LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

08 LS460 Shut Down and Won't Start Up

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-10, 02:33 PM
usermel
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

WOW, Im blown away with the HORRIBLE customer service this man is getting. YES, I dont own a LS460 but, Im a part of the Lexus family and purchased my car from a Lexus dealer. Had a bad experience with my purchase as well. That said, Lexus Corp. should be more mindful of this customers issues and how horribly they have handled him. Im not upset but, dissappointed in how long this issue has dragged along.

By now there is no excuse why DK0515 is still waiting for a reason at the least he doesnt have his car. Who's the customer here. Why is it nobody has contacted this poor person that still is waiting for his car. Its obvious the car is a Lemon. That said, he is still within the warranty so they(Lexus) are responsible for the issue and are avoiding this customer. They know at the dealer the issue. If I were him in a polite way I would go to the dealer and demand an answer, politely and firmly but, without disrespecting anyone.

Anger wont get a response at all. Calling gives them at the dealer what they need to avoid you Dk0515! Go to the dealer if you have a ride to do so and get closure! L.G.N.M

Last edited by usermel; 03-19-10 at 10:28 PM.
Old 03-18-10, 05:27 AM
dimapb
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

dk0515 - just a bit of advise... I know you are already speaking with couple of attorneys and called Lexus Corp, but if I were you, I would find a Customer Satisfaction Administrator at Lexus in your area. They are the once that will handle a buy-back. I had issues with my first 2007 Ls460L and was not getting anywhere with a dealer or a Lexus Corp. Once I found Customer Satisfaction Administrator in my area (East Coast) she was able to resolve my issues in less than 4 weeks. My car was voluntarily purchased back (notice... not a lemon ) and i was refunded all of my money, including taxes and all. I was given an option to walk away, but I decided to stay and bought a 2008 LS460L. Now... your case maybe different, but you should give it a shot anyway. Lawyers are there for them selves, not you.

BTW... This is a link to a Linked In profile of a person that helped me. I simply did a Google search and it came up. Maybe you can do the same thing...
http://www.linkedin.com/pub/karen-rotola/12/132/A10
Old 03-18-10, 06:36 AM
jmcraney
Forum Moderator

Received 277 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by dk0515
I'm assuming you MikeE12345 and jmcraney haven't read this entire thread. I've already spoke to Lexus corp a long time ago. All they have stated was that they will investigate what is happening and will get back to me. Then after sometime they said there are no updates. So, they stated I could start my lemon claim but it will take 6-8weeks to process.
dk0515,

I am sorry you are having such a problem with your car and I understand why you would not want the car anymore. Although my car continues to be trouble free, I am liking it less because of the way you and others are being treated.

If I have said anything to offend you, I apologize. I have read everything you have posted on your problem and I have followed closely the comments that others have made.

There seems little doubt that you will be needing the help of a legal professional. The reason I suggested that you contact Lexus Customer Support was to establish a "communications trail" to support that effort. Other ways to generate a trail is through USPS certified mail, voice recordings and written logs, but the electronic contact is the easiest to manage and document. Perhaps you have already done that.

I have been confused by your indications that Lexus is helping you with a "Lemon Claim." That is not something Lexus would help you with. Lemon Laws are state statutes that protect consumers from car manufacturers and dealers. Generally lemon law claims are brought by owners, through their state's Attorney General or Consumer Affairs Department, against manufacturers and dealers, and must be adjudicated by an independent arbitrator - claims are not always settled in favor of the owner.

Your state protects you through a Warranty Rights Act as long as your car is still in warranty. So it may be time to tell Lexus "times-up" and not pick up your car even if it becomes ready. Consult your legal advisor regarding that.

Your comment about your lawyer contacts evoking a possible Lemon Law claim regarding wind noise was interesting. That may be your Ace-In-The-Hole in this saga. Guard those repair tickets that mention "wind noise" like you would winning lotto tickets. There has been much legal precedent set in the LS460/600 wind noise Lemon Law buyback - probably more than a thousand so far.

Good luck.

Last edited by jmcraney; 03-18-10 at 09:00 AM.
Old 03-18-10, 08:47 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

i have to be honest and say a lot of ls460 owners here are first class and this thread proves it (again) tons of great information and support
Old 03-19-10, 06:15 PM
dk0515
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for all the support. Jmcran, sorry I didn't mean to seem disrespectful either. I understand completely what you stated.

Also dimpb, thanks for you advice. I will look into that.

Update: I just got a call from the dealer. Said they are having problems with o-rings and blah blah. Therefore...they are ordering a 2nd engine to replace the 1st new engine they got. LOL I didn't even get to test the first new engine and I already have another engine. This is just crazy. I'm waiting for the service manager to mail me all my service records for this car so once I get that, I will forward it to a few lawyers and figure out which I will hire.

Thank you everyone for all you input and help.

Last edited by dk0515; 03-22-10 at 04:05 PM.
Old 03-19-10, 10:35 PM
usermel
Lexus Test Driver

Hey buddy, I really hope things work out for you and your LS460. Lexus makes a great car for the most part and its very unfortunate that you have one of the ones that has sever issues. I know its hard to deal with the back and forth with the dealer my friend and hope this incident helps others as it has helped me appreciate more my car and its reliabilty. I took for granted so much how very few issues Iv'e had in most recent years.

Hopefully, after they install your new engine it will mean years of trouble free driving. Hoping only the best for you after such an uncalled for ordeal DK0515!!! L.G.N.M
Old 04-06-10, 11:00 AM
dk0515
Pole Position

Hey guys. I got a call from Corp. last week. They said that they will be buying back the car from me. They still haven't fixed the car yet. They will be emailing me sometime this week with an offer.

This is all without a lawyer. So, I won't be hiring one since they already agreed to buy it back. We'll just have to wait and see what deal they give us though.

Thanks for all the support and the help.
Old 04-06-10, 12:14 PM
caha14
Racer

Received 83 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by dk0515
Hey guys. I got a call from Corp. last week. They said that they will be buying back the car from me. They still haven't fixed the car yet. They will be emailing me sometime this week with an offer.

This is all without a lawyer. So, I won't be hiring one since they already agreed to buy it back. We'll just have to wait and see what deal they give us though.

Thanks for all the support and the help.
Congratulations! It took them forever, but I'm glad they're stepping up and doing the right thing for you. Looking forward to more good news once you get the details.
Old 04-06-10, 12:21 PM
usermel
Lexus Test Driver

WOW!!! They must have tried and tried to save your car and couldn't. Sorry for the trouble you experienced! Glad you are getting a buy back though. This should heal the wound a little.

I myself would have wished they just gave me another LS so I wouldnt have to go through the process again but, I guess the positive is how LEXUS finally stepped up and decided a buy back from you was best to compensate the customer. Good job LEXUS, got to give credit when they get it right!!! L.G.N.M
Old 04-06-10, 12:45 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

wow, took them long enough, i guess it's just something they can never fix

make sure they buy back your car at the original price including sales tax
Old 04-06-10, 01:10 PM
jmcraney
Forum Moderator

Received 277 Likes on 209 Posts

dko515,

I am thrilled for you that this saga is coming to a conclusion. And I am happy that you were able to move ahead with out the legal expenses.

If they don't offer you all your money back including tax, title and license, I suggest that you raise the wind noise issue. When your engine failed they were entitled to some of your money because you had use of the car for some time. But, the wind noise was an unresolved issue from early in the car's life. They have bought back many, many cars with lots of miles and time in service and refunded all the money. I would not think you are being picky to raise that issue and I don't think they will think you are being unreasonable and they may welcome the excuse to be more generous with you. And, I don't think you should feel any remorse over bringing up the wind noise issue, it was a problem that you should not have had. I continue to believe that the DIY wind noise fix is the best option for most people but that is beyond you now.
Old 04-06-10, 10:48 PM
AceVA
Driver

WOW - I cannot believe it's taken this long. I do hope if you purchase another Lexus, you find another dealer to have it serviced at. I cannot fathom why an entire service department and supposedly a Lexus FSE cannot resolve a no-start, even with a new engine.

Nonetheless, it's great news Lexus is stepping up for you. I knew they would -- as I mentioned before, people who immediately involve lawyers for this are typically extremely difficult to deal with and/or have backed themselves into a corner with their big mouths.

You have an incredible display of patience and I hope it pays off for you. Good luck and thanks for the update. I've been curious how this is working out for you.
Old 04-07-10, 01:29 AM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Glad to hear that it has come to a resolution with buyback. Lexus corporate stepped up it seems.

Originally Posted by rominl
i have to be honest and say a lot of ls460 owners here are first class and this thread proves it (again) tons of great information and support
Agreed!
Old 04-07-10, 06:41 AM
Mike_TX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

The only thing I'll say about this is that Lexus dealers apparently don't have to deal with items this serious very often, and a complete engine change-out is apparently almost unheard of.

Even though my problem was "only" a broken valve spring, they seemed to be completely puzzled about getting it back together and working right. And my dealer is no shadetree operation. They own a couple of Lexus stores and a Mercedes dealership locally, and some more stuff out of town.

These engines get put together on a bench and hardly ever have to be opened up again. But that tells me this: If I had one past the warranty period and it developed a serious problem I think I'd just park it in the worst area of town and leave the keys on the hood.

Old 04-19-10, 04:13 PM
cmc5dc
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm considering buying a used 2008 but my question would be, if the car is out of warranty would Lexus cover the problem since it is mechanical?

Quick Reply: 08 LS460 Shut Down and Won't Start Up