LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

08 LS460 Shut Down and Won't Start Up

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-10, 03:32 PM
Mike_TX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I might mention here that my '08 LS460 crapped out awhile back, too ... and it turned out to be a broken valve spring. (Thread elsewhere on the forum.) It didn't completely die in my case, but it was running so rough it tried to die several times before I could limp to the dealer.

They kept my car for 19 days before they finally diagnosed it, got the parts (from Japan) and finally got it running it right again. Like yours, my dealer was puzzled at first, too, because they'd never seen this before.

When they say "engine" it makes me wonder if it's not the same thing. There are known defective valve springs in some '08's, so that could be it. I might add mine runs fine now that they finally got it fixed.

Old 01-18-10, 03:49 PM
usermel
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

AceVA gave valuable advice. Heed it and im sure you'll be fine. Also,Mikes story is helpful as well being he had issues like yours. This forum can be so useful fr members at times and this is one of those times!!! L.G.N.M
Old 01-18-10, 07:22 PM
dk0515
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks guys. I'm going to bring up mikes incident and see if they can check that out too.
Old 01-19-10, 09:25 AM
dk0515
Pole Position

I just spoke with Lexus Corp. I stated what AceVA wrote. They pretty much said sorry its been taking so long. They need 2 business days to get back to me so they can figure out what the dealer has done and if a FSE wasn't sent out they will send one out ASAP. She then explained that if they are unable to fix it or takes to long I can then go ahead a process a buy back or a lemon. Once the process is started for any of those it takes 6-8 weeks to be completed.

Any thoughts?
Old 01-19-10, 11:36 AM
Craig B
Pole Position

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts

I would give them a chance to respond. Let us know in a couple of days what Lexus has to say. I would guess, you're in a service loaner? You have to give them a chance to figure out what's going on.

Good luck,

Craig
Old 01-19-10, 03:37 PM
Mike_TX
Lexus Test Driver

I don't remember seeing where you mentioned how long you've had the car. Since it's an '08, and I assume you bought it new, you've had it awhile.

If those assumptions are correct, I'd be surprised at a buy-back or even a lemon law action. The latter requires a series of problems and failed attempts to fix it in most cases. But your case may be different.

Old 01-19-10, 05:16 PM
AceVA
Driver

Originally Posted by Mike_TX
I don't remember seeing where you mentioned how long you've had the car. Since it's an '08, and I assume you bought it new, you've had it awhile.

If those assumptions are correct, I'd be surprised at a buy-back or even a lemon law action. The latter requires a series of problems and failed attempts to fix it in most cases. But your case may be different.

Really depends on the state, Mike. In many (if not most?) it's 3 attempts to repair the same problem (does not have to be a series of problems) OR 30 days for a single repair.

OP - I would give it a couple more days and see if Lexus corporate puts any pressure on the dealer and ASM or FSE to get to the bottom of your issue.

It does take a while for a buyback and lemon law claim... 6-8 weeks is if they cooperate... I've seen some take a year or more when the manufacturer fights it. At least Lexus appears to be interested in your issue, which is really what drove me to Lexus to begin with.

As always, good luck - please keep us updated!
Old 01-19-10, 08:41 PM
Mike_TX
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah, should have been clearer. I understand that either 1.) a series of different problems (an obvious "lemon" car with tons of unrelated issues) or 2.) the failure to repair a single problem after multiple tries, can be grounds for a lemon law action.

And it does vary somewhat by state. A friend of mine pursued a successful lemon law action a few years ago on a Corvette with a suspension problem they couldn't seem to fix, and it took him about 6 months to resolve. Chevrolet finally let him take it to the dealer and pick out a new one to replace it (with the court's blessing).

It wasn't easy.

Old 01-19-10, 08:53 PM
jstjohnz
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I would like to hear more details as to what the symptoms are. Does the car crank but not start at this point? Or is it some weird electrical problem where the car doesn't even try to start?
Old 01-20-10, 04:31 PM
dk0515
Pole Position

The rep from Lexus Corp. stated that I could pursue a Lemon or Buy-Back after a little more time. She stated that these would qualify 1) if a problem can't be fixed that is a safety issue within 3 tries or if the problem is a serious safety issue then less then 3 tries. 2) If a single repair takes longer then 30 days.

I think there is a third one but I can't remember.

jstjohnz: The only symptom was that right before the car shut off, two warning lights came on. 1) Picture of a steering wheel 2) Battery. After the car shut off, when I tried to turn it on, nothing happens. No noise, crank or anything. That is all I know.
Old 01-20-10, 05:11 PM
dk0515
Pole Position

I just received a call from my dealership. They said that so far it looks like one of the valve's in the engine lost pressure. They got the OK from Lexus corp. to repair this through warranty. He said thats what it seems as of right now and he'll no more when they open up the engine.

It seems like this is exactly what MikeTX had a while back. I'll keep you guys posted.
Old 01-20-10, 05:23 PM
Nospinzone

Received 424 Likes on 327 Posts

I would bet its something really simple and minor (like a fried chip). The problem is if they will find it.
Old 01-21-10, 12:50 PM
Mike_TX
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by dk0515
I just received a call from my dealership. They said that so far it looks like one of the valve's in the engine lost pressure. They got the OK from Lexus corp. to repair this through warranty. He said thats what it seems as of right now and he'll no more when they open up the engine.

It seems like this is exactly what MikeTX had a while back.
I'll keep you guys posted.
Except that mine didn't affect the starter, nor the battery, and mine DID run (although very badly).

The only thing I can think of when they say a "valve lost pressure" is that maybe a hydraulic valve lifter lost pressure. That would be a little odd, but I guess one of them could "collapse". And if it did so, it might trigger the cam position sensor and shut down the engine to prevent damage.

It will be interesting to know what they find out.

Old 01-21-10, 12:56 PM
dk0515
Pole Position

I will post the info once I get the paper work or if they call me. I forgot your car still worked. I just need to wait and see what happens with mine.
Old 01-26-10, 08:48 AM
solo
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what's happpening..?

Quick Reply: 08 LS460 Shut Down and Won't Start Up