LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Keys Locking Inside Car!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-10, 06:32 PM
TWelson
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Keys Locking Inside Car!!

I have a '09 LS460. My Lexus dealer says it is not possible but I'm saying it is! 3 times the car has locked with the keys inside. "They" say the only way for it to lock with the keys inside would be to intentionaly slide the lever by the handle (the good old fashion locking mechanism) or to push the button on the arm rest (I dont recall if this one does it or not). In any event, I am quite certain either has been the case.

The first time, I blamed myself... not sure why but it just seemed like I must have done something stupid. (Although I must say, I always left the keys in my previous '05 LS430. 5 years and never once an issue.)

The second time, Ok... this is not me, what's going on!

The third time, (@#$%!!) now what!!

My dealer has looked into it, says there are no other issues reported. I have not seen any posts around here...

Thoughts? Anyone?
Old 02-17-10, 06:47 PM
jmcraney

Received 276 Likes on 208 Posts

Well, it is possible to lock the car with a remote key in the the car by using another remote key. It is not possible to lock a remote key in the car by using the lock button on the doors. So, who has the other remote when this happens?
Old 02-17-10, 07:17 PM
TWelson
Driver School Candidate

Well... You bring up a good point. I failed to mention this because it seemed a tad far fetched but now that you mention it.

In all three cases (luckily) the car was parked within approx 50ft from the other set of keys. Twice in the garage at home, once at my office. You correctly imply that someone may have inadvertently pushed the lock on the other remote. Although conceiveable, highly unlikely. The two times in the garage, the other keys were hanging on the wall, so very unlikely they would have been tinkered with or bumped. The time at the office (my wife works with me) she saw me go to my car, attempt to open the door, and return to the office. In this case, she pulled the keys from her purse and unlocked it for me. Now prior to that could she have been fumbling through her purse and triggered a lock. One cannot rule out that posibility, but again, not likely (and to that end I even questioned her on that possiblity).

Again, although "possible", highly unlikely the other set of keys are locking it intentional. My theory is similar though, in that, It has not gone unnoticed that all three times I was saved by being near the other set of keys (one would remember this vs being in a parking lot! . I contend the other set of keys are sending some sort of random single or somehow confusing the vehicle when it is within reach.

All that said, It may very well be me (nothing from the dealer and no posts around here would suggest that!) but either theory just seems all to coincidental. At the very least, I've thought are those key fobs to sensitive (then again, if they are... why just me...)

Quite a conundrom!

any additional input would be greatly appreciated...
Old 02-17-10, 07:33 PM
jmcraney

Received 276 Likes on 208 Posts

It is very unlikely that your wife somehow caused this to happen by rummaging through her purse. A more deliberate action is required to operate the remote. I have done that with other cars by putting my key in my tight-jeans pocket and squatting down.

A possibility might be something like your wife trying to lock or unlock her car with the wrong remote and inadvertently locking your car.
Old 02-17-10, 09:38 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

when the door is open, pressing the lock button on the armrest wont' do anything, it will lock and unlock the door right the way.

but i wonder if it's possible that when you pull the lever to open the door and get out, you accidentally, flip the lock which is right by the lever, and shut the door that way?
Old 02-17-10, 10:39 PM
Johnny
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

I've done this quite a few times, when leaving my wife's remote in the car (as in her purse). There are times when it is expedient to do so, as long as you don't intend to leave the car unattended for a long period. JMcraney is correct, you would not be able to accomplish same by using the door handle's push-button lock as it take two keyfobs (or credit card fob) to do so.

On the other hand, there have been a few similar instances when the car locked itself, as reported here by some members. However, in those cases there was not a keyfob in the car at the time, and that phenomena is still in the unsolved category.
Old 02-17-10, 10:48 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Well in any case, it's recommended to keep your key fobs apart as much as possible, at least to prevent the battery from draining. Maybe there is some strange interactive effect between the two fobs being present.
Old 02-18-10, 04:53 PM
TWelson
Driver School Candidate

"phenomena is still in the unsolved category"

yeah... I think that is where it ends up. I appreciate everybodys input. As much as anything I wanted to get it out there for reference and to possibly help others.

The misfortune is that it only needs to happen once (or x3 in my case) and you lose all confidence in it's ability to function correctly. So, albeit a minor issue, a black cloud lumes over that for the duration of my stay in the car. Kind of taints the whole "driving experience" thing...
Old 02-21-10, 06:46 PM
Joel4282GS
Driver School Candidate

best to keep keys away from all electronic devices for best battery life. the trick to testing the battery is to hit the button three times and make sure the light flashes on time each time. if the battery is weak or dead the light will not flash all times or at all. If the battery is dead ir weak in the key it can be locked into the trunk. keep good batteries in the keys is the best thing to do.