LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

08 LS460 Shut Down and Won't Start Up

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-10, 03:16 PM
dk0515
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just got a call from the dealer. He said that the tech just took out the cylinder head and engine out of the car. They still don't know what's exactly wrong with the car. He said that the tech might be sending the cylinder head out for inspection.

Thats all the news I have for now. I forgot to mention that the cars been there since 1/4/10.
Old 01-26-10, 03:18 PM
solo
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

9 more days and it's a LEMON!!!!!

Originally Posted by dk0515
I just got a call from the dealer. He said that the tech just took out the cylinder head and engine out of the car. They still don't know what's exactly wrong with the car. He said that the tech might be sending the cylinder head out for inspection.

Thats all the news I have for now. I forgot to mention that the cars been there since 1/4/10.
Old 01-26-10, 06:29 PM
AceVA
Driver

Originally Posted by dk0515

Is the FSE working with this tech? It seems like he could use the help.

What led them to the cylinder head? Low compression? The whole thing seems odd.

If it were me, I liked the car and wanted to avoid a lengthy lemon claim - I'd tell them they've had their fun, order a new motor and call it a day... they can take the old one and spend as many months as they want trying to diagnose the issue.

Enough is enough.
Old 01-27-10, 03:32 PM
gserep1
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am looking at a 2007 LS460L with 20,000 miles, and I am getting worried. I wonder if I should wait before buying this car?

I will also say that I am not used to running 5W-20 oil. It seems a little thin to me, but that is just an opinion. My current GS400 has over 210,000 miles with no engine problems whatsoever.

I wonder how many failures of this type have actually occured on these engines?

I started to pull the trigger today, but started reading this forum for any problems on the new LS. I LOVE the way the car runs, but I don't know now.
Old 01-27-10, 03:50 PM
usermel
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I feel you gserep 1. Buying a car is a crap shoot to say the least. No car is perfect but, what Lexus is to me and others and you as well is the 210,000 miles you have on your GS 400 already with no engine problems to date. I have 105,500 miles on my 2001 LS 430 and it runs well. I feel you though about the LS460 and the issues members have had. Thing is if you look back at all makes and models from BMW to Acura to Benz back to Lexus inevery year theres an issue.

I thnik if theres doubt it means Im not ready to buy myself. If I feel uncomfortable I feel its something telling me to wait a while longer. The thing is that these days deals on used and new cars are the best they have been in years so, we cant wait but, a while longer to get these deals out there!!! Good luck on your search buddy!!! L.G.N.M
Old 01-27-10, 03:53 PM
usermel
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Oh, this is smelling like a LEMON all day. I think the process is made t frustrate the buyer from moving forward. Its to long and its clear the car is a major problem. Well, at least a loaner is given to you(I hope) in the meantime!! Hpe the fix this issue very soon for this member, to long to have to wait! L.G.N.M
Old 01-28-10, 09:29 AM
dk0515
Pole Position

AceVa - I was told that a FSE was sent out. So, I'm hoping that's the truth. The dealer did invite me to take a look at whats being done to the car but I don't know anything about the engine. If I looked at it, I won't be able to tell anything.

I think low compression was why they said it was that. But, I don't think they actually know whats wrong with it.

gserep1 - I understand how you feel. However, the LS is an amazing car other then this issue and I did have some turbulence noise. It's one of the most smoothest cars I've ever driven.

So far AceVA and I are the only ones with some type of major engine problem. I'm sure their might be others with similar problems but on this forum. It's just the two of us.
Old 01-28-10, 10:50 AM
AceVA
Driver

I think it was MikeTX that had an engine problem like yourself. *knock on wood* I haven't had any issues.

I hope they do something for you soon, dk.
Old 01-28-10, 12:02 PM
dk0515
Pole Position

Oh yeah. Sorry Ace. It was Mike with the problem.

But, I did get a call from Lexus Corp today. They said that the problem was that a valve spring broke off and went into the cylinder head. Therefore, they will be replacing the short block engine with a new one. All part have been ordered and should take a few day to get. Also, few more days to install.
Old 01-28-10, 12:47 PM
gserep1
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Are you sure you're getting a short block

Hi There,
I have to wonder what you are getting when you say a SHORT BLOCK. In my experience, a short block is just the lower part of the engine, (pistons, block and crankshaft), and they will reuse the original heads.

I would think they would replace it with a long block, which is the short block plus the heads already assembled.

It seems to me that the heads were where the problems started. A valve spring broke, which allowed the valve to drop in on the piston. That destroyed the block. I would certainly want a new upper end as well. My philosophy is that if one spring broke, what's to say that others in the same head won't also break?

This bothers me. I am sure this engine costs well over $10,000 dollars because of the technical complexity. This is not the first time the springs have broken.

I really want one of these cars, but I don't know now. I think I will wait a while longer.
Old 01-28-10, 01:41 PM
PhantomZX
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Also, is the computer smart enough to know something is broken in the engine and not even attempt to start it as the OP originally stated?
Old 01-28-10, 02:51 PM
cmasten
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

With all due respect to Mike and dk0515, I am hoping it was just a small batch of bad springs for 2008 vehicles that turn out to be the issue.

I have not seen this problem on any other sites other than these two instances, I certainly would not hold off buying an LS when the vast majority are considered to be among the most reliable vehicles in their class. I wish I had bought mine sooner!

Also dk0515 who is the dealer that has it Longo?
Old 02-04-10, 09:02 AM
dk0515
Pole Position

Yesterday I got a call from the dealer and they said they are going to replace the entire engine. He said he just ordered the part but that what they told me last week. It's now been 31 days so I'm on hold with Lexus Corp to start me lemon. I will give you guys an update once the call is completed.
Old 02-04-10, 09:04 AM
dk0515
Pole Position

cmasten - Yes. Even thought this has happen to me. I would still buy another LS. It's an amazing car. The dealer I took it to is Keyes Lexus of Van Nuys
Old 02-04-10, 09:58 AM
dk0515
Pole Position

I just got off the phone with Corp. I started the Lemon case. They said it will take 4-6 weeks for me to hear from the Lemon Department. They will mail me a letter and I will have to fill out information. Its going to take that long because they have to determine if my case is considered a lemon and gather all the relevant facts.

They said I can choose to keep driving my LS when it's fixed or I can use a rental. If I use a rental, they will reimburse me if a lemon is successful. If it is not, then I will have to cover all rental costs.

Quick Reply: 08 LS460 Shut Down and Won't Start Up