LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Not happy with the 460?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-10, 04:43 PM
OPSBD
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Not happy with the 460?

There's a post in the 430 section stating a lot of people are not happy with their 460. I'm a little confused because I have never been so pleased with a car in all my days.

Is it true, a lot of you are dissatisfied with your 460? If so why?
Old 01-31-10, 05:19 PM
gs4mock2
Rookie

i think i started that .......................
Old 01-31-10, 06:09 PM
alsilverbullet
Instructor

Received 62 Likes on 18 Posts

Not sure why they are complaining but I guess it is all relative. I love my LS 460 and glad I purchased it
Old 01-31-10, 06:36 PM
Mike_TX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Not trying to start something by saying this, but I've noticed a lot of 430 owners talking down the 460. I attribute some of it to plain old jealousy, and some of it to lack of knowledge. I guess the rest of it is just that tastes vary and some of them flat don't like the 460.

I'm on the other side of the fence - I don't like the 430 ... too blocky, too stodgy-looking for my tastes. To me, the 460 is far and away the best-looking LS ever, and the most powerful. But not everyone agrees, I guess.

I say to each his own.

Old 01-31-10, 07:02 PM
AceVA
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mike_TX
Not trying to start something by saying this, but I've noticed a lot of 430 owners talking down the 460. I attribute some of it to plain old jealousy, and some of it to lack of knowledge. I guess the rest of it is just that tastes vary and some of them flat don't like the 460.

I'm on the other side of the fence - I don't like the 430 ... too blocky, too stodgy-looking for my tastes. To me, the 460 is far and away the best-looking LS ever, and the most powerful. But not everyone agrees, I guess.

I say to each his own.

That was my thought as well, Mike - couldn't agree more. I suspect in several more years when the LS460 bottoms out in the used car market, these same folks will suddenly find them to be gems.

The 430 doesn't do it for me, never has. It looked antiquated when the first one rolled off the assembly line. That's just my humble opinion though.

As for unhappy owners... I've only read of a few problems and even those few, I don't recall more than two saying they were unhappy with the vehicle on the whole. I've owned many, many (3 dozen) over the years ranging from Hyundai to Mercedes -- the LS460 is the finest automobile I've ever had the pleasure of owning or driving. I can't speak to the LS430 - never driven one.

Whatever you own - enjoy.
Old 01-31-10, 11:56 PM
usermel
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Bottomline is people will always be bias and say they aren't! I find the comments of those here who own LS460's biased as do I those who own LS430's a bit biased as well in the LS430 section. Nothing wrong with that at all. That said, jealousy is an emotion people get when they want something another person/persons have!

I feel saying that because someone doesnt like what you like its unfair and so not nice to call those folks jealous and comes of a bit elitist! Not to say that is the intent of those who feel LS 430 owners are jealous but, think before you speak(saying this humbly and with respect to my fellow member). I myself can afford a S600 Benz/LS600 as Im sure alot of others who just like the LS 430 can do as well. I buy what I do based on personal taste. Im happy for those who can afford a LS 460 myself.

I dont like the body change but, Im sure the car is two times better than my LS 430. Thats me being humble. The reason why its not liked by alot of LS430 owners is the same reason why LS 400 owners didnt care for the new LS 430, they got used to the look of the current generation and liked it better. It wasnt jealousy.

Who's to say a person who drives a LS 460 owns it or leases it! Whos to say if one owns a LS 430 if they own it is lease that as well. Im not at all upset by the statement of jealousy, Im more confused. WHY? We all love Lexus thts for sure. I doubt jealousy is more than 10% of those who dont like the LS460's reason for not liking it. Also, the LS 460(or S 550 Benz) may be my next car besides me not caring for the exterior because I love LEXUS reliability and I like the interior of the new LS 460, just not the exterior!!

To say someone is jealous is to imply they envy what you have because they cant attain it my fellow member. I dont take offence to your statement but, I'm sure some fellow members will. Its just a car. Me myself, Cars dont make the MAN. His or her charecter does! L.G.N.M

Last edited by usermel; 02-01-10 at 12:04 AM. Reason: speliing
Old 02-01-10, 02:54 AM
Johnny
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

A twist of fate determined my acquisition of the 460 and now the 600. I was originally set on buying a 430 demo, but the dealership gave it to another customer, and only by one day. Otherwise, I would probably still be driving one. However, I doubt I would be dissing the 460 had that been the case... I mean really, what would be the point; they're both excellent vehicles. From my recollections, other than the drivetrain & APGS, the two were very similar interior-wise, with the exterior receiving the most extensive facelift.

Just re-visited the salesman who sold that 430 a few weeks back. Needless to say, he was grinding his teeth when I told him what I did eventually.
Old 02-01-10, 06:06 AM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I really like the LS460, but I just can't seem to get rid of my LS430 just yet. Maybe in a couple years I'll buy one right out and still keep my 430.
Old 02-01-10, 06:36 AM
CEOEngr
Intermediate

Originally Posted by TJW98LS
I really like the LS460, but I just can't seem to get rid of my LS430 just yet. Maybe in a couple years I'll buy one right out and still keep my 430.
+1. We still have our 430, it has been a very reliable performer. The 07 460L has also been good but pretty soon it will be out of warranty with only 21,000 miles, and we are debating whether to trade it in for the hybrid 600.
Old 02-01-10, 02:09 PM
Nospinzone

Received 427 Likes on 330 Posts

I don't like the 430 ... too blocky, too stodgy-looking for my tastes.

Bingo!
Old 02-01-10, 06:07 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Mike_TX

I say to each his own.

I agree, but I tend to like sleeker sport sedans.
Old 02-01-10, 06:07 PM
Slvr surfr
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by usermel
Bottomline is people will always be bias and say they aren't! I find the comments of those here who own LS460's biased as do I those who own LS430's a bit biased as well in the LS430 section. Nothing wrong with that at all. That said, jealousy is an emotion people get when they want something another person/persons have!

I feel saying that because someone doesnt like what you like its unfair and so not nice to call those folks jealous and comes of a bit elitist! Not to say that is the intent of those who feel LS 430 owners are jealous but, think before you speak(saying this humbly and with respect to my fellow member). I myself can afford a S600 Benz/LS600 as Im sure alot of others who just like the LS 430 can do as well. I buy what I do based on personal taste. Im happy for those who can afford a LS 460 myself.

I dont like the body change but, Im sure the car is two times better than my LS 430. Thats me being humble. The reason why its not liked by alot of LS430 owners is the same reason why LS 400 owners didnt care for the new LS 430, they got used to the look of the current generation and liked it better. It wasnt jealousy.

Who's to say a person who drives a LS 460 owns it or leases it! Whos to say if one owns a LS 430 if they own it is lease that as well. Im not at all upset by the statement of jealousy, Im more confused. WHY? We all love Lexus thts for sure. I doubt jealousy is more than 10% of those who dont like the LS460's reason for not liking it. Also, the LS 460(or S 550 Benz) may be my next car besides me not caring for the exterior because I love LEXUS reliability and I like the interior of the new LS 460, just not the exterior!!

To say someone is jealous is to imply they envy what you have because they cant attain it my fellow member. I dont take offence to your statement but, I'm sure some fellow members will. Its just a car. Me myself, Cars dont make the MAN. His or her charecter does! L.G.N.M

Thanks for clearing most of that up Usermel!. I believe that i asked a question like this last week but only got two responses. No idea why. It seems like this thread starters question appealed more to the responders liking. Anyway, my goal was not to start any LS "beefs" as i stated before but i see that it was inevitable. The reason i asked is from what i read on both the 460 and 430 forums,from owners of both, that there where things they didn't like about the cars after they purchased it. We all know that the 460 was made to take the LS to newer heights in refinement and, IMO, i believe it has done that well. I myself, plan to get one if and when im done with the my 430. Nevertheless, jealousy is not and will not play a part of me asking someone to state there opinion about a car in a "car forum" or anything else. I believe most of us on the forum are mature enough to read a question and figure out if one is bashing something or someone and answer in a respectable way. We all have our likes and dislikes and unfortunately the LS is among them and there is nothing wrong with one expressing that to fellow club members. I believe that is one of the things this club is about: expression. If one is jealous about another man's accomplishments then they have a problem to deal with and likewise for the person who feels "hated on" by someone who doesn't like what they have accomplished. This wasn't what i was hoping for .

Last edited by LexFather; 02-09-10 at 12:08 AM. Reason: fixed quote tags
Old 02-01-10, 08:48 PM
usermel
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Smile Well!!!

[QUOTE=Slvr surfr;5190766]
Originally Posted by usermel

To say someone is jealous is to imply they envy what you have because they cant attain it my fellow member. I dont take offence to your statement but, I'm sure some fellow members will. Its just a car. Me myself, Cars dont make the MAN. His or her charecter does! L.G.N.M[/QUOTE

Thanks for clearing most of that up Usermel!. I believe that i asked a question like this last week but only got two responses. No idea why. It seems like this thread starters question appealed more to the responders liking. Anyway, my goal was not to start any LS "beefs" as i stated before but i see that it was inevitable. The reason i asked is from what i read on both the 460 and 430 forums,from owners of both, that there where things they didn't like about the cars after they purchased it. We all know that the 460 was made to take the LS to newer heights in refinement and, IMO, i believe it has done that well. I myself, plan to get one if and when im done with the my 430. Nevertheless, jealousy is not and will not play a part of me asking someone to state there opinion about a car in a "car forum" or anything else. I believe most of us on the forum are mature enough to read a question and figure out if one is bashing something or someone and answer in a respectable way. We all have our likes and dislikes and unfortunately the LS is among them and there is nothing wrong with one expressing that to fellow club members. I believe that is one of the things this club is about: expression. If one is jealous about another man's accomplishments then they have a problem to deal with and likewise for the person who feels "hated on" by someone who doesn't like what they have accomplished. This wasn't what i was hoping for .
It goes to show that even if you like the same thing just different years for the models, HUMANS will always find a way to disagree. I cant understand the jealousy comment. Most hear in the LS section seem to be folks who can afford nice cars. WE ll seem like responsible adults. I know there are some here on the LS section of clublexus who had there car purchased for them but, a think 70% here paid for there cars on there own.

I think its simple. When people are eating at a better eatery they speak of it with those who ate there. Same goes for here. We may be seen as folks who couldnt afford the LS 460. The funny thing is I can bet some who have the LS now may be struggling to make there payments as we speak. Its the reading the book cover theory. They see you me and others on the LS 400/430 section as those who cant add up to LS 460. This doesnt apply to ALL LS 460 owners by the way. Just those who feel a questions has bad intent due to envy.

Ive learned in 36 years two things. Never underestimate others and never overestimate myself. Meaning dont assume anything about others. Are some jealous of LS 460 owners? YES! That said, I still say never assume someone whos curious is the jealous one.

I have seen alot of complaints on the LS 430 section about the LS460 and that may make LS 460 owners feel just as bad as they try and make LS 430 owners feel about the fact we own LS 430's still. I take no offence at all to it. Im just perplexed how we as HUMANS always find way to argue or disagree and we only hear what WE want. If someones for us there our buddy. If there against us we are upset! Just a thought. I LOVE the LS 460 myself, just dont feel LEXUS did a good job making it unique exterior WISE like the BENZ or BMW. Thats what all the LS' lacked in my humble opinion.

LExus is still trying to find out how to make the LS what BENZ is, a no doubt clssic body style. When compared to Benzes body style its not unique and what I hear about the new LS the most is it looks to much like thhe ES and a bit like the GS. Not what I say but what people say to me about Lexus and they say bad things about my LS 430's body style to! Go figure.
Old 02-01-10, 09:10 PM
AceVA
Driver

I think too much is being read into the "jealousy" statements. I don't think Mike nor myself implied (or meant to) that anyone who doesn't like the LS460 is green with envy. Everyone has their own taste - no harm, no foul.

I don't really base the measure of a man based on his possessions and could care less what one reads into my choice of vehicles. My LS460 spends a good portion of its time in the garage... as a daily driver, I alternate between my 2008 Silverado and my Expedition - certainly not status symbols. I bought the Lexus simply to have a nice, comfortable car to enjoy on weekends and the occasional evening out. If I were concerned about a status symbol, I would have purchased the S-class. MB, however, is frankly junk in spite of the glorious Mercedes name, so I opted for the award-winning Lexus. No regrets.

All that said, I read the comments in the LS430 forum... some were clearly made in vain and one would have to be relatively thick to not see the masked envy. Many could afford an LS460, but opt to purchase a somewhat older and cheaper vehicle and spend obscene amounts in modifications that appeal to them and make them stand out. To each his own. Enjoy what you drive, who cares what others think.
Old 02-01-10, 09:29 PM
willhickey
Lexus Test Driver

i think the ls460 is by far the sexiest ls ever produced..... I think they went a little risky on the looks instead of bland like they usually do and it was a big hit. Much more of a head turner than a ls400 or ls430 anyday IN MY PERSONAL OPINION.

Quick Reply: Not happy with the 460?