LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

New to the Lexus Family with questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-10, 03:36 PM
jarm
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to the Lexus Family with questions

Hello everyone: I have had two lexi (400,430) in the past and I have wanted another one forever. I recently purchased a used 2007 LS460 Blk/Blk. I LOVE this car. Now for the new questions.
I went to the dealer to check the parking sensor message on the Nav screen.

The dealer told me I needed:

1. Replace front and rear parking sensors $1400
2. Replace air filter, Hepa filter $ 250
3. Replace rear brake pads & machine rotor $290

Then they wanted to sell me a extended warranty for 4/100K $4375

Could some fill me in about these prices. Are these a good price? or where I could get the parts for myself. They told me these were not under warranty so I will have to pay. If someone could please help me fix these things rather than being bent over by the dealer I would greatly appreciate it.
Thanks for all your help.

Jarm
Old 01-13-10, 04:06 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

hi jarm, welcome to clublexus. those are some heart attack numbers...

1) what is the reason to replace the parking sensors? they have to give you a reason and what's faulty about them. and why are they not covered under warranty (4yr/50k)? i can only see them not covered if they are damaged by you or previous owner

2) can you ask them specifically which air filter to replace? the micro filter (i don't know if they are available on the swb)? either way they sound expensive. if it's the engine air filter, i would imagine each (2 of them) to be like 30 bucks? for the normal ac filter i think it should be around 40-50 bucks max.

3) i guess that's typical dealership price...

extended warranty is outranges.... 4k for another 4yr or 100k max? that's silly. when i got my ls460l, i was offered extended warranty to like 7yr/100k for 1500 or so. personally i won't pay more than 2k for extended warranty

which dealership did you go to? sewell lexus is a vendor here, maybe you can check with them on parts pricing
Old 01-13-10, 05:17 PM
AceVA
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There's no way ALL sensors need to be replaced. Perhaps the parking computer is bad, which is a $200 (dealer list) part. Perhaps one of the sensors is excessively dirty. Either way, $1,400 is lunacy.

Even if they're replacing the chassis AND cabin filters, it still shouldn't amount to $250. Ripoff!

Turning the rotors and replacing rear brake pads.... $290 is much, but I suppose could be considered normal for a Lexus dealer. Many will turn them for free if you complain of pulsation.

Regardless - RUN from this dealer. They seem borderline criminal!
Old 01-13-10, 06:11 PM
jarm
Pit Crew

Default Reply

Thanks for all the help;

1. I am reading from the Lexus printout about the filters: replace air filter element ($69.96)and replace cabine air/HEPA filter($189.95).

The answer on why it is not covered under warranty is they said someone hit the parking sonar sensors, so they will not be covered. No one has it anything that I can tell. I wonder about the Dealer. The dealer is Northside Lexus in Houston.
I was told that the sensors cost $384 each and they have to remove the bumper. The $1400 is for one sensor in the front and one on the left rear. The dealer said TWO sensors need to replaced.[/I]

jarm
Old 01-13-10, 06:30 PM
AceVA
Driver

Lunacy. The air filter is $20... the cabin filter is $40. Brake bads list at $75 and can be had for $51. The sensors FULL LIST at $251... you can get them for $175. So, a bit over $500 worth of parts (assuming you need them all) and they want to charge you $1,500 for ~4-5 hours worth of work (MAX)? Right.

If they were hit, being as they are recessed in the bumper - there should be surrounding damage. I'd tell you to make them provide evidence they were hit, but I honestly would smile and run the other way from this shady dealership. Find another one, forget the previous dealer assessment and if they too tell you that you're responsible for the sensors, you may be on the hook unless you want to battle directly with Lexus. As for the filters, order them yourself and change them all in ~15 mins.

Either way, I wouldn't give a dime to that dealer.

Edit: By the way -- if you're on the hook for the sensors and the next dealer won't cut you a decent break, I'd order the sensors and stop by any reputable body shop... if the bumper needs to come off, they can have it off in no time. The sensors are easy to replace. I'm unsure, however, if it will require the dealer computer to activate the new sensors. If so, a Toyota dealer should be able to do it cheaply - they have the same computer as Lexus techs and have much cheaper labor rates.

Last edited by AceVA; 01-13-10 at 06:37 PM.
Old 01-13-10, 08:03 PM
jarm
Pit Crew

Default Reply

AceVA:
Could you give some idea of what kind of brake pads you would recommend? I am considering posi quiet ceramic. Also where would you get the sensors, air filters from? Any help would be great. Thanks

Jarm
Old 01-13-10, 10:18 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

i agree, i can't imagine it being that hard and expensive to replace sensors

in any case, i think i would try another dealership...
Old 01-13-10, 10:59 PM
AceVA
Driver

All of those prices were based on OEM parts, which is all I use - so unfortunately, I wouldn't have any recommendations as far as brake pads are concerned other than stock.

I order all of my oem parts for all of my vehicles from parts.com - they're usually the cheapest I've found, but you may also want to try Sewell Lexus - they're a vendor here, I've ordered a few accessories from them and they're great as well. Good luck!
Old 01-13-10, 11:04 PM
usermel
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Listen to Ace and find another dealer. Dont tell the other dealer what you were quoted so you can see what the other dealer honestly says are the problems with your car! Sometimes dealers in service departments price hike items and labor. Service is the bread of ALL dealers my friend! AceVA gave the proper advice. The customer drives the business, not the other way around. You need proof the sensors were hit and if they werent it should be under warranty and that dealers knows this. Thats probably why the dealer stated they had been hit without proof! FIND another dealer dear sir as ACE suggested!! L.G.N.M
Old 01-14-10, 06:05 AM
jarm
Pit Crew

Default Reply

Thanks to everyone, I will try another dealer and let you know.

jman
Old 01-14-10, 11:05 AM
jstjohnz
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Did you buy the car from a dealer or a private party? Was the sensor error message showing when you bought the car or has it happened since?
Old 01-14-10, 08:26 PM
jarm
Pit Crew

Default Reply

jstjohnz:
I purchased this car from a independent auto co. in Dallas. The carfax report showed normal maintenance. I live in Houston, half the way home( 3 1/2 hour drive) the check front sensor message came on the nav screen. I have had the car for 5 days now and the message came on the nav screen one more time. If the sensor was out, shouldn't the message come on every time I turn the car on?

jman
Old 01-17-10, 08:04 AM
scorpio74
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jarm
jstjohnz:
I purchased this car from a independent auto co. in Dallas. The carfax report showed normal maintenance. I live in Houston, half the way home( 3 1/2 hour drive) the check front sensor message came on the nav screen. I have had the car for 5 days now and the message came on the nav screen one more time. If the sensor was out, shouldn't the message come on every time I turn the car on?

jman
You will get the message if the sensors got problem. It's a closed loop programming. So if your sensors are not working or got problems, the computer will display the faults. Clean the sensors and make sure the wires are not disconnected or ripped off in some way. Another thing to look at is the parking computer itself. To check this, you will need computer diagnostic tool. It could be faulty as well. There's a switch to turn on or off the parking sensor...Just turn it OFF for now.
Why don't you go to West Side Lexus in I-10 W or Sterling McCall Lexus in Sugar Land ? Get different opinions. Good luck.
Old 01-17-10, 03:51 PM
RGSW
Intermediate

Received 109 Likes on 80 Posts

I don't see any "mileage/actual miles" stated on the original posting. It would help to understand if the mileage was stated.
Old 01-17-10, 06:03 PM
jarm
Pit Crew

Default Reply

I purchased it with 30K miles and drove it home.

jarm

Quick Reply: New to the Lexus Family with questions