LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

LS 460 Pricing Help

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-10, 09:44 AM
lexus!!!!!
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS 460 Pricing Help

Hi All,

So after pulling everyone's opinion about their experiences with LS RWD (see "LS 460 RWD Handling on Snow "), we have decided to proceed with the LS.

I've found this 2007 LS 460, black ext. tan interior, with 42,000 miles, asking price $39,000. It's a non-certified vehicle, private lease 1-owner, no floor mats, one key, but has the ultra luxury package on it. Last service was a 25K maintenance at Lexus' on 1/29/2009, no records at Lexus' dealership ever since. Here is the VIN JTHBL46F875006207 if anyone curious to look at it.

How much do you think I could go down to? Or is it even worth buying this vehicle? I got the color and the package I want, but it seems like the vehicle wasn't well taken care of.
Old 01-20-10, 12:26 PM
jstjohnz
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Have you seen the vehicle? An extra key and mats should run $300-$400. It may just be that the guy had his service done elsewhere. The appearance of the vehicle can tell you a lot. I wouldn't go over 50% of original sticker. The car is still under warranty so you can add a Lexus extended warranty.
Old 01-20-10, 12:35 PM
jarm
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reply

When buying from an individual please either go over the car closely(that is if you know what to look for) or have someone do it for you. I was looking for a cheaper lexus. It had a clear carfax report so I thought it was OK. It was a one owner lease vehicle. But further investigation showed that it had been hit in the rear bumper, front left fender was painted, hood painted and the front bumper painted. BUT----------- if that does not bother you, the money that you save could make up for the paint work or any other work you have to do. It still has one year factory warranty left and you can buy an extended warranty. You can either pay 39K to him or 52K from the dealer. You can fix everything in the car under 8K yourself and still have money left over. Now you are going to have to have the 30K service, $750. Probably a brake job. $500. (dealer prices) California auctions for the ls 460, 30K miles for around $35K. Offer them $35K for the higer mileage.

jarm

Last edited by jarm; 01-20-10 at 12:42 PM.
Old 01-20-10, 01:15 PM
AceVA
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lexus!!!!!
I got the color and the package I want, but it seems like the vehicle wasn't well taken care of.
It seems like you're getting wrapped up in the excitement of a new-to-you vehicle and it may be clouding your judgment, IMO. If your gut feeling tells you that it wasn't taken care of, run away. If the things you can SEE bother you, imagine what you CAN'T see. Unless he can provide service records and/or you want to have an analysis done on the fluids, assume there's been no maintenance and act accordingly. (Personally, I do all of my own maintenance, but save all the receipts for this purpose.)

I haven't been here very long, but been here long enough to see several people purchase a used LS based on price alone and end up having issues. Remember the "if it seems too good to be true, it probably is" adage. Don't be discouraged, just take it slow, perform due diligence to ensure as many trouble-free miles as possible... even if it costs you a bit more up-front.

Originally Posted by jarm
When buying from an individual please either go over the car closely(that is if you know what to look for) or have someone do it for you. I was looking for a cheaper lexus. It had a clear carfax report so I thought it was OK. It was a one owner lease vehicle. But further investigation showed that it had been hit in the rear bumper, front left fender was painted, hood painted and the front bumper painted. BUT----------- if that does not bother you, the money that you save could make up for the paint work or any other work you have to do. It still has one year factory warranty left and you can buy an extended warranty. You can either pay 39K to him or 52K from the dealer. You can fix everything in the car under 8K yourself and still have money left over. Now you are going to have to have the 30K service, $750. Probably a brake job. $500. (dealer prices) California auctions for the ls 460, 30K miles for around $35K. Offer them $35K for the higer mileage.
jarm
I agree. Unfortunately, that's not limited to individuals. I've purchased Lexus Certified and not paid close attention (because it was "certified). Carfax was clean, but turns out it got tapped in the rear and had paint work. That's not a deal breaker. It's not uncommon to have the front of a vehicle resprayed for rock chips, etc. (especially with Lexus "environmentally friendly" soft paint.) I've done so. I get the work done at the Lexus dealer and save all records in case there's ever speculation - to prove the front wasn't smashed, it was just cosmetic touch-up. I'm very **** retentive about any previous paint-work, so I assume everyone will be.