LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Not happy with the 460?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-10, 07:27 AM
Mike_TX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by AceVA
I think too much is being read into the "jealousy" statements. I don't think Mike nor myself implied (or meant to) that anyone who doesn't like the LS460 is green with envy. Everyone has their own taste - no harm, no foul.
Yep, if you go back and read my post, all I said was that I attribute some of it to plain old jealousy. Not all of it ... just some of it.

And I stand by that - I think you'd have to agree that some 430 owners look at the 460 and get a little envious. I see it in every car forum I frequent ... a new model comes out and some owners of the older model invariably knock it. Secretly, many of these knockers really like the new model - they just feel a need to defend their own car and their own choice. It gets to be almost like a test of manhood in extreme cases.

I agree with Usermel, though - it's just a car, and I don't know why so many people get so emotionally wrapped up in it.

Old 02-02-10, 07:30 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

I always have great respect for the LS430, but the only reason I did not get one a couple years earlier(than the time I got my 460L) is the exterior design, I could have used a 4-door sedan earlier, but decided to wait just because of that.
That's the weakest part of the LS430, and like mentioned above, I can never get over its stodgy-looking styling.
I am glad I did wait for the LS460L and is very happy with it so far.
Old 02-02-10, 02:19 PM
Craig B
Pole Position

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts

I'd rather have my LS 460. I had an LS 430 before the 460... I don't regret my purchase. I had one of the first LS 460's at my dealer. I'm waiting on my GX 460 now. I'm keeping my LS 460...

Craig
Old 02-02-10, 02:49 PM
Slvr surfr
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Gojirra99
I always have great respect for the LS430, but the only reason I did not get one a couple years earlier(than the time I got my 460L) is the exterior design, I could have used a 4-door sedan earlier, but decided to wait just because of that.
That's the weakest part of the LS430, and like mentioned above, I can never get over its stodgy-looking styling.
I am glad I did wait for the LS460L and is very happy with it so far.

I'm glad we could clear this up without resentment for a fellow member. All opinions are valuable to me and its helping me make my decision on purchasing the 460 in the future. And moving on, the 460L you have will make a Maybach owner "jealous" . That thing is hot and,IMO, thats the best color on the 460.
Old 02-03-10, 09:49 AM
Wunko
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Mike_TX
Yep, if you go back and read my post, all I said was that I attribute some of it to plain old jealousy. Not all of it ... just some of it.

And I stand by that - I think you'd have to agree that some 430 owners look at the 460 and get a little envious. I see it in every car forum I frequent ... a new model comes out and some owners of the older model invariably knock it. Secretly, many of these knockers really like the new model - they just feel a need to defend their own car and their own choice. It gets to be almost like a test of manhood in extreme cases.

I agree with Usermel, though - it's just a car, and I don't know why so many people get so emotionally wrapped up in it.

Wow, never thought about it that way.

I don't own LS430 but I really like how it looks. I do like the conservative look and it isn't as curvy or bulky as the LS460 or current generation Lexus cars but I wouldnt say the LS460 looks bad or anything. Still, I would prefer to get a 2010 LS mainly because it is updated in looks and features, especially the LS460 Sport!
Old 02-03-10, 02:09 PM
OPSBD
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So far it appears the only people who do not like the 460 is those who do not own one.
Old 02-03-10, 02:16 PM
Slvr surfr
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by OPSBD
So far it appears the only people who do not like the 460 is those who do not own one.
Not all true! I think the folks that are really unhappy are not part of this forum although some have some general/moderate complaints but nothing that would say they flat out don't like it.

And i hope your comment was not an "elitist" one. That would start this thing all over again.
Old 02-03-10, 02:24 PM
usermel
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I myself like the LS 460. What amazes me is the arrogance of those who own the LS 460. I think anytime people are called out and seen as elitist in there mindset they get offensive. Has it ever been thought of that maybe everyone won't like the LS460? Its like every rich/wealthy person doesnt decide to even own a luxury car. So, my question is if a millionaire(unknown he/she is wealthy) was to come on this site who owns a Camry and he/she had said they dont like the LS 460 because they dont like its looks nor do they like paying for a car based on luxury. They just want to get were they are trying to go so they got a Camry(2005 Camry they have had for 4 years)! Will he also be envious? Weres your humility. Just respect the fact other members dont like the LS 460(I like it)!

My point is this. When will one of those who own a LS 460 get real!If they dont like it so what, you do!!! I cant see how any of you can truly think that just because others(not me) that dont like this car are saying it out of envy. Nothing on earth and no person is liked by everyone. I just think that some(most because they just got comfortable with the previous style) of the LS 430 owners dont like the LS 460. The reason why is BODY STYLE if you ask them. Its a matter of taste, be humble and WISE. See how others feel not yourself. Dont assume you know what they think. They just dont like the BODY STYLE.

As for me, I like the LS 460. Its more advanced etc.! The reason why I have been gunshy to buy it is I dont care for the exterior. I get it confused with the ES/GS sometimes and my friends who all are rich/wealthy have either the Benz/BMW/Maybach/Porshe/Jag and they say the same about it not having its own look like the other flagships. The LS' BODY STYLE is not appealing to them. Thats what isnt liked about the LS 460 when it comes to those on this site(some, not all LS 430 and LS 400 owners) and elsewere. Those who LIKE the LS 460 like its look and thats great. I have still to decide if i'll get the S550 Benz or LS 460 and cant decide so Im patiently waiting because my next car is my birthday gift to me(should get it in August when I decide)!!

Just because Im doing well financially, everyone who doesnt like me isnt jealous. Sometimes people dont like people or the same cars or homes etc.! Sometimes we need to accept all dislike isnt hate! Love, MEL!! L.G.N.M(Love God Not Money)

Last edited by usermel; 02-03-10 at 02:33 PM.
Old 02-05-10, 09:53 PM
gewe21
Lead Lap

Default Not happy here, and I own one

Then I'm the only exception. I moved from '02 LS430 (bought brand new) to '07 LS460L (bought pre-owned 2 years ago w/ 10k miles on it). I love the look of the 460 much better, but I enjoy the ride better in the 430. There's something in the 460's driving dynamics that feels weird, it could either be the 18" rims with low profile tires that makes bumps a little sharper, or the extra weight of the L that makes the car leans a little too much. There are other complaints (electrical, sticking brakes) that never plagued my 430.

But it's done deal, and it would be stupid to go back to 430 now.
Old 02-05-10, 10:28 PM
cmasten
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by gewe21
Then I'm the only exception. I moved from '02 LS430 (bought brand new) to '07 LS460L (bought pre-owned 2 years ago w/ 10k miles on it). I love the look of the 460 much better, but I enjoy the ride better in the 430. There's something in the 460's driving dynamics that feels weird, it could either be the 18" rims with low profile tires that makes bumps a little sharper, or the extra weight of the L that makes the car leans a little too much. There are other complaints (electrical, sticking brakes) that never plagued my 430.

But it's done deal, and it would be stupid to go back to 430 now.
run flats? curious as I thought the same about my SC, but got rid of them and the ride improved 1000%. The type of tire you use will make a difference, the lower the profile the worst the ride, but your handling may improve... its a trade off.
Old 02-08-10, 04:03 PM
cmr3rd
9th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 430/460--Different Animals

Have owned both and conclude they are two different animals. Wind noise big disappointment on LS460 (2007). No fix has worked yet. No air shocks on LS460, thus ride is rougher. 460 is a little narrower inside, and because it is lower to ground, a little tougher to get into for a big guy. 460 trans and engine amazing and smooth. Glove box and dashboard amenities were better on 430 without a doubt. (Better fit and more convenient). 460 trunk is a loser compared to 430. 430 looks like you are on Medicare. 460 is a styling dream and commands respect. 430 bad in snow. 460 in snow . . . . forget it. Park it.
Old 02-08-10, 05:45 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by cmr3rd
Have owned both and conclude they are two different animals. Wind noise big disappointment on LS460 (2007). No fix has worked yet. No air shocks on LS460, thus ride is rougher. 460 is a little narrower inside, and because it is lower to ground, a little tougher to get into for a big guy. 460 trans and engine amazing and smooth. Glove box and dashboard amenities were better on 430 without a doubt. (Better fit and more convenient). 460 trunk is a loser compared to 430. 430 looks like you are on Medicare. 460 is a styling dream and commands respect. 430 bad in snow. 460 in snow . . . . forget it. Park it.
i have to say, i agree so much with this post
Old 02-09-10, 10:29 AM
beun
Rookie

I for one owned a LS430 with sports suspension and now a LS460L with touring option. I can agree with everyone that 460 looks way better, although the 430 with sports suspension wasn't too bad either. Overall though the 460 is a disappointment with a whole range of mind numbingly stupid ergonomical mistakes.

1) Wind and engine noise (no explanation needed)
2) Terrible seats (at least to both me and the wife), the lumbar is just plain horrible. And why is the lumbar not memorized?
3) Channel up/down, why change it to a left/right button instead of leaving it at up/down.
4) From where I sit I cannot see if the seat warmer/cooler is on or not, it it just 1" to far under the arm-rest overhang.
5) Why remove the storage space in the center console, now I had to remove the ashtray insert just to put my cell phone somewhere.
6) Is it me or does the paneling around the trunk open button feel more flimsy.
7) The nav override is gone.
8) Why does the radio accept a CD with MP3's but not a DVD with MP3's, otherwise it is perfectly capable of reading a DVD.
9) Why doesn't a phone number show on the display when the car is moving, how safe can it be to dig out your cell phone.
10) The spot light button is now so small you cannot fine it anymore, what was wrong with just pressing the light itself?
11) Neither the nav or Lexuslink understand my English, so all the voice commands are utterly useless
12) I don't know what is wrong with the brakes but you have to press really hard not to let the car pull through them when idling.

I am pretty sure I forgot a few, if anyone is interested in my ramblings I will update when I remember the rest of them.

They did get a few things right as least.

1) The transmission doesn't lurch anymore when accelerating just before a dead stop
2) The Bluetooth actually works
3) They finally got the polarization on the display right, on the 430 it was set up for right hand drive.
Old 02-09-10, 03:11 PM
Maurice
Driver

Not quite. I have an '07 LS460 (at least for 1 more month and then the lease is up). I have not been pleased with it. Mostly because of the wind noise, but also other issues.

The LS460 replaced an '04 LS430 - Now that was a flawless car.
Old 02-09-10, 07:02 PM
ikeb
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The only things i don't like about my 2010 LS 460 are:

1) My iphone with the navigon app is better than the lexus nav system.
2) there is no #2

some of the things i like: i am coming from 3 straight Jag XJs. My 460 is far superior to the Jags. This car rides perfectly for me (i like the floating on air feeling rather than a hard ride like a BMW) and has no wind noise (jags were terrible). Seats are comfortable, back seat has lots of leg room. Trunk is big. I use one of the cup holders as a holder for my iphone (bought a iphone cup-holder ($20) for the cup-holder). Car has lots of gizmos to screw with - i'm a happy camper!!

There are a couple of things i wish i had gotten with the car. 1) Variable cruise control. 2) lane change warning.

Quick Reply: Not happy with the 460?