "maintain" and they will work forever.
Old 12-19-09, 06:03 PM
Johnny
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by ErnieA
Burnaby did you see or test drive the LS since you mentioned the car was well maintained?
Originally Posted by ErnieA
Thanks for the input guys. The service is up to date and serviced at Lexus Ft Worth and Lexus Grapevine, TX. Owner had oil changes done, purchased tires from the dealerhsips listed but did miss the 30k and 60k service. Lexus FT Worth did a presale inspection on 12/7/09. Davenport Motors that services only Lexus vehicles here in DFW area has checked it out and gave it a passing grade but they have not seen a 07 with that many miles.

Ernie
I think one can surmise that the car was well maintained from your earlier post...
Old 12-23-09, 04:35 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

36k for a car with close to 100k????? I would look at a GS with the same options and knock off 60k miles. I love the LS though but I would still worry about the mileage
Old 12-28-09, 11:40 AM
Kbueno
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It says complete service history/

So if you can review the history and it looks good...why not. My GS is getting long in the tooth and I am considering an LS. Just to get something a little bigger and more luxury. Mileage as others have said, doesn't mean much as long as its maintained. At 160k my GS still feels as strong and as smooth as when I bought her.
Old 12-28-09, 04:15 PM
Nospinzone

Received 419 Likes on 323 Posts

12-19-09, 11:16 AM

Update:
I will make an offer to the dealer today at $33,000 and go from there.

And ................... come on, enquiring minds want to know!
Old 01-01-10, 02:07 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

There is nothing worse than a luxury car with high mileage. People who usually buy cars in this class and in this age of the vehicle usually wants something more safe and sound. CPO usually helps as well
Old 01-01-10, 04:02 PM
Salil022
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

LS460 is def. alot of a car for $33k regardless of the miles....As long as its taken care of...I can't believe these cars are going for mid 30s...What a car for the money
Old 01-12-10, 07:10 AM
ErnieA
Driver School Candidate

Here's the update...I bought a 07 LS460 from Park Place Lexus. Gray exterior, Alabaster interior, ML, Nav, heated steering wheel, self-closing doors and trunk and back-up camera. Miles: 66,500 Price: $36,000 not CPO. I also added a set of 21" FA Wheels staggered 9's in the front and 10's in the rear. I will get better pics but I have attached one taken from my iPhone.

The LS460 is great looking car already but adding the 21's made the car look more aggressive and stands out from the rest.

Can you play your iPod video's on the ML system? I tried the plug and play aux but it only played the music.

I'm also shopping for aftermarket warranties...any suggestions?

I appreciate everyone's input and assistance. Pics will follow.

Regards,
Ernie
Attached Thumbnails Would you consider a 07 LS460 for ,999???-clip_image001.jpg  
Old 01-12-10, 08:39 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

congrats on your car!

your car has ML and there is no kit for your car to play ipod video. vaistech only has unit to integrate the audio playback

Quick Reply: Would you consider a 07 LS460 for $36,999???